Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 08:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have no interest in the guidelines any more. They're politics with little to no science sprinkled in. I appreciate Nina Tiecholz and others who keep trying to move the conversation but I can't participate in it any more even if my participation was never more than thinking about it and getting frustrated or angry. I'm with Adlel Hite. It's time to just get rid of them.

Here' her blog:

http://eathropology.com

And a great Stephen Colbert video she posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66G__mozVzE

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Fri, Jan-08-16 at 09:20.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 12:14

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

So this is really funny--the USA today article is focused on the reducing sugar aspect of the guidelines, which I have to admit is definitely a step in the right direction. But the sugar lobby is not happy!

Quote:
The Sugar Association, an industry group, criticized the new advice on added sugars.

"We maintain these 'added sugars' recommendations will not withstand the scrutiny of a quality, impartial evaluation of the full body of scientific evidence," the group said in a statement. "As with past examples of dietary guidance not based on strong scientific evidence, such as eggs, the 'added sugars' guidance will eventually be reversed. The lack of scientific rigor in this process has and will continue to result in consumer apathy, distrust and confusion."

In what universe is sugar equivalent to eggs! They are right about the science, but for all the wrong reasons.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lines/77151060/
  #78   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 13:56
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

On ABC World News last night I saw the story covering the release of the new guidelines. It was a quick story - hitting the 3 or 4 biggest changes. They pointed out the apparent inconsistencies with the revised salt and dietary cholesterol guidelines - removing the previous limits, but then saying to eat less of it. THEN they got to the red meat... The story went pretty much like this: Limited amounts of lean meat - including red meat - are still in the recommended guidelines due to lobbying from the meat industry. They then brought on expert commentary -- a representative from Center for Science in the Public Interest -- who said that Obama was unable to have the recommendation for red meat removed from the guidelines in spite of scientific evidence that red and processed meats cause cancer. The spokesman laid the blame on congress and the meat producer's lobbies.

My jaw dropped to the floor. Are you kidding me. THAT is how ABC World News covered this story? So the vegetarian lobby is disappointed that the meat lobby won this battle and ABC put them forward as the "experts" for the world on the subject of nutrition. One step forward, two steps back. Yes - I think our government needs to get out of the nutrition advice business before they kill and bankrupt us all. It would be nice to get the bias out of the media, too.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Jan-08-16 at 16:08.
  #79   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 15:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

Husband and I had a discussion of the "red meat is bad for you" issue the other night.

I explained that it's just another example of lazy research, because the study that claimed to show that left too many questions unanswered. What kind of red meat? Red meat from grass fed cows, or from feedlot cows fed with GMO corn? What was eaten with the red meat? Lots of grains? Lots of sugar? Could it be that feedlot red meat is dangerous because eating corn, which is not a natural food source for cattle, changes the quality of the muscle in some unexamined way?

I was rattling off all these, and more, and I think he finally understood why I look with such a jaundiced eye on the popular press's reporting of "progress" in research studies.
  #80   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 16:12

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I don't really think there's much evidence versus grain-fed beef, let alone grass-fed.
  #81   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 17:14

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Wasn't the red meat causes cancer study a meta-analysis of previous data, mostly from studies that did not distinguish between fresh red meat and processed meats?
  #82   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 23:56

I think it was, Deirdra. Yet another reason to distrust it.

But then I'd have to explain meta-analysis to him.

He's a financial analyst, and numbers are more comfortable for him than nutritional data.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 04:25

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I don't really think there's much evidence versus grain-fed beef, let alone grass-fed.

Just from my own experience, Teaser, grass fed is tougher than grain fed. Grass fed does not have the fat content which makes the grain-fed beef so tender. I was told by the farmer who raises grass fed that the beef needs to be cooked longer and with less heat. It is best ground, long slow baked or stewed, not pan fried or broiled. I bought grass fed but will not do so again.
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 06:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Wasn't the red meat causes cancer study a meta-analysis of previous data, mostly from studies that did not distinguish between fresh red meat and processed meats?

