Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 07:39
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Lab Rats on a Quest 13

Welcome to the Lab!

We're a group (mostly middle-aged and older women but men are also welcome) who seek low carb ways to attain our goals. We investigate, analyze and discuss various methods and practices to make low carb living our own. Anyone on a similar quest is welcome!

So if you have a mind to, pull up a beaker and join in. Mind the Bunsen burners, though.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 07:52

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Ah, our new home. lol
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-08-15, 07:54
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

New digs all clean and shiney.

I'm down .2 pounds. Point two. Hmmph. Kathy, I'm with ya on a clean jump start. No funny business. Jim is teaching tonight so I don't have to be concerned about dinner. I also didn't bring a second mug of coffee with cream to work. I'm going to see how less of both affects my blood sugar. Hey, it's the lab y'know. I miss the coffee already. Arrrrrgh!

We leave in two days but I should do okay on the road. I'm looking forward to it but I just HATE leaving the kitties. Hate it. They miss me, I miss them. I think it's just the idea of being so far away from them. They'll have good care and be fine. I'll have a good time. It's just angst on my part. My deer and squirrels will miss me too.

Sherri, I used to have a pedicure when I got my hair done but always ended up coming home to fix my toes. They bubbled every time, so much so that I had to remove the old polish and repolish all of them. It's because the nail wasn't dry before the polish went on. My nails have to be completely dry before any polish goes on and then that polish layer has to dry as well. The pedicurist informed me that isn't true "any longer" and the layers will dry. No. They. Don't. Bubbles are proof. So I do them myself as I did before and save money to boot. I have the routine down with soaking, scrubbing, snipping, clipping, drying, polishing, drying. One of my colleagues asked me how I reach my toes. Uh....not a problem. Keeps me limber.

Have a good one!

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Mon, Jun-08-15 at 08:18.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-15, 04:20

So, day one of cream cheese and macadamia fat fast done and 2 pounds down. That's 2 pounds down from a recent increase, mind you. Recent, as in over 3 months ago that I've not been able to take back off.

I now have the challenge of sticking to it for the next 2 days as a little development has occurred. My mom slipped on something on her kitchen floor yesterday afternoon and broke her left arm. I took her to the ER where we spent the afternoon and evening. She's been admitted for surgery this morning. My sister and I got home around 11 last night and will head back to the hospital shortly. I know I'll be prepping meals for my sister and won't have the support that Shelton was offering. It will be harder for me to stick to this if I have to prepare other food for someone else, but I am going to give it my best shot! I think I can, I think I can.

Catch you guys later!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-15, 07:31
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Oh Kathy, I do hope she does well and recovers quickly. The only thing certain in life is uncertainty. Hang in there. Try not to get stressed. Why is it that hurdles and roadblocks jump at us when we commit to doing something? Keep us posted. On a positive note, your sister understands your commitment to LCHF so if you stick to your guns you won't be seen as the whacko sister. At least, not as much.

I so understand about loss of regain. But you did lose! Yay you!

I'm the same as yesterday however I have a little more resolve now. Last night I tried on suits and dresses to see what I could wear to the funeral Saturday. Everything I had, even my stash of "skinny" dresses and outfits were way too big to even think of wearing. I thought for sure one outfit would work but it looked as if I tried on someone else's clothes. The only thing that didn't look totally stupid, even though it was too big, was a winter suit that was heavy and hot. Nope. So then I remembered a black and white print skirt I had but have never worn (too small) along with a black top I bought recently. I paired it with a black and white scarf et voila! I have something to wear! Then I felt all smarty-pants for being "too small" for my "skinny" clothes. I've been beating myself up for having an 8 pound weight gain that I've been see-sawing in for months and months after leaving ketosis. Now that I can see my accomplishment demonstrated even more, I'm not going to waste it. Nope. No food on earth is worth that. It feels so good to have accomplished that. There were times I couldn't wear these "skinny clothes." Yeah, I want to keep moving.

