Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 21:09

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Do you have profound fatigue too?

I second checking the hormones. Look at thyroid and adrenals.

Those are simple blood labs that your primary doc can do so you can rule it out/in very quickly while scheduling all the other tests.

F
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 21:25

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

So sorry to hear you don't have a definitive answer but it's good they are taking it seriously. Take the Atkins comments with a grain of salt. A friend's husband just got treated for a 90% blockage on top of three stents in his heart and his cardiologist put him on low carb straight away. You seem more calm in this past post - good to see you less stressed.
  #108   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-11, 23:03
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Candice,

While I'm not all that well-versed in these sorts of things, I wanted to pop in here and let you know I'm thinking of you - and more importantly, I also wanted to tell you that my Mom was once told that she might have had a heart attack based on her EKG as well, but that once she had the ultrasound test, it turned out that she had *not* had a heart attack at all. I think the ultrasound test is called an echocardiogram.

In any case, the gist (from what I gather, based on my very limited knowledge) is that EKG's can show an abnormality or a 'heart event' but this doesn't necessarily mean an actual heart attack.

Even with the yucky stress test - I'm still thinking it's not necessarily a heart attack - and that more tests need doing. The 24hr. monitor will give some clues, and later on - when you get that heart ultrasound, you'll have a better idea of what's going on.

My Mom was ...hmm... 58 when she was told by her GP that she'd maybe had a heart attack, and after further testing, this turned out not to be the case.

I think there are a lot of things that might cause a weird EKG - and I think it's too soon to be jumping to conclusions.

Like I said, I'm not well-versed in these sorts of things, but I just wanted to say something anyway - because my Mom also went through something like this - an abnormal EKG, a bit of a freakout, further testing - she was very stressed and upset, thanks to the doctor who said "heart attack" - thereby leading to increased symptoms and so on. What a roller-coaster.

In hindsight - I don't think they should say 'heart attack' until they know for certain. I'd say that 80% of my Mom's symptoms amped right up after she was told there was something wrong with her heart.

I mean, what do you expect? Tell someone they've had a heart attack and it's pretty darned scary (no, make that horrifically frightening). Queue up the hyperventilating, the panicked shortness of breath. This leads to nausea, which coincides with "heart attack symptoms" - when you go reading and looking up stuff about heart attacks, you see that shortness of breath and nausea are symptoms of a heart attack.

But the thing is - if someone told me I'd had a heart attack, you can bet that I'd be short of breath and nauseous too. Just from flat-out fear.

I know this sounds weird, but my Mom's heart attack symptoms and heart problem symptoms got really bad *after* her GP said that she'd maybe had a heart attack based on her EKG.

And I think this is a totally normal reaction. I mean - you can't just tell someone, "Oh, you've had a heart attack" and expect them to go on their merry way.

I mean - if someone said "heart attack" to me, and I had to wait a week, stressing and worrying about it, and then had to do the stress test thing, I'm quite certain that I'd be all out of it too - having not slept, having worried myself sick about it all. I can totally see myself feeling ill, fatigued and out of breath.

This is an extremely frightening thing. And what happens is that there is panic, some anxiety, some stress, some major fear - and those feelings of fear are so strong that you get actual physical symptoms as a result, thereby resulting in a kind of catch-22 situation - you're so stressed and worried about it all that you experience significant physical symptoms. This all serves to amp up the stress even more. Causes more physical symptoms because the stress is that bad. To spend a week like that is horrible.

Can I just say that I'm sorry that you're undergoing this level of fear and stress? And that there's a very good chance that it's not as bad as it seems? That it'll turn out to be some other thing entirely?

And that if I had to go through that level of stress and worry, I'd feel totally ill too?

You can't spend a week like that, feeling like you're not even safe in your own body - with that level of fear and then expect to sail on through a stress test.

You are safe. Even though it doesn't seem like it right now - you are safe. They just have to do a bunch of tests and figure out what exactly's going on. Just remember that they wouldn't have sent you home from the ER if there was any danger.

