Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#601   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-17, 19:06

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I don't know how many of you have listened to the "Fasting Talk" podcast. Personally I never have, as I have a very strong an serious dislike of podcasts which I consider huge time wasters. If I want information I want to READ it. But I was surprised to find this from Dr. Fung on Facebook today:
Quote:
Just wanted to clarify issues regarding 'Fasting Talk', which has now been cancelled. To give you some background, this was Jimmy's idea, he developed it, his producer was behind it, and he sold the ads on it. Megan and I simply contributed our time and expertise for free. This was quite a strain since we're both incredibly busy (I'm booking new consults in 2020 now), but we volunteered our time because Jimmy is a friend and we believed in the cause. We have never been paid a single penny for our time.

However, some of our listeners and professional colleagues didn't like the tone of it (sometimes goofy) so we asked Jimmy, out of consideration for us, to tone it down. Here's Megan's exact words "We really appreciate all of the work you’ve poured in to this podcast, but we’d like things to change regarding to it’s tone moving forward." We made plans to discuss over the weekend, but instead we find that Jimmy walked away from the podcast.

I was upset to find that Jimmy and his fans have been all over social media blaming us for 'bullying' him. Considering that we were volunteering our time and expertise to help his fans regain their health, it was very upsetting to me. Megan and I tried to help people pouring our own time and hearts into it, and all we got was blame. Any financial success was collected by Jimmy. Did we ask him to change his tone? Yes. That's what you do in a partnership. Did we bully him or ask him to change who he was? Not at all. What you don't do, is go all over social media blaming the other party.
Sponsored Links
  #602   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-17, 20:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I've been fascinated by this train wreck since I saw Jimmy start posting about this weekend. I also didn't like the silly tone he injects into his podcasts. (I'm admittedly not a JM fan though I do listen to many of his podcasts for the information/discussion provided.)
I have found him increasingly childish recently, on various social media sites, bashing people who have offered constructive criticism.
I was glad to hear that the IDM platform will start it's own fasting podcast later this year. I loved hearing Megan and Dr. Fung and I really did learn A LOT about fasting from this podcast.
  #603   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 04:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Clueless in Charlotte here. By ignoring social media and being too busy to even check websites these past two days, this is new news to me. Truly sad no longer will be able to hear Megan Ramos anymore, but I agree Jimmy was being more of a jerk than usual. And his ads for useless ketone crap and supplements are more than irritating. Now they are not only beginning and end but twice during the podcasts,which only means I have to stop walking to fast forward through them, but the suspect products reflect on the the content of the podcast, as much as the moderator.
Jason himself has been a guest on many podcasts recently with much better interviewers, and Megan a few also. They do plan to update their media section on the IDM website during the upgrade, so you will be able to check there for good info.
  #604   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 04:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
They do plan to update their media section on the IDM website during the upgrade, so you will be able to check there for good info.

And the whole point of our eating plan is real food, not a lot of "products." Some supplements and special foods are part of my own plan, but sadly the heavy advertisers tend to be those who make products that are the least needed.
  #605   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 05:14

Plan: Bernstein, Fung, IF
Stats: 267/202/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I was sad to hear it collapsed. I found the practical discussions very useful. I think that as people start or try to figure out what to change up we benefit from the type of guidance and experience Megan was giving. The every day wisdom was missing from Dr Fung's books. And the real clients were fantastic to share their own experience. I do hope IDM brings back their own podcast but I wonder if it will not be too big of a project for them to pull off unless they can team up with another podcaster. They are just so busy in their clinic. Dr. Fung wrote he he is scheduling new patients out to 2020 now. Anyway ... I really appreciated the information to help with if.
  #606   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 05:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I can sort of feel for Jimmy not taking criticism well--social anxiety makes it hard for me to take when people say nice things about me let alone bad. He's taking a "this is who I am, and I shouldn't and won't change" tack. What? Do you tell fart jokes at Grandma's house? Depends on the Grandma... sometimes restraining yourself isn't being untrue to yourself, or selling out, it's being audience-appropriate. I doubt that there are many Jimmy fans who are listening for the goofy sound effects or for the short, only vaguely appropriate snippets of distracting music.

I think it's good they did this show anyways, especially if Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos do get their own podcast up and running as a result.
  #607   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 06:01

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

It is a shame that Jimmy Moore lets his ego get in the way of providing an important service. I only listened to this podcast once because I found his banter annoying. I tend to find most banter on podcasts annoying and much prefer either talks or well conducted interviews like Dr Perlmutter or Dr Eenfeldt conduct.
  #608   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 06:53
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I long for "the good old days" (probably imaginary) when it wasn't all about the money.