I did bring coffee with me today to work. The lab rat experiment will have to wait. It's a fasting day for me and a busy one! We are conducting interviews all afternoon for an admin. asst. who will also help me with routine data reports. Then I have to dash off to Culpeper to meet with friends for dinner and a birthday celebration. Jim will be teaching tonight so that's not an issue. I'll have to come home to organize things at home and to pack. We're leaving tomorrow. I love to travel but I do not look forward to leaving the kitties. <sniff>

Sherri, I've studied Spanish in high school and also minored in it in college (I minored in so many things because I couldn't decide on a major! I'm not accomplished as much as indecisive. I like everything.) When I was teaching math at the community college back home I took French because I always wanted to study it and it was free for me as an employee. I loved it and bought young adult and kids books to read. Amazon has all sorts of websites around the world. I also bought a few dual language books to help if I got stuck. I haven't read them in years but you've sort of given me the nudge to delve into them again. I love how you push to continue to learn. That's what life is all about.

Okay....I've babbled too much.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Tue, Jun-09-15 at 07:41.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-15, 12:35
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Oh wow!!! I absolutely adore our new digs!!!! Nice thread ya' started here Blue!!! (Thank you!)

Oh Kathy I hope your Mom is doing better!!! I can definitely empathize with your decision to do a fat fast. How is that going? I have been back peddling lately with all of the running/games/kids activities/etc... and the scale is starting to slowly creep up. It is so easy to get 'carb creep' when on the go. I try to be good but I've been stalled for a while and a little creep here and there has started the scale moving up again. Not much - but definitely in the WRONG direction! My friend that had the gastric sleeve surgery last week has lost about 30 lbs now. Of course, that also includes the three weeks of liquids only before the surgery. I am very happy for her but more than a little jealous too! I am definitely in the right mindset for a 'clean jump start'. I was tempted to try to drink just the Atkins shakes for a week or two to see if I could get 'clean' but the thought of those shakes... and all those sugar alcohols.... Oh my I WOULD be cleaned out after a week!! LOL They are good as a supplement and a meal in a pinch but I had to rethink the thought of having nothing else.... So refresh my memory... what are the basic rules to a 'fat fast'? It's been a while since it was a 'hot topic' back in the day.

Blue!!! Good for you girl!!!!! Doesn't it feel great to be smaller than all of your 'skinny' clothes!!!

Susan - Glad the contract process is going smoothly for you!!! They can be so stressful when they don't.

Sherri --

Okay back to work!!!

Later all!

Linda

(Okay just ONE little tid-bit about baseball... My 7 year old hit his second grand slam of the season Friday night!!! Yay Bryce!!! He actually hit for the cycle in that game as well! Now that would be a bit more exciting had it been in a major league game but I sure was one proud and excited Mom! He plays 8U (coach pitch) so his coach pitches to him and of course WANTS him to hit the ball... He just turned around to watch it go when Bryce hit his HR. He knew from the sound it made that it was going to go far. Okay... I'll stop now. I'm still giddy! I can't help it. He's MINE!! I'd love him just as much if he couldn't hit the ball at all. - I just wouldn't be as giddy! )
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-15, 15:57

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Nice new Lab, Blue. So glad you had to find a formerly too small outfit to wear. That is a great feeling.

Linda, glad your son is making you proud on the baseball field. Sort of makes it all worthwhile, right? Well, we have the skeleton of the walls all up. I can see where the windows and doors will be and how big the walk in closet is. He consults with me to see where I want the interior doors. It is nice to have the builder actually doing the work.

It is miserably hot today here. Not my favorite weather, especially for June.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 05:09
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Leaving this morning and I still have to pack! Down a bit this morning. Bit=.4 pounds. Yeah, I know. Big whoop. I'll be living an entire week of no testing and logging fasting blood glucose, weighing food or myself! Wish my statistical OCD self good luck! I do NOT want to come back weighing more.

Susan, the addition is looking good! Love the dog door.

Linda, I like reading about your games, et al. It's part of your life and that's part of why we're here. Way to go, Bryce!!

