Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#976   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 12:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Ha! That picture is the first progression in the squat series of body weight exercises. I suppose u could try meditation in it too .

I'm not sure if it's diet related but I'm an early riser too. Unassisted on the weekends I'm up as the birds are chirping and can be on the water as the sun rises. It would be nice to share this time with others but my brothers and most friends enjoy sleeping in on weekends. I like greeting the new day in silence with the first rays of sunshine warming me. Too bad we're not neighbors Ken
Sponsored Links
  #977   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 13:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Continuing on my keto basics approach, and it feels like an old friend. Plan to work in a 3-4 day IF in the next week, as my daily and 24 hour shorter IFs are good, but the value of working in some longer IFs is helpful to achieve full autophagy and realize the related cleansing.

Getting my exercise by cutting and clearing trees today and spreading mulch tomorrow. Should be a good weekend workout.

Good meditation session yesterday. Thud, here's a video on Wim Hof who has his own unique form of meditation and endurance exercises:

http://www.icemanwimhof.com/vice-documentary#vice-video
His home page:
http://www.icemanwimhof.com/innerfire

People are capable of amazing things when their intent is pure and focused. Pretty incredible, and it reminds me of many on this forum who have the intent to pursue healthy eating as a way of life. It's not easy to get started, but the benefits are real once on has successfully focused her or his intent on achieving the right things. All the best.
  #978   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 19:08
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%
Default Day 6 & 7 of 90

Goal parameters:

1) Track and log my food daily (with few exceptions)
2) Average less than 30 net carbs and keep calories within reason (< 2400)
3) Get some form of exercise in daily

Weight: 208. $7 in the jar. I'm claiming today a little early, but I'm finished doing my thing today and will be heading to bed soon. Carbs and calories were borderline high this weekend; however, considering the exercise and the chores that I did I am sure that I operated at an energy deficit. It was a good weekend to be outdoors. I walked plenty and spent hours scrubbing and cleaning the deck in preparation for a much needed coat of stain and sealant. Scrubbing the deck was serious work, plus I walked 48K steps total for Saturday and Sunday. So I'm happy with how this weekend turned out.

Starting tomorrow I plan on switching things up by going to a one meal eating window at dinnertime on weekdays. I already walk on my lunch hour. I want to get in the habit of working out before work. That way I can beat the heat of the summer and have more time in the evening for house and yard work. I've got lots of work around here that needs to get done.
  #979   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 09:41
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 8 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 208. $8 in the jar. Tracking my food accurately on MY PLAN. Eating is on target and staying active everyday. Here is my daily average data for the first week (which includes some IF days):

Total Carbs: 42 Fiber: 27 Net Carbs: 15
Calories: 1425
Protein: 89g
Total Fat: 104g
- Saturated: 44
- Mono: 30
- Poly: 13
Macros: Carbs: 11% Protein: 24% Fat: 65%
  #980   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 15:23

BF:

It's really neat looking at your entries in MyPLAN Ken. Thanks for doing that. Dhamma talks, meditation and CC exploration continue.
  #981   ^
Old Wed, May-24-17, 11:46
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 9 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 207. $9 in the jar. The new pattern is starting to become the norm. I feel like I'm getting back in the groove again. Doing 23:1 IFs on weekdays is becoming routine. Reducing the sweetness in my food is making it easier not to feel compelled to overcompensate once I start eating. Taking a walk right after dinner helps, too. For me, satiety takes a long time to kick in. I eat a lot of food in that one meal. It would be nice if I could cut back, eating just normal sized dinner in my eating window. I will be working on it. My aim is to lose weight on this challenge.
  #982   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:25
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 10 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 206. $10 in the jar. This challenge is off to a good start. I'm making progress and feeling good. The one meal a day IFs on weekdays are starting to feel routine. I'm really noticing the appetite suppressing effect of eating VLC. I've been satisfied with eating around 2000 calories a day all this week even though I'm still getting my normal workouts in. I'm beginning to think that my issues with maintenance all centered around the most obvious of problems... I was eating too many carbs. Eat fewer carbs and your body instinctively knows when enough is enough.
  #983   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 08:10
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 11 of 90

Goal parameters:

Weight: 206. $11 in the jar.

This keto reboot is working. I feel terrific. I'm back in the zone. It occurred to me that I have not been VLC for a long time. The high cholesterol thing happened two years ago. The diet tweaks that followed resulted in adding 20 (or so) net carbs per day back to my diet. I guess you could say that I became just "Low Carb" instead of "Very Low Carb/Keto". I still lost the rest of the weight and surpassed my goal. But it was work and required focus and diligence. Now that I'm back in the keto zone, I realize that there really is something magical about eating very low carb. It is less work to keep the eating within reason. I am satisfied with less food. It just takes a little more discipline watching the carb count. What kind of impact this will have on my cholesterol only time will tell. I may have a lipid panel taken in June to find out.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, May-26-17 at 09:26.
  #984   ^
Old Fri, May-26-17, 09:15

BF:

"It is less work to keep the eating within reason" You've found me out Ken! I almost always go for the softer, easier way. it's much less hassle for me to eat very low carbs during the week with one meal a day and then just low carb on the weekend - it seems to work without counting for me.

You sound pumped Ken, I'm happy that you're discovering new stuff all the time~!