Personally, I came to this forum when JM closed his down, and I'm happy with my landing place. Look back at this thread just a couple of years ago, before Dr. Fung's book was published. We weren't distracted by hype and podcasts, just watched his badly produced videos. Eagerly. We learned from what he offered us freely, and those of us who paid attention and followed the protocol got healthy.

Sometimes simple is better.
  #609   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 11:18

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I agree simple is far better. I hadn't been able to listen to these podcasts; although, I intended to one day. Now that it's over, I'm finding that the LCHF and IF markets starting to ramp up likely had a lot to do with diverging objectives between IDM and JM. Sometimes we assume that things are done purely from an altruistic position, as our health situation across the world is in bad shape and information must be shared. I respect the direction IDM has taken, and they're not promoting related products, as there is no reason to have them. JM seems to have his signals crossed, as he's moved into a nice cottage industry here where he can control his weight, his health, and make a living at the same time. The best part of LCHF is that the advice is everywhere and it's free. I want to see it stay that way. JM is only the tip of the iceberg, however, as once the food industry starts marketing using the LCHF terminology, there will be a tsunami of product launches . . . .
  #610   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 11:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I only listened to this podcast once because I found his banter annoying. I tend to find most banter on podcasts annoying and much prefer either talks or well conducted interviews like Dr Perlmutter or Dr Eenfeldt conduct.
Same here; my time is important, which is why I prefer transcripts so that I can skim over the things that I already know or don't apply to me. I also suspect that Jimmy will never find professionals like Eric Westman and Jason Fung to partner with him again. Frankly I was surprised that Fung partnered with Jimmy after seeing KetoClarity, because Jimmy's chapters weren't very clear due to his stream of consciousness style peppered with random BOLDFACE, italics and !!!!'s, like a 12-yr old's diary or website.
  #611   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 12:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There's love and money. There's amateur and professional. There's those who want tech-talk and those who just want to be told How To.

In this case, the partnership obviously wasn't working.

A person can record a podcast by talking into their phone, but it's not going to be as much fun to listen to as something more professionally recorded, with musical cues and what-not to make it into a SHOW. I have no problem with either approach, but the more listeners a podcast has, the more likely we are to know about it... and the more likely it is to continue.

The Internet is absolutely littered with blogs that have three posts and podcasts that ended after six shows. Constantly and consistently producing quality work takes time, effort, and... money.

Personally, I never hold it against someone if they are trying to make money. A high traffic website costs bandwidth every month. It becomes a target and then requires some kind of security service so it won't be reported as malware and blacklisted. The bigger it gets the more it needs expertise and attention for the many tweaks and adjustment required. Just to kept it running.

This is pertinent to podcasts, too, because podcasting is much easier with a website. Trying to do it without one means a lot of time... which is also money. And these services tend to shut down without warning, because everything costs something.

If someone wants an audience, they have to invest in what the audience wants. If the audience gets big enough, some kind of monetization is inevitable.
  #612   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 14:07

BF:

Well stated Werebear. I did not care for the commercials or the goofiness, but that said the podcast did provided very valuable practical information and did have a growing audience. It was #5 last week on iTunes podcast list. I love reading or listening to morecscientific presentations, but I also appreciated Megan's know how that came from working with hundreds of patients with severe metabolic disease and obesity.
  #613   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 19:19

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

How is Jimmy doing these days? Has IF proved to be the answer for him?
  #614   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 05:18

BF:

I am not sure in terms of overall weight, but he seems happy with his pathway which is what we all strive for I think. He seems to like a combination of routine short intermittent fasts with much longer fasts. I know he has very high weight loss with the longer fast and keeps off more than half of it at least one month. But he is now traveling as a "lchf and if" expert to conferences much of the year. I imagine all that travel constitutes a lot of new stress on the body and challenges his dietary woe. I don't routinely listen to any other podcasts beyond Fasting Talk as I don't generally like listening as my preferred learning method. Guess I need some level of visual stimulation to keep my brain engaged.
  #615   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 05:23

BF:

Dr. Fung's newest post The Fed and Fasted State is a very simplistic but clear explanation of the two states and why we need periods of fasting in our lives. Would be a great piece to earmark for sharing with someone starting out.