Okay....I have got to scoot. Lord, help me not to cry when I leave the kitties. They've been all cuddly with me this morning. All three of them. They know.

I'll pop in every day. Y'all behave and POST. Don't make me shame you.

Later 'gators!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 05:31

Blue, there is not greater feeling than old clothes that used to be tight that are now too big! That is an NSV if ever there was one! Non-scale Victory! Even after 2 days in to my fat fast, I'm noticing clothes fitting better.

Hey Susan, I saw the progress on your addition! That's going to be nice!

Morning weigh-in after Day 2 of fat fast and I'm down another pound and feel really good! If I were on my scale at home I'd probably be at 198, gosh if I can just keep the numbers under 200 I may believe that I can actually get somewhere with this! I'm weighing at my mom's house right now and her scale is about 2 pounds lighter than mine so I have to make adjustments for that. But, so far...so good. And not to be the bearer of TMI but because of all of the hustle and bustle with my mom in the hospital my normal regularity yesterday morning was not regular...losing a bit of that might improve that scale number too! Hey, I'm serious...it usually does! LOL

Anywho...to answer Linda's question. It was basically, am I following a plan and if so, which one? Well, here's the long and short of it. On the cruise, during Q&A time Dana proposed the question to Dr. Westman about people being completely stalled and having tried every tweak in the book and every type of fat fast (the one in her book, the egg fast, etc.) but still cannot trigger any more weight loss, what suggestions would he make to them? He did say that for some it really is difficult to move beyond certain stages, but he might suggest just doing the fat fast as originally designed by Dr. Atkins of just cream cheese and macadamia nuts for 3 days. That was it, short and simple.

I didn't look up anything at all, what the actual quantities should be or anything. I just thought I'd jump in with what seemed reasonable. So, I am still drinking my morning coffee (you wouldn't like me if I didn't) with cream and a bit of butter and then I eat 1/3 c. whipped cream cheese and a small pile of macadamias for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I snack on a few more macadamias if I get hungry but haven't really gotten hungry much. Yesterday, I have to admit that I did break down a little at lunch. Betsy got a chef salad from the hospital cafeteria for lunch and I got a small plate and put a little of her salad on my plate with a little bit of ranch dressing. I did that just for something that had FLAVOR! lol! I had already eaten my cream cheese and nuts, but just needed some flavor! That little bit of salad with ranch did the trick and I was good for the rest of the day.

Today is day 3 and I see no reason why I won't finish. Tomorrow will be back to very strict low carb. I don't plan on adding a lot of food at once, maybe some bacon and eggs for breakfast, a light lunch and dinner. I hear of too many people who gain everything back after a fat fast...I am hoping to NOT be one of them! Gain some back, yes. Gain all back, I hope not.

Mom should be coming home today. Her surgery was yesterday and everything went well. The doctor said he operated because he felt her type of break would heal much better if he did and after going in there, he felt it was the correct decision and that she should heal very nicely now. They gave her a shoulder block so yesterday she was feeling no pain. As a matter of fact, she couldn't feel anything below her shoulder. Oh gosh, I remember that feeling after my block when I had the rotator cuff surgery. WORST FEELING EVER! It was horrid! You knew your arm should be there, but you could feel nothing. That part should wear off today and then comes the pain. Hopefully, she won't have too much. Anyway, we're looking forward to bringing her home.

That's about it from me for now.

Happy day everyone!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 05:16

Another pound down this morning for a total of 4, which is 2 below my new "maintenance" weight! Now, to keep it off.

I can't believe I managed for 3 days. I just kept telling myself, "Come on, girl, you can do anything for 3 days and it'll all be over tomorrow." I DID IT! Maybe not perfectly. I did have a teeninesy salad again yesterday with some ranch dressing just to get a little flavor. Believe it or not but cream cheese and macadamias are rather bland. Oh? You believe me!! lol! Well, you'd be correct.

