Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 20:27

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Fat Wife, Skinny Husband & Lo Carbing

My husband just found out he has high cholesterol and triglycerides. He is a slender and muscled 130 pounds on a "fat"
day:-) He has started lo carbing with he to get his numbers down
because as he admitted to me he is a carb addict! I had no idea he ate candy all day at work, he confessed. He also ate lots of bread, ice cream every night etc.
Well now he is low carbing with me for almost a week and I worry he is getting enough calories! I am trying to think of things he can eat to keep his weight up but his carbs down.
Should he just eat more of everything I eat??
Any insites appreciated.

PS I am now at a 40 pound weight lose!:-) I own it to walking and low carbing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-11-03, 21:59

Plan: LC (Began 0/0/00)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 0 ft 0in
BF:--/--/--
Progress: 5%
Default CONGRATS ON THE 40 POUND LOSS !!!

Great !!!
Congrats on the 40 pound loss.

I wouldn't worry about your hubby not eating enough.
If he's full and satisfied, that's all that matters.

I haven't been at this very long, but I can relate to liking to snack.
If you hubby is looking for some snack foods, you might try him on some these things that my kids like that are lo-carb...

Slim Jim Brand "mild" Beef Sticks
Tom's Brand Pork Skins (Regular or Barbeque)
Almonds (Blue Diamond Brand)
Peanuts
Kraft Cheese cubes - mild cheddar
Apples
Peanut butter
Deviled eggs

That should get him started.

I also have high cholestrol and my doctor told me recently that it's the CARBS, not the red meat and fat like we had been told a few years ago.

Oprah also had a show on this and there were many skinny people who were having heart attacks and high cholestrol....
and her point was that it's about your genes and carbs.

I'm not "glad" that skinny people have these diseases, I'm just glad that the world is finally not looking all fat people as "diseased" and all skinny people as "healty."

Hope this helps.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 08:10

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 360/313.6/150 Female 66.5"
BF:yes, of course
Progress: 22%

How about letting him follow the lifetime maintenance phase of Atkins? Since he's already at goal weight there's no reason he shouldn't start there.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 09:53
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I have the same situation -- thin husband with high cholesterol and triglycerides and high blood pressure. Unfortunately, I have not been able to persuade my husband to try low carbing, although he has cut a lot of the sugary junk out of his diet.

Have you considered looking at some of the other lowcarb plans for your husband. Schwarzbein is very interesting for people who need to get healthier but don't necessarily need to lose a lot of weight. You also may want to look at the new Atkins for Life book. I haven't read it yet, but I understand it is directed at people who don't necessarily want to lose weight, but who have other health problems that are diet related.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 14:19

BF:
Default Good Info!

I'll pass it along to my husband and I guess your right, if he is full he is ok.

I know that Doctors can be so biased against fat people! I went to my diabetic nutritionist today and there where TWO skinny and older people ahead of me (type 2??).
My mother-in-law is in the "skinny and petite" club. I'm sure its blowing her mind that her thin son has bad cholesterol!

Hey have you ever had anyone watch out eat? At Easter my mother-in-law watched every peice of chicken I put in my mouth with a scowl on her face and then encouraged her thin son and daughter to "eat eat" and they were eating potatos, rolls, sweet coleslaw and cake!
WHO WAS EATING THE WORST!!!!???!!!
Wish I could have told her that..............afte that don't feel much like visiting her anymore.
How did I get off on that???!
Oh yah, thin people with bad cholesterol.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 16:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 237/173.5/135
BF:
Progress: 62%

sad as it is i wish my skinny husband (6', 150 lbs) had a reason to stop eating as junky as he does....

nothing more annoyng that watching him scarf down hundreds and hundreds of carbs a day and not gaining any weight or having any apparaent health probs...

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY!!
and he steals my pork rinds and cheese strings when he can eat whatever hge wants!!
men!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 20:16

BF:
Default I comiserate!!

Hey I totally understand! Its tough watching my kids even eat tons of carbs all the time and they are string beans! I was NEVER a string bean in my life!
My husband is the same weight as when he was in collage.
His sister is exactly the same, she can scarf down pancakes etc
and ti doesn't even bother her one teeny bit. Tall thin and musculed both of them! Its not natural I tell you;-)

Tell hubby to quite nibbling your snacks or just do what I did,
buy extra of everything because I found my kids ended up eating more pork rinds than I do!
Strange how different people react to different foods.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 09:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 340/340/180 Female 5' 10"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 0%
Default HI!

I'm in the same situation as you! I've been overweight all my life and married a slim man. Although he's gotten a little belly on him over the winter it doesn't take long before it's gone in the spring. I try not to resent slim people (especially my stepkids) for being able to eat all those carbs. I tell myself it's more like an allergy and that I know what will happen if I eat those things. Makes it easier to deal with. Hubby likes my cooking and has even tries the pizza quiche. He didn't rave about it but was happy that I was happy with it. I'm glad you're here and hope we can be of assistance to you!

Nicole