Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-12, 18:43
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
Hi lee,
What kind of problem are you having? How long been going on? How long have you been low carbing.
no idea, what is contrast with an X-ray?

hi Candice, I've had pain, nausea, chronic daily diarrahea (up to 20 times a day) and a little bloating for about 2 years (but milder problems for about 15 years prior to that). I've been low carbing for about 2 and a half years - which has made it worse because I eat a better diet with more veg, and fibre makes the symptoms worse, whereas processed rubbish and sugar is easier for me to digest. I'm having tests for crohn's disease at present.

For an xray of your intestines, contrast would be a barium drink which sticks to the side of your intestines and shows up issues much more clearly (though if your problems are lower down, then it would be a barium enema, rather than a drink).

Lee
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-12, 19:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

I have had issues for years as well, and like you low carb made them worse. I wonder ibs too.i alway thought I was in ketosis when I got that horrible fatty/water diahrea(sorry tmi!) but now I am thinking it just has to do with eating higher fat and body not liking it. I am afraid of dr telling me no more fatty things. I have been low carbing for like 3 years now. Now this pain my my belly dr days maybe trapped gas or whatnot.. My back is killing me and now my stomach is huge!! I am in pain and frustrated. I want an answer now, but I think it will be months. I have two small kids to take care of and I am not sleeping well at night because of the back pain. It's hard to get through my day.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-12, 19:26

And honestly I am getting afraid to eat.. The more I eat, and even drink(water) the worse the pain I hardly ate today and I can bairly stand the pain in my back. I am afraid to eat anymore
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-12, 21:20
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
And honestly I am getting afraid to eat.. The more I eat, and even drink(water) the worse the pain I hardly ate today and I can bairly stand the pain in my back. I am afraid to eat anymore

Where is the pain exactly? And are you passing motions normally? If it hurts to eat, don't eat, just sip water. But if you get to the point when you can't drink, then you need to go the hospital or you will dehydrate rapidly.

My issues aren't about fat, luckily but about fibre and difficulty digesting meats and even eggs, if I eat low residue - basically if I'm eating low carb I have to cook everything for 12 hours in the slow cooker so that I can digest it without too much issue.

Lee
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 09:35

Plan: Atkins/Reduced dairy
Stats: 280/200/180 Male 5'8
BF:30.4%
Progress: 80%

Do you suffer from joint pain/swelling & sleepy a lot of the time?
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-12, 15:00
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

This sounds very much like IBS -D (d is for diahreah) - the bloating, diahreah, fatigue, no conclusive results. I started with IBS-D, then it turned into IBD and now crohnes. I can tell you, and you're not going to like to hear this, but vegi's and fatty foods are very bad for these conditions. Your fatigue is probably from dehydration - you need to get re-hydrated and water will not help - in fact, too much water will give you even more bloating and diahreah. Gatorade or childrens pediolite at room temperature help a lot. You could also try eating dry toast and plain chicken breast (no skin, no brown meat). Mylanta helps a lot, also if you can get your doctor to prescribe something like belladonna (it's a med that will slow down your gi system, slowing down the diahreah) - that will help a lot too. Ironically, taking anti-inflammatories is actually hard on the GI system, so if you take anything for pain, look for something like Tylenol instead

I know that what I'm telling you doesn't fit into your atkins way of eating, but I really think you need to focus on getting better for you and your family.

Everything you've described I have gone through many, many times. I still get the occasional flare up, but I am much, much better. I've had to learn what I can/cannot eat
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-12, 00:39

Thanks, still waiting for u/s but did X-ray the other day. Results can take up to ten days.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 14:28

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 212/181/150 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Here is something you might consider researching, the GAPS Diet. Here are some links: http://adietitiangonepaleo.wordpress.com/tag/gaps-diet/
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/...-wednesday.html
Jimmy Moore also has a podcast with her (the dr who started the GAPS diet). http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...ut-health/13634

Google has lots of info. Best of luck, and hope you, Lee (Dr. Campbell-McBride is in UK) and others feel better sooner rather than later.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-12, 16:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts
Here is something you might consider researching, the GAPS Diet. Here are some links: http://adietitiangonepaleo.wordpress.com/tag/gaps-diet/
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2009/...-wednesday.html
Jimmy Moore also has a podcast with her (the dr who started the GAPS diet). http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...ut-health/13634

Google has lots of info. Best of luck, and hope you, Lee (Dr. Campbell-McBride is in UK) and others feel better sooner rather than later.

Thanks , I appreciate it. Though I think it's best to keep the thread focused on Candice.

Lee
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-12, 06:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Today, Mark Sisson's take on CRP, basically what most of us wrote...it can mean anything or nothing. How are you doing?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/squa...one/#more-33965. (after the long squat answer)
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 14:25

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Yes, you always need to use the range provided by the lab that did the testing. I realize your post is older, did you ever find out the problem?
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 02:23
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

You have no gall bladder and increasing abdominal distention. Shouldn't you ask to get a GI referral?
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 02:27
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just noticed this was your last post. I hope that you are OK.