Today I start back very strict low carb and do not intend to go crazy adding in a bunch of foods and will probably only have 2 meals. Late breakfast, early dinner. Fingers crossed! I really hope this starts a new downward trend. If it does, I may do the fast once a month. Well, even if it doesn't, I may do the fast once a month...maybe one of those months will finally trigger something!

Mom is home and had a hard time getting comfortable last night but when she did was able to sleep pretty well. Recovery time is on and we intend to rock it!

Happy weekend everyone!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 14:34
Every day is day 1.

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 249.0/220.6/160 Female 67 inches
BF:Yup. I know.
Progress: 32%

Hey everyone!!!

Hi Blue you lurker you!

Well I'm back on plan this week and the scale is going down so that is good news. Of course, I still have to lose the bit that jumped up... Dang I hate losing the same 20 lbs over and over and over..... I will have to keep that fat fast in my back pocket. I'm sure I will feel the need soon. I am not sure I could do it the way that you did Kathy!!! I like cream cheese AND macadamia nuts but..... I need to get back to the basics from when I FIRST started. I ate a lot of eggs, chicken, broccoli, tomatoes and kept the cheeses and processed meats (gasp! Even BACON!) to a minimum instead of the Main Event. (I swear nitrates and sweeteners are going to be the death of me!!) I also was careful to drink a lot of water. Now I think coffee (with sweeteners and creamer because I can't drink it like Blue!) is my primary liquid source. Well that and diet mountain dew. Not too sure the good Dr. would approve!!! I need to get back to REAL food not just the stuff to 'get by'.

Kathy - Great news about your Mom's surgery!

Susan - So glad to hear the contractor is easy to work with. I feel for you with the heat! It's hot here too. Missouri is known for being 'humid' or as we call it 'muggy'! lol I hated the fact that we had so many 8:00 games but now I LOVE them!!! At least it gets cooler once the sun goes down even if it does mean not leaving the ball field until 10:00 or after. I don't mind my older son playing the late games as someone has to but I really hate it when my 7 yo has one. 7 and 8 year olds shouldn't be out that late (even though mine is every time Lanson plays........) let alone playing baseball!! At least school is out. It was really rough when school was in session. I got a lot of flack from parents about it and all I do is keep the score books!!

So well what has my week been like? Aside from games every night (a given, right?) I had the pleasure of taking Bryce to the ER at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night! Lanson was playing a late game and it was just about over - about 9:45 or so - when Bryce comes running up to me screaming and looking like a teenager in a slasher film! He had blood all over his face, neck and shirt. I immediately thought he had a nose bleed as both boys get them from time to time but he SCREAMS that he got hit. What happened? One of the kids started pushing the baby swing empty while he was swinging and it went wonky and hit him on the cheek just below his eye. It made a nasty gash (~ 1 inch) that was gaping open and gushing blood because of the pressure of the bone. Well I threw the score book to another Mom and with the help of a few very nice ladies we got some ice (I had immediately handed him a cold bottle of water to put on it as it was the best I had on hand.) and some toilet paper and we got the bleeding slowed down and his face cleaned up so he didn't look quite so scary. He did. Literally. There were other kids there staring at him scared to death!! Poor critter! Anyway, as the side of his face was really swollen and the cut was pretty ugly I decided to take him to the ER. My DH was coaching 3rd base so I called him over and dropped this bombshell on him: If I take Bryce to the ER can you and Lanson get a ride home? (We were playing about 30 minutes away from the house.) He about freaked out! On hindsight, perhaps I should have stated that with a bit more detail but I was in a hurry as the hospital was a good 20 minute drive.... Oh well, once I had James as flustered as I was I calmed Bryce down a bit and hustled him to the car and we drove - quickly - to the hospital with Bryce begging me to go the closest one (of two to choose from) and to also not let them do stitches. Poor baby!! Of course they had to do stitches! Otherwise he'd have a nasty scar!! (He still will for about a year but hopefully it won't be too bad!) Well they were nice at the ER and after a couple of hours and 6 stitches later (I will get the follow-up gift - the bill - in the mail. ) we were on our way home. We got home around 12:30 but by the time I was relaxed enough to go to sleep it was almost day light. Needless to say I took the day off from work and gave my sweet boy lots and lots of TLC!! Too bad it wasn't an earlier game... then he could of gone to one of the walk in clinics for $20. Going to the ER will be a nasty surprise when the bill comes in. Dang. Oh well. Accidents happen and he's worth it!

