Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 10:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Strongest Urge to Cheat/Emotional Eating

So, I've never really needed a reason to eat - hence the reason for being almost 400 pounds I guess. Today, the monster has jumped back up after a morning of arguing, reminders of a lifetime of disappointments and failures and just over all crap the urge to grab a Mountain Dew and snickers or pint of ice cream has never been stronger. I guess it's strange to me that's it's still there so strong. I haven't cheated, and I won't.

I guess I really just needed to vent. In 8 months, I've never been this close to grabbing sugar! There were no strategies, just kept telling myself no - so, I guess how do you guys do it? I did opt for the diet mt dew instead of the regular! Ha!

Last edited by bworthey : Fri, Jul-25-14 at 07:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 10:35

Plan: Unsure
Stats: 165/165/000 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am having the very same situation today. Had a BIG argument with hubby. I was imagining all kinds of things I could dig into to make me "feel better"....I didn't but stress can really kick those cravings into gear.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 11:21

BF:

Sorry you're having problems this morning too! Mine was with my mother. Ugh! And it's amazing how strong the feelings are. How vicious the cycle is, how stupid I feel actually for letting something like good have this much control over me - and I didn't even cheat this time!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 11:23

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

When the urge is overwhelming, I think of something they say in overeaters anonymous: Never get too

Hungry
Angry
Lonely or
Tired
aka 'HALT'

Sure enough, when I stop to think about it, inevitably I will be in one of those four states. Realizing that is what's causing the urge helps me put it in perspective and therefore fight it off.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 11:35

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I am finding the same thing lately - I get stressed, I start thinking about sweets and treats. I haven't given in, but wow, that feeling can be strong!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 12:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
When the urge is overwhelming, I think of something they say in overeaters anonymous: Never get too

Hungry
Angry
Lonely or
Tired
aka 'HALT'

Sure enough, when I stop to think about it, inevitably I will be in one of those four states. Realizing that is what's causing the urge helps me put it in perspective and therefore fight it off.

These are usually the emotions that cause the strongest cravings. Very true indeed!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 12:43

BF:

HALT - yeah, that's when I eat. Also add happy, sad, excited, sleepy, bored, or if I'm studying, watching tv, working - I think you get the point! Ha!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 12:50
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
HALT - yeah, that's when I eat. Also add happy, sad, excited, sleepy, bored, or if I'm studying, watching tv, working - I think you get the point! Ha!

Yup! I totally get it! I'm a really good example of an emotional eater. I used to not even be aware that I was doing it, just that needed to always go on a diet.
When I finally saw that I was doing what I thought I wasn't doing, it became a learning process of finding other things to do when I'm hungry/stressed/angry/lonely/tired. Venting is big for me.

You did great to come here and reach out! That's the first step! And you didn't cave in!! That's the second step.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 16:11

BF:

I used to find myself standing in front of the fridge, with the door open staring at food, what can I eat - wouldn't be hungry! Sometimes would have just walked back into the kitchen to out my plate up from finishing eating a meal or could be finishing a meal and be thinking about what's next, what's in there I can eat next? And I'd be full!!!! But I wanted more. I never understood that disconnect, my body, my stomach is full but something is telling me - eat more, get something else. Now, since doing low carb, I've started leaving food on my plate! That was a rare thing for me!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 16:30
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bworthey
I used to find myself standing in front of the fridge, with the door open staring at food, what can I eat - wouldn't be hungry! Sometimes would have just walked back into the kitchen to out my plate up from finishing eating a meal or could be finishing a meal and be thinking about what's next, what's in there I can eat next? And I'd be full!!!! But I wanted more. I never understood that disconnect, my body, my stomach is full but something is telling me - eat more, get something else. Now, since doing low carb, I've started leaving food on my plate! That was a rare thing for me!

Yup! Its a big learning process. You are seeing yourself clearly now.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 19:12
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I NEVER thought I was an emotional eater until I had a similar situation---stress with one of my kids it was, I think--and felt SO entitled to have something sweet directly after. It was one of the hardest cravings I had ever experienced (probably because I fought it off rather than giving in), and one of the weirdest!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-14, 19:33

BF:

It is amazing how much control emotions can have over us. I guess recognizing it is the missing puzzle piece. We have to see it before we can change it.