Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 09:41

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Is it easier or harder to lose weight without a gallbladder?

For me its harder. A whole lot harder. I've had people say 'but you're older'...

No, when I first noticed it was harder, it'd been 6 months. now its been 18 months and the same thing. I've done some studying on it, and it seems like its not the same for everyone, but they don't know why it happens. That's why I settled on the ox bile/enzymes. Unless the GB does something more than they think!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 03:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyLe_RoAd
~WereBear

I've tried looking at multivitamins but I get so completely overwhelmed! I can't seem to find one that has a good amount of everything in it, and I have no idea what's vital to have in one if I don't get a complete one.

Multi-vitamins aren't that useful on low carb; I tracked when I first started Atkins, and made the RDA for everything but D without effort. But Vitamin D3 is a good place to start; most people are too low.

Vitamin D Council

To target which vitamins to take, there's an excellent book:

The Mood Cure

which makes the excellent point that sometimes we need amino acids and actual nutrients as well as vitamins.

For instance, I take niacin in large doses routinely, which helps me in a lot of ways. But while it works for me, it might not work for you.

And my constant hunger and cravings was helped by chromium picolinate. You finish a bottle and see how you feel.

But this is very individual and one must be willing to monitor their own feedback.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 02:49
Registered Member

Plan: Non-specific
Stats: 234/145/120 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

~quietone

Figures doesn't it? Especially when weight loss can cause gallstones! I think that's what happened to my mom and me. I found the ox bile online, it'll take a bit for it to get here though.

~WereBear

That's really my feeling, it seems like you're better off just eating healthier than taking a multivitamin. I'm already taking Vitamin D, when I stopped drinking the Silk soy milk I crashed and burned so hard. I figured it was either the vitamin D or the B12 I needed, B12 didn't make a difference but I took Vitamin D and it was just like my brain was open for business again!

The chromium picolinate really sounds like something I could use, I'll see if I can add that to my Amazon order, thank you!
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-18, 07:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Tyle, Are you still drinking the soy milk? One thing to consider is that both island flaxseed have phytoestrogens qualities and they can really do a number on you craving wise, as well as with brain fog. I've never had the soy but that flaxseed, man, even a tiny amount and I just want to eat a giant bowl carb laden foods!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 05:00
Registered Member

BF:

Yup, soy milk and flax seed both. That's interesting, I actually put in the flax seed to try to make the smoothies more filling, it'd figure if it was making things worse! I didn't notice any real difference when I started drinking soy milk again but there's probably no harm in ditching the flax seed and seeing what happens, at least that's something I can try now. Thanks for the tip!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 06:03

BF:

Also, remember that soy is a bean, and not all of us do well with legumes.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-18, 08:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default better with more

For me, under doctor's supervision (two doctors) I did better increasing from 20 carbs to around 50-60. I felt better and lost as much weight, definitely had more energy. But I am on meds that cause weight gain ... so who knows... it's all so individual and you have to tweak it so often... whatever works for you. Turtles just aren't a good food choice but there are others that are higher carb that could oomph your energy IMHO. But I am such a novice here even after almost 2 yrs. I just listen to my drs., read what's here, and go slowly with the flow. Good luck.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-18, 04:22
Registered Member

BF:

~WereBear

I know, that's why I stopped drinking it for a while, but when I added it back nothing bad seemed to happen. What would happen if I didn't tolerate it well?

~TrappaOne

I figure right now I'm getting a good 70 - 80 carbs if not more, I went flying off the wagon when I realized how much better I felt with some sugar in me.

Oh believe me, I wouldn't have eaten Turtles if they weren't a present, I don't even like them! I'm a Lindor lady. I don't know which way to go anymore, I think I'll probably go super low carb for a few weeks and try to suck it up, see if I adjust. But with everything going on with me right now, it really might be a much wiser plan to taper back on carbs so I won't get too sick rather than spend 2+ weeks in a semi-comatose state . . .

Thanks, I could use it!
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-29-18, 13:27

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I suspect that your body has not yet experienced ketosis, due to the high level of carbs. Yes, the 70-80 is lower than most SAD but according to Dr Atkins it is NOT low enough.