Hang in there, and I really hope you get some clear answers *fast.*
  #109   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-11, 04:12

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default get proactive about your health issues - NOW!!!

Hi Candice,

I read your last post about your doctor's visit. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't make you feel any better about things... Which is why I have written the title above. If you want to feel less helpless when faced with these doctors and their tests, you need to get yourself glued to the internet (or arm yourself with a couple of good books) and look into your symptoms yourself.

Believe me, you will feel a lot better if you can talk to the doctor on a more equal footing, rather than feeling like you're surrendering yourself and just end up being given a good telling off about your eating habits.

I read over a few of your recent posts recently, looked up hypothyroid symptoms and one of the things I found was this:

Quote:
At first, you may barely notice the symptoms of hypothyroidism, such as fatigue and sluggishness, or you may simply attribute them to getting older. But as your metabolism continues to slow, you may develop more obvious signs and symptoms. Hypothyroidism signs and symptom may include:

Fatigue
Sluggishness
Increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Pale, dry skin
A puffy face
Hoarse voice
An elevated blood cholesterol level
Unexplained weight gain
Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
Muscle weakness
Heavier than normal menstrual periods
Brittle fingernails and hair
Depression

I found another one which mentioned a low heart rate, too:

Quote:
Hypothyroidism causes a general slowing down of your body's functions. Some of the symptoms include:

feeling tired and sleeping
a lot feeling the cold easily
dry and/or pale skin
coarse, thinning hair and brittle nails
sore muscles, slow movements and weakness
a hoarse or croaky voice
a change in facial expression
depression
problems with memory and concentration
weight gain
constipation
fertility problems and increased risk of miscarriage
heavy, irregular or prolonged menstrual periods
a slow heart rate

This was where I found them:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...aql=&oq=hypothy

Hypothyroidism is treatable, but from what I have read here, or on other forums, is that it is very very helpful if the patient is very well-informed about her condition. Have you asked the doctor to check your blood work for anaemia, too? I know all these questions must be overwhelming you, but it would make you feel better if you knew more about what the doctors were doing and looking for.

Being able to "talk back" to the doctor when he claims this, that or the other, is sooooo empowering!!! Once the doctor was all set to prescribe me iron tablets because I was telling him how I was low in energy and I was able to say, "Well, that doesn't really make sense because if I had low iron then I would have small red blood cells, rather than large ones, which is what I have, so, sorry, no, I don't want any iron tablets!" I then went off and got some B12 supplements, and hey presto, a lot of my symptoms started to go away!!!

The internet is an amazing tool for laypeople to arm themselves with knowledge and thus not be at the mercy of the "Gods in white coats" who tell us that "your blood work is fne", when in fact it isn't. Get your blood work from the doctor and analyze it yourself - or ask for help here or on a thyroid forum - and you'll start to feel better just because you are being pro-active and doing something yourself!!!

Will your doc also be doing the standard thyroid tests? Because that is what your symptoms look like, plus probably fatigued adrenals, too. Apparently, your adrenals "pick up the slack" somewhat with hypothyroidism, and then you can end up with both adrenal problems and thyroid issues. BUT, fear not, all of these things are treatable!!! And there are lots and lots of things you can do without your doctor's help to improve your health, such as lifestyle changes and taking supplements or eating particular foods, which will help, too.

All the best,

amanda
  #110   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-11, 12:01

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:

Candiflip, on the chance it is hypothyroidism or suspected let me know, there is a doctor in Surrey who is good with thyroid and adrenals. if you want the name PM me.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 09:04
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Gee, Candice, I just now saw this thread. I'm so sorry you're having to deal with all this worry and stress. And still not knowing any concrete answers sure doesn't help. I sure hope your docs can get to the bottom of all this. It's the not knowing that makes it so hard on you.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile1
Candiflip, on the chance it is hypothyroidism or suspected let me know, there is a doctor in Surrey who is good with thyroid and adrenals. if you want the name PM me.

