Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 01:43
Registered Member

Plan: Fat flush plan
Stats: 188/176.4/140 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Hair growth supplements

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some hair growth supplements. I experienced some hair loss on a diet before starting atkins and some has grown back but its not complete.

i know that taking biotin, vitamin b, flax and zinc can help. but was wondering if there was any supplement anyone has taken that had all of that combined that is meant to use for hair.

I've read reviews on some -- but I still get iffy to as if its a real review or not.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 05:33

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Might want them for everything?

Not clear from your post whether you are already taking a thorough supplement program, or just want something for hair.

I don't know about hair-only supplements; I added Biotin as an experiment but if I don't notice a difference in one bottle, I probably won't buy another. But I'm already taking some 40-odd other tabs/caps/pills a day.

Hair's protein. It's one of the least important proteins, IMO, and if a body's not making enough, that could mean the body is using limited resources to maintain the more important proteins, like the ones in a heart.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 09:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Lots of people lose hair when dieting, not because their necessarily missing any particular vitamin or mineral, but because the weight loss is a shock to the hair folicles. It takes the body awhile to adjust, then the hair growth starts back up again.

There are other causes to hair loss, like low thyroid, alopecia and (I think) anemia. But it is very common during weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 09:37

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I suffer from Alopecia...have since I was 13 years old. They do have a vitamin for hair growth at Wal-Mart that you can buy. That might work for you, the only thing that I can really tell you is to wait it out. Your body might be in a shock from changing diets and needs some time to catch up.

I take a multivitamin, Oil of Oregano, Calcium, B-12, B-6, and eat plenty of protein to get my hair to stay and grow.

What is your menu like???
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 11:41
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

IMHO - the best thing to do is to start by taking a high quality "mega" multi-vitamin and fish oil. I also assume you are LCing. That should everything you need.

My hair now grows like weeds.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-07, 11:45
Registered Member

Plan: Fat flush plan
Stats: 188/176.4/140 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks everyone.
I just want to make sure I have enough nutrients in me while LCing because when I was on a different diet I wasn't taking any vitamins and experienced hair loss.

I will look for a mega-multivitamin, and perhaps look for the hair growth vitamin at Wal-Mart. Thanks everyone.