Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 12:05

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Marty Kendall's Nutrient Optimizer

The one issue that has confounded me for a long time is whether or not I am getting sufficient micronutrients. Marty Kendall is developing something he calls a "Nutrient Optimizer". I just sent him 7 days worth of cronometer data which he will then analyze and send me a report. You can read about the Optimizer here:

https://nutrientoptimiser.com/

I'll update when I get the report. I'm pretty excited about this.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 13:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

This sounds really interesting, but I'm trying to figure out how it's an advancement over a lot of software out there that costs a lot less. Maybe I just skimmed the page too quickly, but at a glance, it looks like similar data that I can generate using FitdayPC which I purchased at least 12 years ago for $20. Still works. You can generate a dizzying array of different reports, even mood vs specific nutrient. I'd say the only thing different about their optimizer is the amino acid breakdown, but I can't see most LCers having to worry about it.

I've bookmarked the page, though, to see where it goes from here.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 15:15

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Definitely of interest here, Jean. I'll be curious about your experience with this.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-30-17, 18:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This sounds really interesting, but I'm trying to figure out how it's an advancement over a lot of software out there that costs a lot less. Maybe I just skimmed the page too quickly, but at a glance, it looks like similar data that I can generate using FitdayPC which I purchased at least 12 years ago for $20. Still works. You can generate a dizzying array of different reports, even mood vs specific nutrient. I'd say the only thing different about their optimizer is the amino acid breakdown, but I can't see most LCers having to worry about it.

I've bookmarked the page, though, to see where it goes from here.

Kristine - What I am buying is Marty Kendall's analysis of my data, what foods to eat to better the micronutrient content of my diet and what foods to perhaps limit. Marty has done a very detailed analysis of foods for different purposes. It may be that I will learn nothing new but since this is the one area where there isn't a whole lot of information out there on what constitutes an adequate or an optimal diet I thought I would give it a go. I enter the data into cronometer and Marty's software analyzes it. I figured I would try it out and see if it's helpful.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-31-17, 09:32

Plan: PEdiet/OptimizedNutrition
Stats: 188/150/140 Male 5.6
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for the info Jean. I'll be following your experience as well. Hope it is helpful.
FYI... I loaded up Cronometer and noticed that the Dynamic Macronutrient Targets can be configured for Ketogenic diets. Figured this may be helpful for those doing Keto.
Link to how to set it up...
https://cronometer.com/help/diary/#keto

Bill
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-18-17, 09:03

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I find this very interesting, Jean! I hope you will continue to update as you get your results.

I use Fitday, but the different I see here is this will tell you what you need to do to correct issues, not just your nutrient intake.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 10:59

BF:

I got my results from Marty and they look good. I have focused on micronutrients along with low carb for quite a while now and although cronometer said I was getting most everything I needed I wanted confirmation from another source and any possible tips to help me along the way. Vitamin D was low but I take a supplement and I know my level is good.The only other thing off balance was my zinc/copper ratio and my iron/copper ratio, with copper being somewhat too high. Marty says it's too many sunflower seeds. He also suggests that I eat a little less fat to decrease energy (calorie) consumption if I want to lose more weight. Otherwise I am doing really well as far as nutrients. I take a bunch of supplements too and I am considering whether to drop some of them. For me this analysis was just a confirmation of what I thought to be true although I knew nothing about the copper ratio thing so I will research that a bit. Still it was worth it. I like knowing with greater certainty that my approach is doing what I want it to do, keep carbs low while still prioritizing micronutrients. I've already cut back on the sunflower seeds. Nothing feels critical. I think I am in a good place when it comes to diet and health. You can read the report here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pszsipis...risman.pdf?dl=0

Jean
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-10-17, 16:52

Plan: PEdiet/OptimizedNutrition
Stats: 188/150/140 Male 5.6
BF:
Progress: 79%

Wow, what a wonderfully detailed report you received with excellent feedback! Your story is inspirational, and you are doing an amazing job with weight loss and micronutrient management.
Some of the key nutrient ratios specified in the report were new to me as well. Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing with us.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 19:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is extremely thorough and the detailed analysis is very impressive. Thanks for sharing, Jean. I'll have to consider this for my nutrient signature. Excellent information to use in optimizing real foods.