If you can , can you PM me on FB the name?
I don't think it is this, but I'd love to talk to a dr to maybe get more tests or what not to see just in case.

http://www.facebook.com/CandiceWong80
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi Candice,

I read your last post about your doctor's visit. I'm sorry to hear that it didn't make you feel any better about things... Which is why I have written the title above. If you want to feel less helpless when faced with these doctors and their tests, you need to get yourself glued to the internet (or arm yourself with a couple of good books) and look into your symptoms yourself.

Believe me, you will feel a lot better if you can talk to the doctor on a more equal footing, rather than feeling like you're surrendering yourself and just end up being given a good telling off about your eating habits.

I read over a few of your recent posts recently, looked up hypothyroid symptoms and one of the things I found was this:

I found another one which mentioned a low heart rate, too:

This was where I found them:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...aql=&oq=hypothy

Hypothyroidism is treatable, but from what I have read here, or on other forums, is that it is very very helpful if the patient is very well-informed about her condition. Have you asked the doctor to check your blood work for anaemia, too? I know all these questions must be overwhelming you, but it would make you feel better if you knew more about what the doctors were doing and looking for.

Being able to "talk back" to the doctor when he claims this, that or the other, is sooooo empowering!!! Once the doctor was all set to prescribe me iron tablets because I was telling him how I was low in energy and I was able to say, "Well, that doesn't really make sense because if I had low iron then I would have small red blood cells, rather than large ones, which is what I have, so, sorry, no, I don't want any iron tablets!" I then went off and got some B12 supplements, and hey presto, a lot of my symptoms started to go away!!!

The internet is an amazing tool for laypeople to arm themselves with knowledge and thus not be at the mercy of the "Gods in white coats" who tell us that "your blood work is fne", when in fact it isn't. Get your blood work from the doctor and analyze it yourself - or ask for help here or on a thyroid forum - and you'll start to feel better just because you are being pro-active and doing something yourself!!!

Will your doc also be doing the standard thyroid tests? Because that is what your symptoms look like, plus probably fatigued adrenals, too. Apparently, your adrenals "pick up the slack" somewhat with hypothyroidism, and then you can end up with both adrenal problems and thyroid issues. BUT, fear not, all of these things are treatable!!! And there are lots and lots of things you can do without your doctor's help to improve your health, such as lifestyle changes and taking supplements or eating particular foods, which will help, too.

All the best,

amanda

Quote:
Will your doc also be doing the standard thyroid tests?

What is the standard test?

I will ask for it.

On a good note. I have only had 2 days where I felt MILD symptoms..
So I just don't know or think this is thyroid.. but will look into more tests if I need to.
I only have one day were I got some chest tightening.. and then one day where I was a little dizzy, milk chest tightening(a little tightening up my neck/shoulders) But other then that the pains/discomfort has gone away.
On another good note.. no exercise in almost a month.. and I had some light spotting for 2 days.. not much at all.. but at least something! since starting exercise months ago I did not have a period.. so I'm starting to see a connection with all issues I'm having and exercise(the period and the whole chest pain/dizzy ect started up withe exercise..).. humm. I will bring that up with dr.
  #114   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 11:39

Just got back from cardiologist.. she said I have Supraventricular Arrhythmia .. (I think this is it because she described is as they saw in my 24 hour monitor that top chamber of heart was beating way faster or something like that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprav...lar_tachycardia ?? )

"Supraventricular Arrhythmia

A very common long term arrhythmia is atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation is very abnormal. A normal heart beats between 60 and 100 times a minute. However, in atrial fibrillation, the atria (upper lobes of the heart) beat 400 to 600 times per minute. In response to this, the ventricles usually beat irregularly at a rate of 170 to 200 times per minute. So in Atrial Fibrillation, the upper part of the heart may beat up to 8 times as much as a normal heart. Unfortunately, atrial fibrillation is seen in many types of heart disease; once established, it usually lasts a lifetime. "

If you have more info I'd love see, thanks!!

