Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#676   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 12:39

Plan: lc, highish fat,
Stats: 224/154/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/29%/20%
Progress: 70%

oh ! I'll have to check out wait wait == I am absolutely dependent upon podcasts for interesting things.
Sponsored Links
  #677   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 13:03

Plan: IF
Stats: 210/200/165 Female 66
BF:High wt, 276, 255
Progress: 22%

Quote:
A common claim is that any amount of protein, even micrograms in coffee, will shut down autophagy, Dr. Fung himself has said this. But this is based on cell cultures, were the extracellular amino acids available to the cells can be brought to a very low level, lower than can happen in an intact animal.

Interesting and reassuring, even though I'm not a coffee drinker but I've been wondering about putting extra collagen/gelatin in my bone broth, a tablespoon maybe. What do you think?
  #678   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 18:04

Plan: Atkins 72 / IF
Stats: 224/153/155 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Giving IF a try

Been on low carb a little over a year with a few tweaks. As I reached my goal, adding back carbs caused me to stall, and even gain a few. My latest tweak was doing the Atkins 72 induction before adding back foundation vegetables. I did good on induction but once again gained a couple lbs. back after adding some carbs, even though I am under 20 total grams per day. I think I have figured out that it is not really the few added back carbs, but an increase in snacking after dinner that is the problem. Even though I am happy with where my weight is now, I need to stop the evening snacks before they become a problem. After reading about IF here, and following some links to Dr. Jason Fung, I am hoping IF will be helpful. While I do understand the arguments for IF, including giving your body time to do work besides digestion, controlling insulin, etc., the benefit for me will really come from just declaring eating outside the feed window off limits. Of course, I could just say no evening snacks, but I think the structure of following a formal 16/8 fast/feed 7 days a week protocol will make that easier. I have completed 2 days, and do not find it difficult, probably because it is not much different, except for the snacks, from my usual routine. I had been eating breakfast about 8, lunch, 12 and dinner 5:30, with several snacks, (cheese or meat) before bed. My IF routine is to eat breakfast at 10, lunch at 1 and dinner at 5:30. This means I finish eating by 6pm, giving me a 16 hour fast. I guess the only question I have, since I am not really in weight loss mode, would there be any benefit to gradually moving the breakfast later, eventually merging it with lunch, resulting in 18/6 or even 20/4 protocol? That is not in my plan right now, but I will remain open to additional tweaks. Comments?
  #679   ^
Old Mon, Sep-11-17, 18:50

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Just my own experience with eating times and IF have me eating two meals a day for a typical day starting around noon to 1pm with an early evening meal around 5:30pm. This gives me a daily fast of 18-19 hours. Some days I eat one meal at around the 5:30pm time, so that gives me a fasting time of 23 hours from the previous day. This works because I'm fat adapted and am used to burning fat for energy over glucose. Note that much of the fat I'm burning during the fasting period is my own body fat. Easing into a multi-day IF is easy this way, as I get over the initial hunger sensations faster than if I were not fat adapted and burning glucose as my primary fuel. I hope this makes sense, as it sounds like you are fat adapted as well. When I'm doing a multi-day IF, anything over 2 days is a situation where I am no longer experiencing hunger. I do these once every month to two months. You should be able to make tweaks quite easily based on where you are at this time. The only issue is how you respond to these longer IF periods and if it's favorable to your overall health. I have found it to be quite favorable to me, but everyone needs to find their own optimum method and schedule. Enjoy the journey!!!
  #680   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 05:43
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%

Agree with Rob, we find a schedule that generally works for us, and then are open to changes dues to social events, weekends, or an occasional longer fast if you are seeking the benefits from autophagy, etc. Dr. Fung skips breakfast and lunch about two times during the work week as he enjoys having dinner with his family. Jean eats earlier in the day, I skip breakfast and eat in a 6 or 8 hour window lunch to dinner. Find whatever works for you and be free to change things up.

Quote:
oh ! I'll have to check out wait wait == I am absolutely dependent upon podcasts for interesting things.

I have been a Wait Wait fan for years and even gone to their live shows in Chicago. There are years of shows in their podcast archives but listening to last year's news might be weird, though worth it for a guest you like. The Apple podcast store has "top charts", then broken down further by category, so that is what I turn to when looking for new ideas, assume Android store has similar charts. There are a number of podcasts from NPR and BBC, on history, economy, politics, and the "Stuff" series, like Stuff you missed in history class, that are news "made fun"

Here's the thread for health podcasts: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=464489. Glancing at it, there have been many changes...Underground Wellness is gone at least as Health, some listed I only occasionally hear if a good guest interview, get bored with the podcasters talking about themselves. I have added 2KetoDudes, KetoVAngelist (both of these have way too many ads which I skip) but they are good interviewers like Robb Wolf.

2 KEtoDudes did separate interviews with both Megan Ramos and Dr Fung on Fasting, and a show on their own experiences fasting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-13-17 at 03:14.
  #681   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 03:08
To Good Health!

Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%

Dr Fung's post on "Why you're always Hungry" is being widely shared because it was reprinted at Medium.com yesterday. I rechecked where that article sits in his Series on Fasting...Part 28! https://idmprogram.com/youre-always-hungry-fasting-28/

If anyone new wants to learn his views on Fasting, start at Part 1, posted about 2 1/2 years ago...it will be quite the ride. https://idmprogram.com/fasting-a-history-part-i/

There's a part 29 on Grehlin too but he recently started a new series on Cancer...up to Part 4 in only a few weeks...I wonder what he has planned

JL-I've been putting collagen in bone broth (when I remember to do it) hoping it will help with knee pain. Haven't noticed any difference but am not consistent. It seems to be somewhat "filling"...whether the hot broth or collegen, so I use it when fasting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Sep-13-17 at 04:05.
  #682   ^
Old Wed, Sep-13-17, 10:09

Plan: Epi-Paleo/IF
Stats: 220/162/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 83%

My own fasting has hit a snag as I deal with a resurgence of my Cortisol Resistance, this time in the form of stress eczema. Which is obviously a problem of cortisol not getting into the cells, yet the world of science does not seem to recognize this... which surprises no one here, of course

Part of the resetting protocol, which I have done before, successfully, is to eat around 50 grams of protein and fat first thing in the morning. My snag is trying to do this easily, since I hate the fuss of a full omeltte and so forth when I am also trying to get ready for work and do all those morning errands.

Also, skipping breakfast was a backbone of my fasting; now I need to make it skipping dinner. Which is supposed to help sleep, so that is also good.

One day success so far
  #683   ^
Old Yesterday, 07:20

Plan: ketosis/IF
Stats: 190/158/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhPSpgsOEW4

Megan Ramos, Dr. Fung's partner-in-crime, on her origin story.
  #684   ^
Old Yesterday, 10:36

Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, teaser, excellent presentation session by Megan!
  #685   ^
Old Today, 10:05

Plan: IF/Fung IDM/Potato Hack?
Stats: 375/274.0/175 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 51%

I love Wait Wait! But on that day I was in the throes of Hurricane Irma, and our local Jacksonville NPR station is also the designated local Emergency Weather Station for the national weather service, so they pre-empted all regular programming for "all hurricane, all the time" I'll have to go back to the archives and catch it!