Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/166/143 Female 5ft3in
BF:too much
Progress: 38%
Default Xmas Leg Ham Australia

ASked this question in Atkins support section but asking here too.

Is the leg ham (off the bone real type) that we have here at xmas time okay for us??? does it contain sugar etc etc??

What kind of ham from the deli can we have at other times???

desperate for some ham!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 20:33

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

Most ham is ok as an occasional thing. Read the nutritional labels, and just count the incidental carbs and you'll be fine. Do keep an eye on salt content though when eating a lot of processed meats, and some people have found they like to avoid nitrates too (personally I'm not that worried about them, but I don't eat much processed meat)
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 21:50
Registered Member

Thanks Abbey, I don't eat a lot of processed meats (not any more that is)...but I'm trying to plan the xmas menu and find a convenient snack that's easy to suck on right now with no bottom teeth..lol

Can you tell me what cream cheese is 'cause I know it can't be Kraft's Cream Cheese Spread.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 22:01
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine2203
Can you tell me what cream cheese is 'cause I know it can't be Kraft's Cream Cheese Spread.

Philadelphia cream cheese.

Funny you should mention ham... I just glazed a ham the other day. Using much of it for DH's lunches, and have frozen him a bunch of ham sangas.
But the glaze was wonderful - I cut off the skin, cut the fat in a diamond pattern and poked a clove into each diamond. For a glaze I just used Atkins maple syrup (available in Coles and Woolworths most, if not all, of the time) with a glob of Dijon mustard.

HTH, and keep asking questions. Every time you ask a question, there are usually heaps of lurkers who also appreciate the answer.

Roz
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 22:07
Registered Member

ohhhhh Philly! well that'll do nicely on a slice of ham!
So you don't eat the ham either Rosebud?
after you glazed the ham did you cook it??? I always wondered how the Americans have HOT ham for xmas and how it's done.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 22:27
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, I eat the ham, but not between 2 slices of bread.

Here is how I do my ham: First remove the skin...think I already said that...
I buy the already cooked ham, so it's just a matter of heating, not cooking, but it still needs to be heated properly apparently.
Anyway, the instructions I found say to have the oven at 160ºC, and heat the ham for 18 to 25 minutes per pound. (I just went with 20 minutes.) My (half) ham was 4 kilos, so that made 8.8 pounds, so I heated it for a total of 3 hours (technically should have been 176 minutes or so. )
I covered it with Alfoil for the first 2 hours, then dabbed on the glaze. It needs to be checked regularly once the foil has gone, because the upper bits will brown more quickly then the rest. I wound up putting a bit of foil on the upper edge. Also dabbed on more glaze after about half an hour.
It looked really impressive!
Also, I stand the ham on a rack, with an inch or so of water in the baking pan.

In the olden pre LC days, I used to glaze with orange juice, mustard and brown sugar, but this new version was just as good, if not better.

To keep a ham, it is best stored (in the fridge of course) in a damp "hambag." Supermarkets sell them at Christmas time, but all a hambag (I love saying that! ) is is a calico bag or cloth. You can use a tea towel or pillow case, but I use Coles calico shopping bags. You need to wet it and wring it out well, and change to a fresh bag every day.
Edit: Apparently it will keep for up to a fortnight, if stored like this.

Roz
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 03:13
Registered Member

I just love hot ham! so you're saying it's okay to eat!
Can I come to your place for dinner next time you cook the ham?? LOL

I keep ham at xmas time in a calico bag but I made my own as I had a lot left over (calico that is) after a lot of other sewing last year. I found my ham kept a little over 2 weeks maybe even 3, I wet the bag and wring it out then spray it with vinegar....that was a tip from my mother years ago.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 04:30
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

Oh I love that glaze Idea! I have lots of sf syrups, the maple is thicker, I may add some orange or pinapple sf syrup to it to.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 00:07

Stats: 333.4/310.2/130 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks for the Ham ideas Rosebud......... makes sorting out next Christmas easier