I'm still on track with building dhamma talk habit (not as well with the daily sittings tho - and CC work. I was really analyzing the mechanics of my squatting yesterday. it's interesting to see how far down you can get and keep your heels nailed to the floor. I see that my Achilles tendons need to be stretched and worked more. A side benefit to loosing belly fat is to be able to collect ones self in a little ball, knees to chest. I still have more fat and skin to loose on my belly and maybe a little more on the top of my thighs to get into a tighter ball. This position is very helpful (being compact and able to have power straitening the body out for windsurfing and kiting water starts.

Windsurfing Waterstarting with Peter Hart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBoLdvnArzY

Kiteboarding Waterstart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nfy-5FZGJE
  #985   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 08:23

BF:

1) Daily meditation practicing a technique called the 6 "R's" - It sounds practical and interesting. For explanation go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egFZO2e799w

2) Read and begin working on "Big Six" progressive bodyweight strength exercises from "Convict Conditioning". Work the exercises in suggested order.

I have not been getting my daily sittings in but have been constantly exposing myself to dhamma talks. It does take both learning and practice tho, infact, I think practice is more important of the two so here I am getting ready to sit for a bit.

Squats - OOHHH, found very practical application this weekend, one that I hope will be beneficial to my paddling and eventually foiling. At this lighter weight that I'm at I'm re-exploring my two paddleboards and where the critical zones are on them.

So basically it's like this, find a spot on the board in back, feet shoulder width apart in surf stance on the center line when you will sink the board with weight on both feet evenly if you stop forward motion. You can even go back further than that but not for now.

so with full front foot pressure you can bring the board back under control (rails in the water) - the practice is to shift the hips fore and aft over the feet going from unstable nose out of the water (this is good for turning the board quicklly) to full front foot pressure that get's things back under control. Recovering control doesn't happen imdeiately but slowly. You just have to trust that full weight is what you need.

the take away is that full foot pressure is basically squating sidways on your front foot very deep and back foot rolls onto it's side. Then you do the same with your other side. Quite the thigh and balance work out.

On a short board it would look something like this...

#986   ^
Old Mon, May-29-17, 19:25
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 15 of 93

Goal parameters:

Weight: 207. $12 in the jar. 3 days of noncompliance.

Friday was on target with this challenge. The rest of the 3 day weekend was not. It was not a disaster. All food was on plan and for the most part I ate within reason. Having the family join me eating low carb has made things more complicated. They were tired of my standard fare and pushed for more interesting and complex LC recipes. We dine out once. We made Fathead Pizza. It also was a very busy weekend with lots of chores to do. I barely squeezed in my walking. I didn't take the time to track my food. I know I ate beyond keto level carbs on Saturday. Sunday and Monday were better. So that means that no dollars have been put in the jar the past 3 days Tomorrow I'll be back on track. Back to logging food and doing the one meal IFs. I've decided to extend the challenge for each day that I don't meet the parameters of this challenge. It is now a 93 day commitment.
  #987   ^
Old Tue, May-30-17, 04:30

BF:

"I've decided to extend the challenge for each day that I don't meet the parameters of this challenge. It is now a 93 day commitment." - Interesting take on it Ken, I think that's a good idea. Freeing yourself from the idea that "time" means anything but an arbitrarily agreed upon measure. I guess the sun going around the earth once <--- joke there is fairly easy to agree on but the stuff that happens from one sunrise to the next we have little control over. Doing somthing 90 times rather than 90 times in a row is more relaxing and you'll have time to examine what was different when a streak ends. If you do something 90 days in a row you'll never have that insight until the 90 days are over.

Perhaps they both have their benefits and detriments.

Have a good short week at work guys, if you still work that is

For what it's worth, I didn't listen to dhamma, sit or work on squats yesterday, I was too nervous and self-centerd thinking about a kiting session that turned into a windsurfing session. Expect Nothing, that was a lot of wasted time worrying about something that didn't happen. My insight from looking back on yesterday.
  #988   ^
Old Wed, May-31-17, 06:36
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 16 of 93

Goal parameters:

Weight: 208. $13 in the jar. 3 days of noncompliance

Yesterday was on target. I snapped right back into my weekday groove. I got in over 20K steps yesterday even though I actually took shorter walks. The activities of living life just added up to more steps than usual. I retained a little water from the extra carbs this past weekend. The planned fast today should take care of that.
  #989   ^
Old Thu, Jun-01-17, 10:01
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 17 of 93

Goal parameters:

Weight: 206. $14 in the jar. 3 days of noncompliance

I didn't manage to fast yesterday as planned. Making Fathead pizza for the kids last night kind of made me hungry. I decided to eat at dinner, but not the LC pizza. I have not plugged that recipe into MY PLAN yet - so it would have been too difficult to accurately track. Plus, it is good pizza. I had some this past weekend when I wasn't tracking my food. It would be easy to overeat Fathead pizza. So I ate a simple dinner that was easy to track. 20 net carbs - 1700 calories for the day. I didn't make it to the gym yesterday as planned either. Maybe I shouldn't make so many plans??? Step count was till good for the day, so yesterday was right on target with this challenge.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Jun-02-17 at 06:48.
  #990   ^
Old Fri, Jun-02-17, 06:57
Say NO to Diabetes!

Default Day 18 of 93

Goal parameters:

Weight: 207. $15 in the jar. 3 days of noncompliance

Another good day. I finished my daughter's breakfast in the parking lot before work, so it wasn't a true IF day. Eating for the day was at my max calorie limit, but only 20 net carbs. I also made it to the gym in the evening for some time on the elliptical.
Closed Thread