Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-18, 17:01

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Tried to Zero carb, back to LCHF/Keto

This is a repost from another thread that apparently no one views anymore. I was off plan for a while, slowly at first, then all the way. Tried to snap back into it with Zero Carb, but I think Low carb is best suited for me.

Repost for input:

Hello all, I was redirected here by ~Jey100.

A question for you all doing ZC. This is my second go at trying Zero Carb, but I just don’t think I can hack it.

I have not been totally ZC, I am still drinking an erythritol flavored drink a couple of times a day. I find that when I try to drink just water, I still feel hungry. I may feel full for about a 1/2 hour, but then I am hungry again, or my stomach seems unsettled, almost gurgly.

My usual meals have consisted of:

Breakfast: A package of bacon, or a few eggs with crumbled bacon and a little cheese. Usually 1 lb. of bacon, though.

Lunch: Sometimes skipped, sometimes 2 double quarter pounders from Mcds, or a Strip steak or ribeye with some butter.

Dinner: Steak or two with some butter. Sometimes skip dinner if had a big/late lunch.

Today I had to work and skip breakfast, so I had one erythritol beverage in the morning, and then at about 3 pm, I had a 12 oz. Ribeye at Longhorns. Got a bacon cheeseburger to bring home, and ate that around 4. Was still hungry so I made a 1/2 package of bacon. It’s almost 7, and I’m hungry and I feel like I could go eat a bag of cookies.

I’m about ready to quit and go back to Keto/LCHF. That has worked for me before, but I liked the simplicity of this, and people seem to have great results with it. I have lost about 8 lbs. so far, since Christmas. My pants do fit better, but I feel like everyday is a struggle.

Before I give up, does anyone have any tips or advice? I’m pretty sure I can’t last much longer. Also, I think about food a lot, and sometimes I think I’d rather not eat than have another steak. I feel like a failure for giving up again...

Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 05:46

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hi AnneChocco, I want to respond but probably won’t have time until tonight or tomorrow.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-18, 11:40

BF:

Thanks anyways! I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back to LCHF/ Keto. I know I felt excellent that way, and I can always try Zero Carb when I am fully fat adapted and feeling better.

When I got vegetables the other night that came standard with my meal, I almost dove right in with out thinking.

I miss cooking, both for myself and my hubs. It is much easier when you can taste the food.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 16:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Do what works for you and be aware that it changes with time. I do zero carb days after a high carb day and it works to clean out my system and curb the hunger that high carb food causes. You seem to be the opposite so go with that
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-18, 22:26
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi AnneChoco -you are not a failure. Like clothing, you don't fit the diet, the diet has to fit you.

Some thoughts:
A lot of the times when I feel really hungry it's right before I'm going to chuck some weight off. I don't know why my body fights it.

Maybe you could zero carb a couple of motivated days in the week and raise your carbs other days.

Or, maybe its more comfortable to lower your carbs slowly down to zero, do meat and egg thing first.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 06:05

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I often zero carb, not out of some strict regimen, but just because I don’t really like vegetables that much. Sometimes I do it deliberately as I find it’s the best way to lose water quickly if I’m feeling bloated. I don’t fight my urges anymore and I feel better and very content with ny WOE these days. I keep foods that are on plan for me in the house that will satisfy my various cravings.

I have always been a carnivore. Even in college when I was practically a vegetarian, I always craved a nice rare cheeseburger. Fast forward thirty years to a few months ago when I suddenly began having beef aversions. Never before in my life has beef looked unappetizing. But I went with it and primarily ate chicken salad instead.

These days I’m back on beef, mostly. I do occasionally get chocolate cravings. To satisfy them, I keep a mixture of Crazy Richards peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa and vanilla (~2 net carbs a tablespoon) in my fridge and will have a teaspoon or too. If I’ve been drinking wine sometimes the chocolate craving is bigger than can be satisfied with my low carb Reese’s and so I keep some low carb chocolate ice cream in the freezer for emergencies but almost never touch it.

As far as veggies go, I do eat chicken and broccoli in an Alfredo sauce from time to time. If I’m at a restaurant, I’ll often order asparagus with my steak. The other day I was home and I actually felt like eating a salad so I did. Not sure if I actually wanted the greens or my homemade low carb Russian dressing, but I ate it and was satisfied.

My foods may not appeal to you but I think the main point is to try to find what works for you and to keep your house stocked just in case. You know your cravings best. What on plan foods satisfy them?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 13:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
I often zero carb, not out of some strict regimen, but just because I don’t really like vegetables that much. Sometimes I do it deliberately as I find it’s the best way to lose water quickly if I’m feeling bloated. I don’t fight my urges anymore and I feel better and very content with ny WOE these days. I keep foods that are on plan for me in the house that will satisfy my various cravings.

I have always been a carnivore. Even in college when I was practically a vegetarian, I always craved a nice rare cheeseburger. Fast forward thirty years to a few months ago when I suddenly began having beef aversions. Never before in my life has beef looked unappetizing. But I went with it and primarily ate chicken salad instead.

These days I’m back on beef, mostly. I do occasionally get chocolate cravings. To satisfy them, I keep a mixture of Crazy Richards peanut butter, unsweetened cocoa and vanilla (~2 net carbs a tablespoon) in my fridge and will have a teaspoon or too. If I’ve been drinking wine sometimes the chocolate craving is bigger than can be satisfied with my low carb Reese’s and so I keep some low carb chocolate ice cream in the freezer for emergencies but almost never touch it.

As far as veggies go, I do eat chicken and broccoli in an Alfredo sauce from time to time. If I’m at a restaurant, I’ll often order asparagus with my steak. The other day I was home and I actually felt like eating a salad so I did. Not sure if I actually wanted the greens or my homemade low carb Russian dressing, but I ate it and was satisfied.

My foods may not appeal to you but I think the main point is to try to find what works for you and to keep your house stocked just in case. You know your cravings best. What on plan foods satisfy them?

Thanks everybody! I feel better already just having made the decision. I have tried to shift my original thinking. I just didn't feel as well with the ZC WOE.

It was very interesting to me this morning, however. I bought some 88% Dark chocolate thinking that it was going to be heaven, and it really didn't do anything for me. I am really craving some veggies tossed in butter and garlic however! I will be making a trip tonight to buy some veggies. Just want to incorporate them slowly, as to reduce any gastric distress.

Mmmm... Alfredo sauce. Maybe I will make some of that tonight. I have fresh chicken at home already.

I REALLY appreciate the support here. Things can get so convoluted in your head, and it so helps to have someone to bounce ideas off of!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-18, 08:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Noticed that too: a couple of insanely hungry days or brief periods of intense hunger pangs in the gut before losing. A body fights using its fat stores -- it's like savings in your bank account
Usually when the hunger pains hit me and my energy wains I take a nap if possible, then eat soon after. Also more water, fat and salt can help. I prefer some Topo-Chico sparkling mineral water to banish cravings.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Jan-20-18 at 08:56.