Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-04, 05:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

if you figure a way to keep your toes warm let me know. I have never been able to keep my toes from freezing in cooler weather.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 16:34

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

Body-Armour makes some great cold weather apparel!

Their "Skull Cap" really keeps my head warm without getting sweatty and fits nicely under my cycling helmut. Their Cold Weather Gear keeps my body warm, whether I wear the Thin Base Layer, Long Sleeve Base Layer, or the Thick Base Layer; they all do a great job in different types of temperatures. They, too, keep me warm without getting sweatty.

Regarding the toes, I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi All-Weather shoe covers and they help a lot, too, especially when it's wet.

A good cycling rain jacket is helpful, too!

J.
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-04, 19:54

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by loCarbJ
Body-Armour makes some great cold weather apparel!

Hey J - do you mean "Under Armour?" If so, I agree - their stuff is excellent. (www.underarmour.com) I wear their "heat gear" (for hot conditions) as a base layer when it's cool but understand their "cold gear" makes for an even better base when temps really drop. The quality of their apparel is top notch and pricing - for it being technical clothing - is reasonable. I also wear their compression shorts for most other sports I do including running, tennis, and racquetball.

I'm going to do some experimentation this winter with clothing to stay warm while riding. I'll let everyone know what does and doesn't work for me. I also just invested in some rollers for when it's too cold and snowy/rainy to ride.

Now that should be an interesting thing to learn...
  #124   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-04, 10:50
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

rollers are good for spinning, make sure whatever is in front of the rollers won;t break if you crash. Have fun!
  #125   ^
Old Sun, Nov-07-04, 19:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Let us know how you make out with the rollers. I have a resistance trainer because I think I'd crash through my window riding the rollers. I know my brother had quite the learning curve while doing them, and I know I can't spin smoothly enough to do it just yet.

I am planning on riding outside as much as I can this winter and have been on several cold weather rides already (around 40 degrees so far). Just got new tires on the mountain bike so maybe we'll try a little riding in the snow too.

For the toes to stay warm, I wear the SockGuy Isowool socks and then neoprene booties over my shoes. If it's super-cold, I have a larger pair of cycling shoes I got free and I wear 2 pairs of the wool socks. You can also get neoprene-type material waterproof socks like my DH uses for skiing.
  #126   ^
Old Mon, Nov-15-04, 11:59

Muddy Buddy Update:

My friend and I did the San Jose Muddy Buddy a week ago. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be, but also, a lot more fun! Our event was held on Mount Hamilton, which is one of the bigger mountainous area's around here. The mountain bike climbing was tough. Next time I will use my full-suspension bike, rather then the hardtail that I used this time around. I also need to improve my trail running as my "buddy" finished his legs around a minute or two ahead of me. Still, we finished 9th in our division. Our division was combined-age of 70+. Our combined-age was 88!

The mud-pit really makes this a really fun event!

J.

P.S. Next up for me is the Shooting Star Sprint Adventure Race. Also held in San Jose; it includes a 4 mile trail run, a 7 mile mountain biking loop, a 2 mile kayaking paddle, another 7 mile mountain biking loop and finishes with a final 4 mile trail run. Wish me luck, it's in three weeks!
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Nov-16-04, 08:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenemt
Let us know how you make out with the rollers. I have a resistance trainer because I think I'd crash through my window riding the rollers. I know my brother had quite the learning curve while doing them, and I know I can't spin smoothly enough to do it just yet.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond - been busy with work lately. As for the rollers, they're a BLAST! I've never had so much fun riding inside - it really makes you concentrate and most definitely improves balance, spin and overall technique. As shown in the picture I posted of my rollers, they're a "parabolic" design with raised edges. This makes it nearly impossible to ride off the sides as you spin and boosts confidence. It only took me about 5 minutes to really get used to them the first time. You set them up in a doorway so you can catch yourself if you start to lean too far to one side. It's actually quite easy! Don't get me wrong, I still much prefer riding outside. But if you can't - rollers are great, fun, and easier-to-learn than you might think. Back on the road, I notice the rides I've done on the rollers really have improved my riding abilities.

