Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-11-03, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%
Default Risperdal

Hello,

I am currently on Topamax, Wellbutrin & Risperdal. I didn't feel like I had a problem losing weight while I was on the Topamax & Wellbutrin alone but when the Risperdal was added I felt like I am having a harder time losing the weight. I was just wondering if anyone else on this board was taking Risperdal and had similar experience with it.
Also if you are taking it, does the confusion go way.. because it hasn't seemed to go away with me. I thought it was a temporary thing.

Thank you
Candice
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 158.5/124.4/112 Female 60 in.
BF:33%/26%/???
Progress: 73%

Hi Candice,

I don't know about the Wellbutrin or Topamax (never been on either of those) but just the other day my dr gave me samples of Risperdal. I did research & found out that WEIGHT GAIN is an unfortunate side effect w/ the Risperdal. I haven't been on the pills long enough to know if I'm going to gain weight or not, but you're justified in your concerns. Talk to your dr about it.

Paty
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 208/205.4/135
BF:BMI 35%/35%/22%
Progress: 4%

Hi Candice

I was diagnosed bipolar back in '98. To get the mania under control they put me on Risperdal (and Lithium).

By confusion, do you mean the kinda off center feeling the med gives you?

I only take fragments of a pill now when I feel myself "speeding up". One or two sleeping pills and a fragment of a Risperdol will usually keep me from edging into mania. It is mainly a matter of making sure I don't go into sleep deprivation mode.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 13:36

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%
Cool

I only took respiradol real briefly back many years go.... I now take topomax (helped me lose 20 pds initally last fall), wellbutrin and lamictal. I also take the "newer" Geodon which can be used in place of respiradol I believe. It didn't have the weight gain and I am losing weight nicely on Aktins (35 pds since 1 March). Maybe you can check in with your doctor about it? Zyprexa causes tremendous weight gain in some so be aware of that also..
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 07:19

Stats: 225/225/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default risperdal

HI, I am new to this board so bear with me. I didn't even check the date on your post. I gained 80 pounds on zyprexa, made me very very hungry. Don't go on it. I recently went on risperdal and haven't noticed any changes. Good luck. I am bipolar,mixed and rapid cycling. Lucybear
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 12:41

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Risperidal

It may be that your dose is too high. How long have you been taking it and what time of day do you take it in relation to your other meds ? I believe that Risperidal is available in a syrup form where it is easier to adjust the dosage in small increments. It oculdn't hurt to ask your pharmacist.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 02:25

Stats: 224/185/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 53%

when i was on risperdal, I was gaining weight... I went off that medication quickly because of it.. so that may be part of why its been hard for you..
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 11:33

Stats: 168/139/120
BF:36%/29%/18%
Progress: 60%
Default Uggghhh

I was on Effexor after thebirth of my daughter. I was taking a fairly high dose. I gained a lot of weight on it. As soon as I went off, I lost about 20 pounds in 5 weeks. It really sucks that the medications which are supposed to improve our illness (depression, bi-polar, OCD, etc) and state of mind contribute to something that affects our self-image negatively.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 23:39
Registered Member

Stats: -/-/140
BF:
Progress:
Default Re: Risperdal

Quote:
Originally posted by Candiflip
Hello,

I am currently on Topamax, Wellbutrin & Risperdal. I didn't feel like I had a problem losing weight while I was on the Topamax & Wellbutrin alone but when the Risperdal was added I felt like I am having a harder time losing the weight. I was just wondering if anyone else on this board was taking Risperdal and had similar experience with it.
Also if you are taking it, does the confusion go way.. because it hasn't seemed to go away with me. I thought it was a temporary thing.

Thank you
Candice

Hi Candice!

I'm also on Topamax & Wellbutrin along with Tegretol. (Bi-Polar) The doctor put me on Risperdal for awhile but I just couldn't lose weight and this was while I was dieting. He did say that it was one of the side-effects so he took me off of it and switched me over to a medication called Moban. It's also an anti-psychotic and it works really well for me without the weight-gain properties. I haven't gained any weight from it and have no problem losing weight either. *thinking that the weight I've gained is from too much cake, really* Honestly, though... The few pounds that I have gained had been due to my cake binges before going back onto Atkins.

I hope this helps!

Elle
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 15:59

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

I take Risperdal and find no effects on my weight. Only thing it does it put me to sleep.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 16:07

I was at 145# but am afraid to weigh myself because I know I have gained weight on the Risperdal. I was gaining weight before this but I am also trying to stop smoking so I have also gained weight from that.. I am still smoking cigarettes a day but that is down from 12-13 a day. I will go down to 0 soon. I just didn't want to go on the patch or chew the gum. I have heard mixed results about them.
I was on 1mg of Risperdal a day but it was just decreased 2 weeks ago to .5mg because I believe I was being over-medicated. The side effects were way over the top. I could not think at all. Almost to the point of not being able to function each day. My topamax had to be decreased from 500mg a day down to 400mg.

I also wanted to say that since I started the Risperdal that I have been eating more... and the bad thing is that they are not low carb things. The weight gain was even before the cravings and eating the wrong things. Then after smoking far less I have had way more cravings. Since the risperdal my willpower isn't all that great I have been eating the wrong things. I don't thing I have gained all that much but I have worked so hard to get where I am and I don't' want to gain more back because I don't' have the willpower and I know it has something to do with this drug. Prozac and lithium made me do the same thing.

Thank you
Candice

Last edited by Candiflip : Sat, Jun-07-03 at 16:14.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 16:09

Elle,

I will have to ask my Dr. about Moban. Thank you for telling me about it.

Candice