She said it is electrical and needs to try and treat with medication.. she is putting me on beta blockers for 6 weeks(2 wks 1/2 dose, 4 wks full dose) .. I come back to office and retake all the tests to see if thing are better. Dr says NO exercise :'( .. NO coffee :'( (decaf okay though so I guess I'll be okay with that).. Dr said being low carb is fine, she went over blood work again for dh.. EVERYTHING GREAT!!!.. but said she just wants me to lower my fat a little(which I have been doing anyhow) she said keeping carbs low is FINE! Glad to finally have diagnose and now to just to get better. Thanks all again for all your support
  #115   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: finding my own way
Stats: 240/169/125 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi Candice, I also have ventricular tachycardia, mine specifically is RVOT. After they got mine controlled with medication I was allowed to exercise as I had been before. My current cardiologist is also fine with low carb and interestingly he also cautioned against too much fat although his angle was specifically weight loss as I've got weight to lose.
I was tried on several different medications and some of them made me tired, they lower your heart rate, so if this happens with you be sure to speak up as there are others that can be tried.
Just want to add that although the beta blockers (I was tried on several) worked I am currently on a calcium channel blocker and this works without the tiredness.

Last edited by little s : Wed, Mar-23-11 at 15:43.
  #116   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 16:11

Plan: atkins/i&NIPD
Stats: 157.0/139.6/119 Female 159cm
BF:32%+/31.5%/??
Progress: 46%

I don't know anything about the diagnosis, but it must be such a relief to have it, and a plan in place to tackle it, and a less scared and stressed DH, leading to a lot less stress for you.

(()).
  #117   ^
Old Wed, Mar-23-11, 22:47

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

Wonderful that you're relieved and have some answers! Excuse my bluntness, but I hope DH shuts up now about the WOE. Keep us posted. So did you have a past heart attack, or was that a red herring? *nosy questions, sorry*
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 08:05
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

So glad they've been able to diagnose the problem, Candice. That's got to be a great relief, just being able to know what it is. It's the worry attendant with not knowing that's scarier than knowing an actual diagnosis. Hopefully this condition is fully manageable with your cardiologist's help.
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 09:40

Plan: hcg
Stats: 192/142/138 Female 67 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
What is the standard test?

I will ask for it.

TSH
Free T4
Free T3
TPO Antibodies

but they won't do a Free T3 unless: 1) you show hypothyroid with the TSH and Free T4 or 2) you say you are willing to pay for it (it costs $35)

In your area you may want to check out
NavI Badesha, Naturopathic Doctor, www.newtonnaturopathic.com

he's very good with thryoid and adrenals even though his site focuses on the fact that he is good with sport's medicine

I'm glad they were able to figure out what's going on
  #120   ^
Old Mon, Mar-28-11, 10:15

Stats: 25/25/25 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
Just got back from cardiologist.. she said I have Supraventricular Arrhythmia .. (I think this is it because she described is as they saw in my 24 hour monitor that top chamber of heart was beating way faster or something like that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suprav...lar_tachycardia ?? )

"Supraventricular Arrhythmia

A very common long term arrhythmia is atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation is very abnormal. A normal heart beats between 60 and 100 times a minute. However, in atrial fibrillation, the atria (upper lobes of the heart) beat 400 to 600 times per minute. In response to this, the ventricles usually beat irregularly at a rate of 170 to 200 times per minute. So in Atrial Fibrillation, the upper part of the heart may beat up to 8 times as much as a normal heart. Unfortunately, atrial fibrillation is seen in many types of heart disease; once established, it usually lasts a lifetime. "

If you have more info I'd love see, thanks!!

She said it is electrical and needs to try and treat with medication.. she is putting me on beta blockers for 6 weeks(2 wks 1/2 dose, 4 wks full dose) .. I come back to office and retake all the tests to see if thing are better. Dr says NO exercise :'( .. NO coffee :'( (decaf okay though so I guess I'll be okay with that).. Dr said being low carb is fine, she went over blood work again for dh.. EVERYTHING GREAT!!!.. but said she just wants me to lower my fat a little(which I have been doing anyhow) she said keeping carbs low is FINE! Glad to finally have diagnose and now to just to get better. Thanks all again for all your support

This sounds like what my mom had. I recall her telling me that her doctor said there was nothing she could have done to have prevented it. He told her it was something she was born with.