Speaking of getting outside, I continue to experiment with cold weather gear. What's been working great for me thus far - in temps around 40F - is the following: on my upper body I wear a liner layer (Under Armour heat gear T-shirt) under a Pearl Izumi Kodiak jacket. For lower body, I wear my Pearl Microsensor bib shorts under a pair of their "flash" (reflective for greater visibility) micro fleece tights. It keeps me really warm - but no too much so which you don't want. Now for my toes - I'll have to look into the booties and wool socks.

loCarbJ - that's awesome on the Muddy Buddy! You certainly did better than I did on my first attempt. Do you have any pics? I'm looking forward to doing it again next year and I think I've convinced some friends to join me so we can enter several teams. As for the adventure race you've entered - GOOD LUCK! That sounds really, really tough but also like a lot of fun. Make sure you get some pictures!
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 16:11

Unfortunately, my photographer didn't come to the Muddy Buddy, and their photographer didn't get any pictures of me (that I could find).

How is everyone doing with their winter riding?

I find that this is a great time of year for mountain biking. Riding the ridges is usually less windy and the hard climbing warms me up very quickly.

I have also really taken to "night riding". Going up the familiar trails at night turn the whole experience into something completely new. It's almost like exploring caves! I stream through a tunnel of light, surrounded by stark darkness. I also have encountered a lot of wildlife, from geckos and wild turkeys to lots and lots of deer.

Anyone else out there going night riding?

J.

Last edited by loCarbJ : Fri, Nov-19-04 at 16:25.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Nov-19-04, 17:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I just finished a 32 mile road ride. The only memorable animal I saw was an eagle swooping low. The temperature was in the forties, but mostly sunny, so I ened up taking off the helmet cover, ear warmers and jacket. The forecast for the weekend is cold and snowy, so I will be off the bike for a few days.
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 13:59

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I've kept up with the riding into the low 40's here... Though I'm skipping today since I only have an hour of daylight left, and no light on my bike.

Wool socks really help. I'm using a cheap base layer I bought from *mart that is similar material to under Armour. On dry days I ware my Jersey above it then a fleece jacket on top. Works great as long as it's dry.
Need something else for my feet besides the the wool socks, the shoes are too well ventilated.

--nw
  #131   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: modified CDK
Stats: 182/174/168 Male 69 inches
BF:19%/17%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Riding on Rollers

It's been a while, but I used to train on rollers all the time. It's nice to have a little security close by when you are learning. A door frame or narrow hallway works pretty good. It gives you something to lean on a little when you start and stop.

Speed is important. Your spinning wheels create a gyroscope effect that keeps you upright and balanced. Make sure you start off in a pretty tall gear. Look straight ahead, and that is the direction you will go. It won't take long before you find that is very easy to ride with no hands.

Other tips.
Make sure your wheels are round and true. Tire inflation makes a big difference in how much resistance the rollers will give you. (and how much noise the tires make when they squirm) Because of the small contact patch between tire an roller, low pressures may lead to early tire failure. Mountain bike tires and rollers do not play well together.
Clean and lightly lube your chain to keep noise down. Excess lube will be thrown off, (I used to soak my chain in melted paraffin which seemed to lube well, and did not fling off) You WILL sweat a lot, so if your riding area is carpeted, you better find something to put between the rollers and the rug.

When you are not riding, slip the drive belt off the rollers. They will last much longer if not in constant tension. Buy extra belts.
  #132   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 14:24

BF:

Good suggestions all, RodeRash. I rode my rollers yesterday for about a half-hour - it's still so much fun...
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 10:46
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey y'all! Hope everyone is getting some winter time in the saddle. Personally I'm a cold weather wimp.... LOL!

Anyway.... don't know if anyone is interested in this but here is the link to Americas Most Beautiful Bike Ride in Lake Tahoe on June 5th. Registration is until May 13th. I'm hoping to be able to do the 72 mile ride by then.

Gypsy
  #134   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 16:13

BF:

I'm going to really try to do that ride, Gypsy! Looks like fun and I love the Tahoe area. I have to check scheduling and look into airfare (or mileage) and hotel, etc. But I'm going to say a very firm "probably" as of right now...
  #135   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 17:20

Stats: 313/311/220 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hello,
I finally found this place. I wrote, CarbsBeGon and he told me about this thread. My name is Mack and I love cycling.

I'm in Nebraska so the snow/ice/salt/sand/single digit & below zero weather has me home bound. I doubt I'll be able to ride until late Feb early March.

My main ride that I'm riding now is a Volae Club recumbent which I love. Faster than my DF road bike but it is slower on steep hills. But I'm hauling a lot of tonage up that hill also. Hopefully I'll rid that.

Well, nice to find all of you and looking forward to some talks.
Cheers,
Mack