Until the enzymes are called into action, the body still wants and needs carbs.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-18, 03:16
Registered Member

BF:

Oh, I was only eating about 30 carbs per day when I was trying for ketosis, I'd never even dream of going into ketosis eating this many carbs! I just felt so horrible for so long that when I realized they made me feel better I decided to load up on them and give myself a month to recover.

As it turned out when I did my monthly shopping they didn't even have frozen strawberries at the store, so that settled that dilemma. Once I run out of chocolate milk I'm going right back off the deep end again, except this time I won't have fruit in my smoothies, I figure I should only be getting around 15 carbs per day at the most. If I haven't adjusted in a month, then I quit!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-18, 04:14

BF:

You have lost considerable weight, but this is the drawback of your plan being "Non-specific."

I recognize you have challenges, but perhaps it can help if you follow a plan as much as you can.

This link discussed low carb smoothies:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/...p/t-361121.html

and there's a book by one of the Protein Power Doctors:

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/200...id-weight-loss/

and here's a review of the program:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....ek-cure-almost/

Fact is, doing a bit of this and a bit of that makes you lost without a map.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-18, 10:57

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi, I love your screen name! My own screen name is the nickname of a little sheltie I used to own. His name was Merlin, but he used to grunt a lot so I called him my little Merpig.

I wish I had a good answer for you. I swear that somewhere in the last few days I read an online article of someone having symptoms like yours but danged if I can remember where. As I recall the solution (heresy!) was to eat more carbs rather than fewer, but in the form of things like sweet potatoes rather than Turtles, . And maybe more salt.

That’s why everything is so individual! For myself I find I feel awful when I try to drop carbs too low. About 50-75g seems to be more of a sweet spot for me. Good luck. If I remember the article I’ll post it here!
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 00:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyLe_RoAd
Oh, I was only eating about 30 carbs per day when I was trying for ketosis, I'd never even dream of going into ketosis eating this many carbs! I just felt so horrible for so long that when I realized they made me feel better I decided to load up on them and give myself a month to recover.

As it turned out when I did my monthly shopping they didn't even have frozen strawberries at the store, so that settled that dilemma. Once I run out of chocolate milk I'm going right back off the deep end again, except this time I won't have fruit in my smoothies, I figure I should only be getting around 15 carbs per day at the most. If I haven't adjusted in a month, then I quit!

I highly recommend reading Dr Atkins book.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 04:56
Registered Member

BF:

~WereBear

Well, I was almost paleo part of the time, except that I ate cheese because it's the only thing that makes eggs edible for me. If nothing else it made me realize that I really hate eggs! By the time I ditched them both I was having peanut butter and soy milk because I couldn't afford the same amount of almond butter and coconut milk. I didn't actually mean to eat almost low carb enough for ketosis, it just happened.

Thank you for the links! I'll check them out.

Yeah, I know. I'd happily try to do paleo properly, problem is that's going to cut my carb intake to the same 'almost but not quite low enough to enter ketosis' level again. I think the smart thing to do here is try for ketosis properly, then replace the non-paleo foods once I've adjusted. If that doesn't work out, then I'll simply eat a paleo diet loaded with fruit. Frankly that's much more appealing to me, but at the same time the ketogenic energy boost is something I'm in dire need of here!

~Merpig

LOL! I love your screen name too! I actually have a cat who's a grunter. She snores loud enough to wake me up sometimes too, but the grunting really cracks me up, especially if she does it when she's making a big jump.

I know what you mean, I've read so much stuff trying to figure out what to do that I can't keep track of it anymore! I loaded up on salt and it stopped the headaches if nothing else, but nothing short of carbs really helped with the fatigue. I should've loaded up on fruit really, but chocolate soy milk lasts way longer and I don't shop often.

I don't even know where my sweet spot is here! Right now my plan is to try to get into ketosis, and if I've given myself enough time for that and I still don't feel better, I'll add sugar to my smoothies until I figure out how many carbs I need to function, once I have a number I can figure out how much fruit to buy.

Thanks, I'll need some good luck, I'm jumping off the deep end on Saturday it looks like. I'll keep an eye open for a link.

~Ms Arielle

I'll see if the library has an eBook of it, I never did try checking out a book from them that way but this would be a good time to try it out!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 01:48

BF:

Used books are cheap via AMazon.