Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 14:15
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Exercise and the Dirty Carnivore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno123
Can someone start a thread for Exercise and the Dirty Carnivore so that we could discuss the specifics of exercise type, frequency, duration, pros and cons exclusively?

Okay, meat-eaters, let's get physical!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 14:17

Plan: Atkins Ind. + exercise
Stats: 209.0/200.6/155 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Sounds great!! And now I have saved the thread so I can find it later.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 14:22

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 310/275/175 Female 170 cm
BF:
Progress: 26%

I want to add to the facts about swimming... I sometimes thought that my swimming as a child made my metabolism go haywire. We swam at all temperatures, I remember water of 54 degrees F.. that was COLD and you really needed to develop fat to be able to stand it, I think.
I swam every morning at 7 and every afteroon after school we were in the water. It was a small village and that was the only thing we could do <g> and I loved it!
Of course this is just one of the thoughts that have crossed my mind about the reason why I was so fat so quickly, so just thought, let's see what y'all think about that!?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 14:38

Plan: Primal, Panu
Stats: 228/190/170 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thank you, Ms. Rose.

There is an old adage that you cannot out exercise a bad diet and I agree but I think that there are valid reasons to exercise.

Personally, I had a period of about 8 years between exercise sessions. Exercise and physical activity receded into the background-work, family commitments were in the forefront as they should be.

Now I realize that an hour or so excercse routine can be incorporated seamlessly into my life and actually enhances the other aspects of my life. Obviously that "number" could be increased or decreased with little effort and nothing else would be adversely affected.

Paleoeat has a great review with some of the highlights of BBS and I hope that he could cut and paste them here. Dr. McGuff discusses the benfits of heavy slow weightlifting as an exercise and others would benefit from his arguments.

One point that I will mention is that he believes that lifting weights in a fasted state promotes insulin sensitivity.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 16:20

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Rose, I missed this and started a thread in the exercise forum. Oh well, maybe that one will get deleted. Thanks. I'll repost my remarks here, as this particular spin interests me anyway:

I am interested in learning and sharing more about exercise programs that are suitable to increasing overall health in people following a mainly carnivorous diet. That is the reason for the term 'dirty' - those not necessarily following strictly animal foods only.

Many people have had issues with energy on very low carb diets and exercise routines - especially high intensity ones, such as martial arts, weight lifting and others. In my experience, energy was never a problem for me following martial arts, weight training and other forms of exercise. But I have also seen that others don't do so well in this regard. Why is that?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: ZERO CARB
Stats: 167/145/120 Female 64
BF:25
Progress: 47%

Hey guys im with you on this as well.

Today I did lunges and realized how out of shape I was WOW!!!

going to do 20 min of Elyptical machine tomorrow

Lets get physical
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 17:00
Wag more, bark less.

BF:

Per Satya's request, I'm reposting this from my journal to the exercise thread. This is regarding a study on swimming vs. running in rats:

As far as the study's concerned, I've only skimmed it, but this is from the abstract:

Quote:
Results of this study suggest that both types of exercise improve bone mineral density, that swim exercise may be beneficial in preserving femur Ca content, and that swim exercise and voluntary running may be beneficial in improving tibia strength in OVX [rats with their ovaries surgically removed, to stand in for postmenopausal women] rats.

It certainly sounds as if swimming and running are beneficial for rats.

A little deeper into the study, there's this cite:

Quote:
Rourke, et al. (1998) demonstrated that BMD was significantly higher in female swimmers compared to runners, indicating a beneficial effect of swimming on bone health in young females.

Satya is right, there are a lot of gems in here. I'll comb through it when I get home tonight.

Last edited by OregonRose : Thu, Jan-21-10 at 17:17. Reason: Clarify what in the Sam H*ll I'm talking about
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 17:02
Wag more, bark less.

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
Rose, I missed this and started a thread in the exercise forum. Oh well, maybe that one will get deleted.

Oops--I missed that; shows how often I'm in the exercise forum. Well, maybe this topic really belongs over there; I'm not sure how they prefer things on this forum.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 17:14

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

Well, I heard one of our ALC Old Timers say that the moderators like zc type stuff in the challenges section. Let's just wait and see if they delete the other. This is fine.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 19:24
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Lol, you guys know this thread to me is like throwing a dog a bone. Exercise
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno123
Dr. McGuff discusses the benfits of heavy slow weightlifting as an exercise and others would benefit from his arguments.

One point that I will mention is that he believes that lifting weights in a fasted state promotes insulin sensitivity.

I do heavy weightlifting. Sometimes slow, but I do not believe in the super slow approach. I also life semi-but-not-completely fasted (I lift eating .5lb. GB prior). I still eat my largest meat at night, independent of my lifting.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Lifting slow is a silly waste of time with multiple negative outcomes. Move the weight as quickly as possible through the concentric phase and then be sure to lower under control for the eccentric phase.

There is some recent research that indicates that having fresh aminos in your system before you lift is a good idea so that tissue remodeling post exercise damage won't have to wait till sometime after your first post-workout meal. Kate's method of 0.5 lb. of ground beef before a workout is a good idea. That's about 30-40 grams of protein depending on the fat content of the beef. Nice solid punch of aminos to feed your muscles!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 20:19
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Ben, thank you. I actually lift or do the push part quickly, as you say, and do the negative slower to have time under tension.

I found the exact amount to eat that makes me feel both light on my feet when lifting but also completely satisfied--food does not cross my mind when lifting. It took a LOT, LOT, LOT of trial and error, trying different cuts of meat, combinations, etc. until I discovered just .5lbs. of raw 80/20 (70% fat abouts) works so perfectly!

Then I come home on weeknights and my warrior bowl awaits. Sorry, beef bowl haters, but it's making me so strong and lean!

I look forward to hearing more from you, Ben. Feel free to post in my journal about lifting--it is my love.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 22:55

Plan: Primal, Panu
Stats: 228/190/170 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Thanks for joining in Ben.

Arthur Jones and a few others advocated lifting the weight as fast as possible while under control and since he also advocated heavy weight, the "fast" lift would actually move slowly. That's what I do.

Dr. McGuff's philosophy actually promotes Time under load (tul) instead of reps and he does use a slow cadence. To me, and many others it's not silly at all and actually rather effective.

I didn't read the research that you mentioned. I personally discount any research conducted by supplement companies because they have a vested interest in promoting eating protein before a workout. Most of the recent internet commentary (Robb Wolf, Dr. Harris, Mark Sisson, Art DeVaney, Ori Hoffmekler) has been about lifting and exercising fasted. Obviously, to each his own.

I have not been eating breakfast and by extension I lift in a fasted state.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-10, 23:07
Registered Member

Plan: ZC
Stats: 140/138/120 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

legs and abs today