Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 12:39
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 158/147/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Hunger and headaches

I have the CAD book, and after reading posts here, I've ordered the CALP book, which I should have in a few days.

In the meantime, I'm having a hunger issue, especially at night. I've only been doing CAD a few days, am hoping this will get better, but it isn't. I know the CAD book says no snacks, but I've broken down and had a slice of cheese, or a boiled egg in the wee hours of the morning because I'm awake, starving, and have a headache. I used to have dessert before bedtime, but can't do that now. I tried upping the protein and reducing the carbs at my RM last night, but it didn't make a difference. I've also found myself hungry a couple of hours after a CM, which I've managed to get through by drinking water and unsweetened tea. I haven't made any other changes, like cutting out caffeine, just reduced the carbs by following the CAD book.

Will I ever stop being hungry? Is it normal to get headaches like this? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 14:17

Plan: Divinely Mine
Stats: 223.8/222.8/170.0 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: 2%

I'm more of general low carb, so just check with what I write - for me, when I started I knew I couldn't do RM daily as I would have too many issues, but decided to have them ONCE in a blue moon - like tonight is a baked apple. Also, the first two weeks I was hungry and then read about fat. So I upped my fat intake that week - wasn't as hungry. Upped it even more the next week and since then I really don't get hungry like before. If I am, I check to see if I'm missing fat - usually the last meal didn't have enough, I will take a tablespoon of good coconut oil and have that. (Will mix it with a bit of sf jam to give it some taste to get it down) Coconut oil has saved me lots of times, that and bacon. It's not the protien that does it, it's the fat.
Can you add more fat into your meals? It might help you more. Just a thought.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 07:38
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
first of all, there is something the Atkins people call the "induction flu"- when you come off all the carbs you feel like you have the flu. I did not feel great the first few days but it got better.

What are you eating for RM? It is impossible for us to comment if we don't know what you are eating. Please give us more info. You should NOT be starving, but snacks are okay too.
please let us know your meals for a few days-
E
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 10:54

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I agree with Eno. I wish I could say I've never gone off and on plan, but I have over the years. I almost always feel icky for about 2-3 days, then I'm good and begin feeling better and better.

You should not be hungry! Please do post a typical day or two of food logs, so folks can comment.

I do snack, somedays I don't eat often at all (i.e. yesterday, was just coffee and half and half as first "meal", then did not eat for hours when I had a cm with food, no snacks at all, just finished the day with a rm).

The headache, I'd check your water intake.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 23:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everybody for the replies. I am feeling a bit better today, at least in terms of the headaches.

I haven't been keeping a food journal (shame on me), but breakfast has been bacon and eggs or an omelet, lunch a salad with chicken, and dinner a bit variable. Tonight was pork roast, cabbage and blackeyed peas (happy new year!), yesterday was shrimp cocktail, chicken, kale, white beans and cornbread, day before was a cheeseburger on a whole wheat bun and grilled veggies. Coffee with breakfast, the rest of the day water and unsweetened iced tea and an occasional diet coke.

Too many carbs with dinner? Not enough fat/protein?
Thanks for your help!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 15:06
Registered Member

BF:

I think I've solved the problem. I'm going to chalk most of it up to sugar withdrawal. My daytime hunger has decreased greatly. I've actually skipped breakfast a couple of days since I just wasn't hungry for it. I've cut the carbs in my RM a bit and am no longer getting hungry after dinner. I've also cut out the splenda except for coffee at breakfast.
Still waiting for the mailman to bring my CALP book!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 15:49

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitgirl
I think I've solved the problem. I'm going to chalk most of it up to sugar withdrawal. My daytime hunger has decreased greatly. I've actually skipped breakfast a couple of days since I just wasn't hungry for it. I've cut the carbs in my RM a bit and am no longer getting hungry after dinner. I've also cut out the splenda except for coffee at breakfast.
Still waiting for the mailman to bring my CALP book!

Sounds positive! Glad to hear you are beginning to experience some of the benefits