Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 09:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Dang, Debbie, the whole Web lit up with that "cauliflower crust" thing a while back. I wonder if the fact that it is frozen changes it?

I did see Cauliflower Tots and got excited until I realized they had considerable flour in them. Stupey food manufacturers!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 12:04

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm not the least bit surprised that the cauliflower crust was crumbly - only 1 egg with 2 POUNDS of frozen cauliflower?! Sure, there was also some cream cheese too, but even so, the egg is the only thing that will really hold the bits of cauli together, and that's just not enough egg to do the trick, especially with cream cheese. If you used mozarella instead of cream cheese, you might get better results.

I use a lot more egg than that when I make fried-cauli (like fried rice), and I still only get little chunks of the cauli-rice sticking together.

ETA: Oh wait, looked at the recipe again, and now I see it wasn't even cream cheese - it was goat cheese. Nothing wrong with goat cheese, but it's still not a hold-things-together type of cheese.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 12:13

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Also, as Janet mentioned, frozen riced cauliflower probably contains a lot more leftover stems than a whole raw cauliflower or bag of frozen florets would have, so it is less mushy. More mushy bits would make the pizza crust hold together better. When I make mashed fauxtatoes from raw or frozen chunks, and include all the stems, I steam it for 20-25 minutes to make sure it is super-mushable and yields a perfectly smooth-textured mash.

So you may just need to increase the cooking time. I use a steamer insert to avoid having to wring scalding hot vegs in a towel. With pre-riced I would need to put a layer of cheesecloth or something in there to keep the "rice" from falling through the holes.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jun-03-17 at 12:25.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jun-03-17, 12:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Dang, Debbie, the whole Web lit up with that "cauliflower crust" thing a while back. I wonder if the fact that it is frozen changes it?
Well the recipe specifically called for frozen cauliflower, and specifically said that it didn't even need to be cooked - but it would still be awesome.

So, since I had never made the recipe before, I decided to follow it very closely. I so rarely follow recipes exactly, but tend to make all sorts of mods to it from the get-go, . But this one I was fairly close - my only mod being that I put only 1.5 pounds of cauliflower into the crust instead of the two pounds called for. But never again.

However a couple good things came out of it.
1) I've always shied away from goat cheese as when I'd tried it in the past it had been too strong for my taste. But this cheese was quite mild and creamy and tasty, so I may try some again.
2) I took remains of the cauli crust and stir-fried it in butter with some additional mushrooms and some onion. While it made an awful pizza if was quite a nice tasty stir-fry.