Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 11:29

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 255/232/202 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Ketogenics

Hi everyone. I am 62 and was diagnosed in Feb 2011 with advanced non-operable cancer. The medications that I am on give me secondary type 2 diabetes.
I read a book on the success of ketogenic diets and brain cancer. Talked to my MD and he suggested that I start this diet. Every time I take my Blood Sugar it is now in the mid 80's and my a1c is 5.4 so the diet it taking care of the diabetes very well.
According to the diet parameters, I keep my carbs at 12 grams and keep my proteins and fats in check too. I have lost almost 30 pounds and continue to feel good and loose weight. Has it killed my cancer? unknown, but I am still alive and receive minimal medications.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 12:35
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome to this little corner of the internet. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope your new way of eating has a positive effect on your cancer. I've reversed my type 2 diabetes with a LCHF diet and I did it without medications. Still not enough people (including doctors) give this idea serious consideration and opt for pills and needles to try and keep the condition in check. I've read about the potential of a ketogenic diet as a treatment for cancer - particularly brain cancer. I really hope that this is not just hype or poor science. I hope it is reality for your sake and everyone else. It is one thing to consider the potential benefits hypothetically and another to actually live it. I am sorry to hear about your cancer and I hope your diet can help you beat it. It is certainly worth a shot.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 12:36

Plan: Low carb.
Stats: 190/183/146 Female 63.5
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hi and welcome pbjeeps10, plus every good wish for your endeavours. I know little about diabetes and even less about cancer but I'm rooting for you.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 13:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That's awesome! Whose diet are you following? I think it is Dr. Seyfried that has done a lot in the field: http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/biolo...n/seyfried.html
There's also the organization: http://www.singlecausesinglecure.org/ looking into the metabolic causes and treatment for cancer.

How long have you been doing ketogenic diet?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 14:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, what an inspiring story... Almost four years since diagnosis! When did you start the diet? In addition to the website Nancy linked, this young radiation oncologist recently posted an update on his previous Ketogenic information posts. http://www.cavemandoctor.com/2014/1...t-cancer-stand/ and I have found this website (and book) useful too.
http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com Sounds like you are doing great, but let us know if we can help. All the best,
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-14, 06:21

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 255/232/202 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default keto

The main two authors are Lyle McDonald and Ellen Davis. I have also used the ketogenic-diet-resource website and read blogs by several other authors. I have been on the keto diet for only about 9 months but was doing a low carb diet for the diabetes. Ketogenic diet according to Ellen Davis allows only 12 g of carbs per day where others allow more.

Previous to the ketogenic diet I was doing mainly the low glycemic load approach and a year before the diagnosis, my previous doctor told me about the "china study" and I followed a strict vegetarian diet. I lost a lot of weight but the cancer went crazy. I did all vegetables and fruit and most of them were raw. So much for that theory.

I was surprised when my doctor agreed with me that the ketogenic diet was the way to go.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-14, 09:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might enjoy Dr. Ede's blog. She talks about ketogenic diets and cancer: http://www.diagnosisdiet.com/

Jimmy Moore's N=1 experiment with ketosis is also interesting.
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...-day-1-30/14409
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-14, 13:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ellen Davis's book, which I also have, is based on Dr Thomas Seyfried's work. His book is very technical and she "translated" it to a more practical diet. I heard him in a recent interview say that patients in active treatment found it difficult to get the blood glucose levels as low as he suggested in the first trials, and has adjusted the ketone/glucose ratios slightly, but if you can hit them, great. Ellen was been generous and helpful to me by email, even remembering a question I had months later and adding to her answer. She would likely know of any adjustments that may now be recommended. Also check Dr D'Agostino's site, and a recent IHMC talk. http://ketonutrition.org/#

http://youtu.be/yWRnma8Tet0 Hang in there through the part about Navy Seal divers, the second half has many good points about using Ketosis to manage Cancer. He has a graph showing keeping blood glucose at 70, all the time, is the goal...with high ketone levels. Very challenging (I've tried).

Dr. Colin Champ just gave a lecture at this same facility, (TheIHMC YouTube series on nutrition is all very helpful) but his speech has not yet been posted on YouTube. I am looking forward to that!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Nov-08-14 at 14:38.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-14, 10:18

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am no expert, but have read quite a bit about a ketogenic diet at least improving both diabetes and cancer. Good for you taking the plunge and doing something positive for yourself. I am sending Positive thoughts and energy your way.