Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-02, 17:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/196/186
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Anyone from Northern California

Hi,
I've been on the Atkins diet for about 2.5 years now and have found it difficult to find people that are dedicated and knowledgeable about this eating lifestyle in my area. I live in Santa Rosa and would love to get to know anyone that lives in the area.
Best Regards,
John
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 12:01

Plan: LC food combining w/BFL
Stats: 210/178.5/145
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Bay Area LCer!

Greetings--

I just found your post----I am in Fremont. I'm not exactly in your area, but pretty darn close. I actually have a lc store in Fremont, GreenBeanz---the same org as Greenbeanz.com. Hope you are doing well!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 01:56

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 282/248/147 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Yet another Bay Area LCer!

Hi John & Tricia

I'm Eastbay too...with a couple of years under the belt, give or take a few months here and thereand almost a year at this forum...I also like greenbeanz and there is a new carb-busters store coming in San Leandro at Pelton Center due to open very soon...Can't wait to see what they call Low!

Welcome to the Forum!

Beth
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 18:37

Stats: 240/240/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Post I am also from the east bay!

Hello Everyone! I am also from Northern California. I currently live in Menlo Park and live in Walnut Creek so I pretty much cover all of the bay area. Good to know there is quite a few people around the bay area.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 01:11

BF:
Default Welcome Swozze!

Glad you found the forum! Have you found easy access the LC foods you need? My favorite reg store is now Trader Joe's! The Cheater Diet Treats Company has some delicious muffins and crackers too!...no to mention fudge brownies! They are only an occasional treat. I figure since this is a WOL rather than a diet it helps to find ways to make it stick for the long haul! (Life that is!)

Beth
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 18:26

Stats: 240/240/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello Beth - I have been to Trader's Joes but I am still in the process of figuring things out. Myhusband and I are going to start the offical induction diet on December 1st. So, right now I am finding all the places to go shopping and what not.

Suzanne
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-02, 18:59

BF:
Default Great idea Suzanne!

Planning ahead has got to be one of the very best things you can do for yourself on this WOL/WOE...Later it will become second nature to you both, but for the initial phases...plan ahead, stick to the induction allowed foods and eat when you are hungry, Oh, and do not second guess the "just one bite" rule... meaning just one bite can really mess you up on the path to ketosis.

Once your through a clean induction you can decide to move to OWL or stay on induction levels depending on the amount of wt you have to lose. If your new to LC Greenbeanz is another local store that even has Atkins meetings, starter kits, goodies, etc.

BTW, I went to a new mexican food place today and I'm always cautious the first time I order since I don't know their menu well...I ordered the Tequilla special salad...no alcohol, it's just the name of the place....I always ask whats in it...is the meat grilled? Without batter? Always specify dressing (BC) on the side, no croutons, or carrots...it had a spicy mild grilled chicken and lots of grilled shrimp, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, onions...(oops, forgot to say no onions)...not knowing how big the salad would be I also ordered a carnitas soft taco...and ate just the meat..needless to say I have leftovers for dinner now! But most places are doable once you get the hang of ordering.

Feel free to contact me here or in my journal if you have other questions.

Congratulations on making the decision to do something good for yourself!
Beth
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 12:07
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Hello everyone...I live in Vacaville and go to school in Sacramento, so I'm all along the I-80 corridor.

I DESPERATELY need some support...been doing LC since April and have just this week gained every pound back...only lost a total of 10 anyway. I could NEVER get to the point where I moved the scale in only one direction. It always went up 1, down 2, up 3, etc. I got disgusted and blew it all out for a week. I'm now back at the beginning wondering if this will really ever work for me. Fortunately, I have little choice but to continue, because there are definitely other rewards for me.

I'm glad to hear about greenbeanz...would like to take a trip and check it out. Keep me in on any "local" plans...

#9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:02

BF:
Default Welcome Donna!

