Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 10:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/187/125.5 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

My goal weight is around about 125 and i was just wondering how people maintain that weight after losing quite a substantial amount of weight ~ for example daily exercise and eating habits etc. and whether its easier to lose or maintain (albeit at a lower weight) ?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 10:44
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm 5'10 and 138 lbs and lost 40 lbs over the course of 3 years. I'm also 52 and that makes is doubly hard not to gain weight when you are menopausal. I found two things that are essential:

1) Develop an eating plan that you like and fits your lifestyle. If you look at this as a "diet" you are going to do until you lose the weight, you won't succeed in the long run. Only by eating food that you enjoy and are happy with can you make this a way of life. That might mean taking the foods you like best and "de-carbing" them, eating low or zero carb bread products or whatever it takes to create a menu that you can live with.

2) Aerobic exercise is, for me, essential to maintaining weight and health as well. I try to do things that I enjoy and are fun. Again, if all you do is a DVD or go to the gym for short-term results, you're not likely to stick with it. Having some fun activity like tennis or swimming that you enjoy on a regular basis is the key to long-term exercise success.

In short, the key to success is to make your life enjoyable while maintaining healthy exercise and eating habits.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 15:04
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 126/123/115 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiToxicity
Hey,

This thread is for all those females that have succeeded in weighing below 125lbs . I'd like to ask how you got there and what kind of diet you followed (carb +calorie wise) as well as excercise rutine. I'm 5'2'' and weight about 130 lbs. I have a history of anorexia and i'm not willing to go through that again so I'd really appreciate some sound advice with regards to proper dieting . Thanks :-D.

Hey, I understand where you're coming from--I've just "recovered" from my ED of over two years.

I'm 5'6 and my weight is usually between 120-125, less when I restrict calories.

Fasting helps a lot, but if you have a history of anorexia you may not want to get into that again.

For workouts, I do yoga everyday and lift light weights twice a week. I also do cardio (circuit training and soccer) 2-3 times a week. Personally, the more strenuous of a workout I do, the more I eat afterward, so I've learned to tone down my workouts to the point where I can still improve my health from them, but not overdo them to the point where I come home and binge. Usually just doing half an hour is fine, but when I get up to 45-60 minutes, then the eating sets in.

And for diet--well, the less I eat the less I weigh, but I know for a lot of people that really slows their metabolism and doesn't work in the long run. I find that if I don't eat late at night it helps a lot. That's the time when I tend to eat the most food, so cutting that out helps me lose a few pounds in just a week or two. Eating past 8 or 9 at night also gives me insomnia. I know some people here do intermittent fasting, or IF, which I believe means that you only eat from around 12p.m.-6p.m., so that's something to try as well, and may not trigger your anorexic tendencies since it's within a set time period.

And for carbs/food choices...the diet that works best for ME is:

-No grains/flours (bread, pasta, rice, etc...though a couple slices of bread a week should be fine, if you really want it)

-No sugar/sweets (candy, cake, pie, cookies, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, etc. I use stevia if I want to sweeten something)

-No dairy except a bit of raw cheese and maybe cultured butter ("normal" dairy, as in pasteurized dairy, usually makes me mucus-y and is addicting for a lot of people)

-Minimal/no nuts (nuts and nut butter is so addicting for me!)

-No legumes (beans, peas, cashews, peanuts, etc.)

-Yes veggies (lettuce and carrots are my favorites, and about the only ones I eat)

-Yes fruits, depending (the only fruit I really like--and yes, they are technically fruit--is tomatoes and avocados. Berries are ok, but try to avoid high-sugar fruits, such as dates, bananas, mangoes, etc.)

-Yes raw cheese (Trader Joe's has a wide variety of raw cheeses for pretty cheap)

-Yes seafood and meat (I've been a vegetarian for a long time, so I can't really do meat yet, but seafood is fine. Just try to get your animal products from humane farms, or from fishers who catch humanely)

I hope this helps...I'd really recommend staying away from too much cheese and dairy, unless it's raw. Since I don't eat meat yet, when I first started low carb I ate lots of poor-quality dairy, and let's just say that going to the bathroom was NOT a pleasant experience! I used to eat just a piece of buttered toast for breakfast every morning, and for some reason that coincided with the times I lost the most weight, so I don't really know what to make of that. If you can keep the rest of your carbs during the day low, then I think that would be fine.

Good luck!!
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 15:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is a very old thread. The OP has not visited the forum since 2005.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-28-10, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 126/123/115 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
This is a very old thread. The OP has not visited the forum since 2005.

Oops! My bad. I guess I should start checking the dates
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-24-11, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: JUDDD/Low-Carb/IF
Stats: 160/140/120 Female 5'3"
BF:32%/22%/15%
Progress: 50%

Curly Q, I see that you're following Atkins. Your current stats are what I would like to achieve (You go girl!) I am just wondering what your meal plan looks like and roughly how many calories you intake. (I'm 5'3). Thanks.