That's the excitement of my week so far. I'm sure I'll have more drama to report. The week is far from over!! HAHAHAHA

Later all!

Linda
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 05:22

Oh goodness Linda! Sorry to hear about your excitement, but happy to hear he's all patched up now and on the road to recovery!

For me, ER is 100% covered...hopefully the bill won't hit you too hard!

Still maintaining my fat fast weight loss. Linda, it wasn't the easiest thing to do because both cream cheese and macadamias are rather bland (that's why I had to have a small salad w/Ranch 2 days in a row just for some FLAVOR), but I decided that I could do ANYTHING for 3 days! If it was more than 3 days? No way! As long as I kept reminding myself that it's only for 3 days...I pushed through.

Later Lab Rats!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 19:36

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Linda, sorry for the midnight visit to the ER. My younger son was sewed up so many times we couldn't believe it. Now when his sons end up in the ER, once we know that they are okay, John and I just kind of chuckle. Miles was attacked by a rooster when he was 2 and had to go to the university hospital to be checked and stitched by a pediatric plastic surgeon. This last school year, Ty, the 5 year old, jumped or fell off the top of the slide at school. One time he got sent to UI hospital for specialized xrays and another time the second time the school called the ambulance because the first time had seemed to be so serious for a while. So I hate to say it, but boys will be boys.

Kathy I am fascinated by your macadamia nuts and cream cheese diet. I have a big container of macadamia nuts in the freezer, because I find them hard to resist and wanted to eat too many at a time. I think those two together would be a bit rich for my blood. But I love both. I will wait to see if your loss holds.

We had 2.5 inches of rain yesterday. It was kind of nice, no big tornado threats or winds. It did bring construction to a screeching halt and John went to buy a big squeege to try to keep water from pooling on the new floor. They started to put roof joists up Wednesday. It is amazing to watch these two men manage putting up the walls and roof joists by themselves. They are both very quiet and precise and take their time. Wednesday it was really hot and I went out to check on them and they were discussing something in fractions. It did my former 7th grade math teacher heart good to see someone using fractions!
They then turned to me and said we are so hot and tired our brains are fried and we are going home.

I was at a new low both Wednesday and Thursday, but today I was up .6 lb. I got down to 160.3 yesterday. I worry that if I mention it, it will be gone tomorrow. I sure would like to see a 5 in the 10's place. I started to go down when I quit trying. So now if I start getting excited about losing again.....well who knows?
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 05:56

Oh my, do I know that feeling! Being afraid to mention a new low for fear that it might not hold if you say it out loud.

I lost a total of 4 pounds during the fast, back to very strict low carb for 2 days and this morning, I am down another pound! I'm holding my breath that it holds!

See, I have heard many say that a fat fast will produce weight loss only to gain it all back once it's over. I am cautiously hopeful right now because it seems to be holding.

Susan, they are both very rich but that's also why they are a part of the fast. That richness (fat) is what helps keep you feeling full.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of your addition.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 07:17
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Still in Iowa. The funeral is this morning. I'm so tired of dealing with food. It's everywhere! I did have gin and diet tonic last night and awoke to a puffy face. I've always seemed to puff up with firewater. Doesn't matter what it is. I lose it eventually but it's one of the reasons I've never really been much of a drinker. We did have fun with the cookout last night. After the heat and storms on Thursday evening, last night was gloriously cool with a wafting breeze. As it got darker the lightning bugs came out and the kids chased them in the yard while we all sat around talking.

I'm pleased for both of you as you make headway in your goals and losses. I've never done a fat fast either but am paying attention just in case I need it when I get back from our trip.

Have a great day. Catch you all later.
I see you lurkers. Hmmmph.

Later 'gators.