Sorry to hear about your slip...Sorry to say I've been there too! In February of this year my husband was seriously injured in a work related accident and my exercise program (BFL) came to a screeching halt as I sat by his bedside... Then we took a much needed vacation when he was able to start to walk again and I am still relosing the weight I gained during my Titanic eating spree! This really needs to be a WOL rather than I diet I've found. There are lots of reason for me to "get there" too. More importantly though know is learning during the journey and making it doable.

Don't beat yourself up! Just pick yourself up and start over...up and down is the way my wt comes off too...it varys dep on how faithful I am about my portion size when it comes to some items like cheese, nuts and processed meats...much more so it is very directly effected by the amount of water you consume on a daily basis...when I don't get my water in I am immediately up 2-3 pounds by the next am!

P.S. Greenbeanz is on-line so you can check them out before making the drive, they also do phone orders, most of which ship the same day! Tyson chicken has a great chili-lime wings, I get em at costco that are very low carb and delicious! I also use when in a pinch Showboat brand sausages Hot and Mild at Safeway 0 carbs! Just afew of my local finds!

Take care and keep of the LCing!

Beth
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 10:53
Registered Member

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the info! I'm going to check out Greenbeanz this morning. I see that you are doing Atkins/PP and you seem to be doing VERY well... I've been doing Atkins since APRIL - with a little off and on stuff, had surgery in June, went on a cruise in July...that kind of thing. Now, it's the holidays coming up, another cruise in January! But even so...I started at 201, and as of Sunday I was back up to 200. Anyonw LC'ing for 8 months should have lost a good 30 pounds or so...

Thankfully, I'm back down to 195...after I stopped the protest binge and got the flu...which stopped me in my tracks. Today, I'm beginning again and I was wondering if you could shed some light on Protein Power. I'm seriously thinking that I'm not cut out for Atkins...although I modify it a bit anyway.

I'm not real disciplined at anything, and don't exercise much which I know is the missing ingredient for me. ANYTHING to get moving in the right direction would help. Even though I know there will be days coming up where I'll all out blow it...I need to at least get my body losing again. What is it about PP that you find better/different that just doing Atkins?

Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 01:32

BF:
Default PP is a good read or listen!

Well Marianna, sorry for the delay...I've been tied up with a never ending refurbishment project that suddenly had a deadline!

Hopefully you've been to the library and checked PP out... besides the thread here on PP...They have tapes and books on the subject...I really liked the tapes...I felt like they answered some of my questions about the how and why and also put some limitations or numbers to the question how much protein is enough! They have different levels to follow that may meet your needs at different times in your life and they take the kind of food you eat to a different level. I really didn't think much about organic before...they make you think and when all systems were go...meaning food, supplements and exercise...wow, what a difference it really made (for me). It's also where I learned more than I wanted to know about my BMI and BF%...just how fat I really am! No, really it was a good thing!

As far as Atkins goes...For me, it's a great and simple program. I don't need to think alot about it and sometimes that just works better for me. I sometimes have to be careful about not eating enough...this isn't a race and I'm not going to stop if I don't get out of the 200's by New Years... That said, I've seen this wt before and if this is just a diet, I WILL see it again. There are modifications to make to everyone's own plan. When you notice you stall when you eat macadamia nuts 3x a week...you put them away. I watch processed foods, salt and water intake. I don't do caffeine...(except for the occasional TOM LC choc intake) or diet soda. I occasionally treat myself to a small glass of red wine. It works for me. The wt loss is great but not having the migraines is for me a much, much, larger benefit. Being more aware of your body's reaction to food helps. Trying new LC recipes to add to your own favorite list keeps me from getting bored. The holidays are coming and I'm not stressing about the food...I'm gonna make cheesecake that I can have and my family knows not to ask me to eat things that don't work for me. Finally, the more times I ask my body to do this...the longer it seems to make me wait. When I'm on a roll, I am working on the self sabotage not to take the wind out of my sails. The time will pass, whether or not I'm taking care of myself...the outcome is all that will change. I choose to change the outcome. Think positve, change yours too!