I think so. In addition, show me a processed meat NOT eaten with bread?

I also discount it because where are we supposed to get our protein? We evolved large brains on meat. Now it will kill us?
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 11:27

Benay, I love grass fed steaks. The chewiness is lovely to me, and the flavor is outstanding.

But if the chewiness is an issue, Adolf's Meat Tenderizer works well, and it's all natural: made from papain, an enzyme in papaya that breaks down the connections in proteins. It does have salt and sugar, but you use about a teaspoon for an entire steak.

Different strokes, and all that.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 12:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Just from my own experience, Teaser, grass fed is tougher than grain fed. Grass fed does not have the fat content which makes the grain-fed beef so tender. I was told by the farmer who raises grass fed that the beef needs to be cooked longer and with less heat. It is best ground, long slow baked or stewed, not pan fried or broiled. I bought grass fed but will not do so again.
Benay, grass-fed is kind of an acquired taste if you've been raised on grain fed. But once you switch over, you will not want to go back! Reminds me of how I was raised on margarine (thought butter tasted funny) and now the thought of eating margarine makes me gag. An easy route is to go with grass-fed hamburger, then move onto meat sliced thin for tacos or whatever, such as a flank steak. Then a good quality steak such as a flat-iron...Pastured chicken is an easy switch--it tastes sooo much better. All those meats have much better fat quality, but they are more expensive, unfortunately.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 09:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Zoe Harcombe's take on the guidelines:

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2016/01/...americans-2015/
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Jan-12-16, 13:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

As usual, Zoe hits it right between the eyes. What a joke this 5-year exercise in futility has become. Unfortunately, there are many who take this seriously, regardless of how vaguely these guidelines are written. It's almost become similar to a political debate where you need the second wave of "experts" to interpret what the candidates (guidelines) really meant . . .
  #89   ^
Old Wed, Jan-13-16, 07:46

Plan: IF, LCHF
Stats: 175/110/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

Zoe, if you are listening, YOU ROCK!
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-16, 14:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Jeff Volek petition is alive and well. https://www.change.org/p/demand-tha...ines/u/14993598

Just sent this article from the Washington Post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-arent-so-sure/

Quote:
Why mainstream researchers think the U.S. Dietary Guidelines lack scientific rigor

By Peter Whoriskey January 13

Eat this. Don’t eat that. Five cups of coffee a day is fine. Like most retail nutrition advice, the new issue of Dietary Guidelines for Americans is presented as if there were scientific certainty about what we ought to eat.

Here is the way the Dietary Guidelines, which federal government published last week, touts its credentials: “A growing body of research has examined the relationship between overall eating patterns, health, and risk of chronic disease, and findings on these relationships are sufficiently well established to support dietary guidance.”

Yet what many experts in nutrition research will admit is that scientific certainty on these topics is often elusive, even on the health effects of some very common foods.

Now a new paper gives some insight into the unsettled state of the science. And although this may sound like an attack on the nutrition establishment by some marginal players, it is not. It comes from the mainstream: The paper appears in the journal Circulation, published by the American Heart Association. The author is Dariush Mozaffarian, the dean of the nutrition school at Tufts University. It was funded by the National Institutes of Health.

The paper lists key ideas in nutrition concerning the links between diet and heart disease, and for each idea, describes the level of scientific consensus that underlies it. There are four levels of scientific consensus, ranging from the highest -- “broad concordance and less controversy” -- to those suggesting turmoil -- “substantial controversy and/or uncertainty” and “insufficient evidence for meaningful conclusions.”

Take, for example, the idea, included in the new Dietary Guidelines, that Americans ought to limit their intake of saturated fats to 10 percent of all calories. Saturated fats are those characteristic of animals products. Although the authors of the Dietary Guidelines argue that this is based on established science, Mozaffarian describes the the alleged harms of saturated fats as uncertain. He lists the science on that topic as having “substantial controversy and/or uncertainty.”

continues with charts...