Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:45

Plan: Whole Foods (my own)
Stats: 135/127/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default How do you feel about me posting here?

Hello everyone

I'm not exactly ON atkins, or anything really low-carb, for that matter. Yet I still love this forum as a support tool for weight loss in general. My diet is very "whole" foods-y, but as being a marathon runner, I NEED carbs in my lifestyle to support my exercise

I originally started posting here right after my first marathon - where I had GAINED 5 pounds (and not the muscle thing - my clothes fit tighter). Most of this was due to uncontrollable hunger. I then tried the Atkins diet for a while and was impressed at how it controlled my hunger. I since have read up on the diet and was amazed at how many misconceptions I had about it. I really do think its a great program

However, for me - I need carbs. I do concentrate on low-GI carbs, but I certainly get my carbs

So, my question is - does anyone have any problems with me posting here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:58
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I don't see why anyone should have a problem with you posting here. There are many different low carb plans out there, not all as strick as others. So this still remains a good place to gather information. You might get better advice for you individual situation if you post under the gerneral low carb section of the boards over the Atkins section. That way you won't get people coming along and telling you that you are not allowed this or that on atkins. Either way, welcome aboard The more the merrier!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 07:59
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

There are plenty of different plans on the board. Room for everyone! "General Low-Carb" covers a lot of topics, as do all the other plans with their specific threads, but we all kind of wander around everywhere.

It's easier for the moderators if we try to keep our threads under the appropriate heading, but everyone is welcome here! (okay, MAYBE not the ones who come in to tell us we're all going to die a horrible, cholesterol-clogged, kidney-less death... but there's even the War Zone for THEM. )

short answer? "HI!!!"
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 08:00

Plan: Atkins-Restarted
Stats: 140/140/140 Female 5 ' 3 "
BF:
Progress: 29%

Runnr -

I don't see a problem with it... looks like you are just trying to stay healthy with good carbs. And from what I have read, if you are exercising to an extreme you need more carbs...

I am not a forum moderator, but think support of good carbs can't be bad
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 08:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I think that this is the perfect place for you. If you are curious, visit the exercise boards and discuss this subject there. As you know there are those who are on a low carb diet while exercising although they eat a higher amount of carbs. Here is a link that might interest you
http://www.westonaprice.org/traditi..._americans.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Ooooh, I'm glad you posted here!!!

if all of us were as physically active as yourself, we probly would be eating like you as well.
but because most of us are not, eliminating one thing out of our daily diet seems to help us lose weight. keeping it off will be another story.

thanks for posting here, and keep us abreast of your races!

Lynne
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzybird
I am not a forum moderator, but think support of good carbs can't be bad

I think, any healthy diet that prolongs youth and comfort to our bodies and minds as we age, is a good thing.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 09:15
PuertoRican Princess

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Everyone is welcomed here. No matter what plan you are on, we are all in it for the same thing, to lose weight and get healthy. RIGH?

So, welcome aboard and nice to meet ya.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 11:02

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hey runnr,
I'm a marathoner too (just did SD RnR marathon in sub 4:00)!) and follow the Atkins diet. It was hard at first switching to low carbs but I found I eat better overall than when I was on the typical runners diet of pasta (whcih I hated anyways!)
Welcome aboard!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 14:59

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 135/130.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:26/???/18
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnr
I originally started posting here right after my first marathon - where I had GAINED 5 pounds (and not the muscle thing - my clothes fit tighter). Most of this was due to uncontrollable hunger. I then tried the Atkins diet for a while and was impressed at how it controlled my hunger. I since have read up on the diet and was amazed at how many misconceptions I had about it. I really do think its a great program

So, my question is - does anyone have any problems with me posting here?

Hi Runnr!! Welcome!! The same thing happened to me. I trained for and ran Chicago in 2000 and gained 10lbs!! WAY TOO MANY CARBS and not enough protein.

There are tons of helpful information. You might want to check out the Exercise Forums. There are several runners there and one marathon runner. (can't remember her name at the moment)

Welcome aboard!!!
-Aimee
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-02-04, 15:15

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

By the way, it's SOOOO common for women to gain weight while marathon training! MOST women I know gain, and I also post on the runners world forum and there are tons of posts about marathon weight gain! It sucks to come home from a 20 miler and not be able to put your jeans on! Even while low carbing I put on some wiehgt during marathon training.