Beth
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 08:10
Registered Member

Hi Beth,

I was planning on getting myself over to the library today and will definitely check out PP. I'm just curious, but I'm pretty sure that Atkins will work for me to if I stick to my guns...it's been so slow, but I'm with you on the migraine relief! Also, my sugar ups and downs are so much relieved. I just haven't really lost any weight. Since April, you would think at least 30 or 40 lbs would be gone, but here I am fighting the original 10.

Actually this week and last was another "induction" for me and since I had gone back up to 200, I consider the 190 I'm leaning towards a pretty good sign. Will check in again with hopefully good news.

#13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 23:04

BF:
Default Hey Donna!

I popped over to your journal and can see some of your ongoing frustrations...Terri Doodle is a real sweatheart, I'm glad you were getting some good feedback.

I don't try to say that I have the perfect version of the program as everyone has to find what works for them and I can see that you are very busy with your schooling...that takes alot of time. Two areas that I focused on while recording turtle progress were the exercise and "clean foods".

No, not the exercise lecture, I promise. It's just a little known fact, at least it was to me and it is still my goal to get back to the level I was in January with PP and BFL. It was so much more about how I went about it than how long or even what I did. I learned that the interval training of warming up, then striving for a level 5 (out of 10) of effort for a minute..climbing to level 6 for a minute, then 7, then 8 and then 9, each for 1 minute...and repeating this pattern starting again with level 6, etc 3X...on the fourth cycle I would shoot for and usually hit a level 10 of effort,...only for 1 minute! It was the most incredible feeling of accomplishment I have ever experienced. More amazing was that it lasted all day! I had more energy than ever and it took only 20-25 minutes including cool down. I used a stationery bike and for me a "10" was to ride like a monster was chasing me or that my kids needed help...serious mental images really helped to get there, that and good headphones! The greatest thing is that it is YOUR level of effort, not anyone elses. More amazing than that was how fast the level changed and my body responded. This was coupled with other food frequency and wt training program, but cardio is a great place to start!

The other part is the clean food thing...I stopped with the processed foods...lunchmeat, hotdogs, hamburger patties (unless I made them), sausages, bacon, manufactured (not fresh)dressings and artificial sweetners, and nuts, especially salted and I really watch peanuts..(not a nut, actually a legume) and limited cheese, increased the water to 3-1.5 liter bottles..slowly and finally broke through in a couple of weeks. I put the scale away for awhile, I didn't like what it was saying and it seemed to set the mood for the day. I used more flax cereal, chicken breasts, beef, the fattier the better...olive oil, grapeseed oil on my salads and made them from baby spinach and fancy mixed greens with peppers, mushrooms, etc. I use the George forman grill for fast food prep and the big bags of prewashed greens and spinach you can get from costco.

Just a few ideas that might shake things up for ya and let your body know you are making this connection no matter how long it tries to hold on to this weight! My other warning is really trying not to deviate once your body does start responding, it's like bumping your car off the road and having to restart all over again...at least it is for me! Now, I am eating some of those things only I am much more aware and try not to make it a daily habit. I will of course readjust if/when I hit the next pothole in the road!

Hope your day is super...the sun is holding out and I'm looking forward to getting outside tommorrow and enjoying it before the next rainy patch!

Beth
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 16:57
Registered Member

Stats: 170.6/163.2/145
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi! I just wanted to say that I'm in the Bay...actually, San Francisco. Anyone else from around here?

Stacy
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 17:22

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

I am from No. Cali, lol, compared to everyone else, I am EXTREME Northern. I am up in Redding, for those who don't know where that is, it is as far up the valley as you can get. Go anymore north and you are in the mountains.

There is ONE store that caters to low-carbers, and it is a candy store. Lol, called Sweat Treats. I've never seen a Trader Joe before, and am wondering if there is one in Sac, I go shopping down there every once in a while (actually been shopping in So. Oregon ~ no tax!!).

Anyways, just wanted to say hi!