Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 09:46

Plan: Low Carb/Intermittentfast
Stats: 133/133/125 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Afraid and Scared of eating ANY fat

I am scared of fat. Simply put anything with the word "Fat" in it makes me think I am going to get fat off of it. I started LC and have not been doing so well on it. I am going to post what I am eating everyday so you can see how little fat I am eating.

(Break Fast) 2:00PM: 1 piece of bacon and 2 eggs. No butter or cooking oils.
5:30PM: 1 plain chicken thigh with skin and bone and a side salad consisting of a few lettuce leaves, 1/2 a cup of cucumbers and 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing.

I am eating 5,5 grams of carbs and eating like 500 calories and I am convincing myself it is enough. I am convincing myself that it is alright to eat little fat and little carbs. Because the thought of adding fat seems "Unnecessary" to me. Like I don't get why I need to eat so much more fat.

I have SO many options at home to add fat with I have peanut oil, olive oil, high fat olive oil margarine, mayonnaise, different types of lettuce, sour cream, ground beef, "lean" steak cutlets, chicken thighs with skin and bone, freezer full of bacon and big jumbo eggs yet I will not eat more then 2 eggs and 1 piece of bacon and a plain chicken thigh and a side salad without feeling like it is going to make me fat.

I am one of those people who think "Fats make you FAT" and I am especially worried since I only want to lose 20 pounds and I feel like the only way to lose it would be to be extremely difficult on myself and keep my carbs and fats low. I am not even eating 10 carbs right now! I am actually eating around 5.5 carbs.

This is one of my many attempts of LC and my second attempt was my most successful I feel. I was eating a bit, fat sausage for my first meal with eggs and spinach cooked in some butter and garlic and for dinner eating chicken with a big salad. And I noticed results much quicker them not, my carb bloat disappeared within a matter of about three or four days. Now my stomach is just sticking out more, I feel hungry at the end of the day and force myself to keep going without fat anyways.

I do not even use ONE tablespoon or high fat olive oil margarine to cook with or cover my chicken thigh with. I do not even use ONE tablespoon of olive or peanut oil. I do not use mayonnaise and will not eat tuna and mayonnaise lettuce wraps because I fear the mayonnaise is too fat filled.

I feel ridiculous because I feel like everyone eats fat on here. I am also concerned if I start eating fat I will eat too much! I would LOVE to add another piece of bacon and some butter to my breakfast and perhaps another jumbo egg to make a nice big batch of buttery eggs and bacon but I am concerned about the fat! It is all about the fat!! Ugh what do I do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 09:49

BF:

I am unsure how many grams of fat I should aim for as well. Like 100? I have no clue.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 09:52

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

How did you do it before when you were successful? eat the fat I mean.

I get the fear but man, it's way more scary to be eating the way you are! talk about inviting starvation bad things.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 09:58

BF:

I ate a sausage with a high fat content one single one had 13g of fat (in the lower one) and the other kind I ate had 16g of fat. And I also used a tablespoon or two of high fat margarine while cooking my spinach so was eating probably 20-30 more grams of fat then I am now.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 10:11
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiebear
I am scared of fat. Simply put anything with the word "Fat" in it makes me think I am going to get fat off of it. I started LC and have not been doing so well on it. I am going to post what I am eating everyday so you can see how little fat I am eating.

(Break Fast) 2:00PM: 1 piece of bacon and 2 eggs. No butter or cooking oils.
5:30PM: 1 plain chicken thigh with skin and bone and a side salad consisting of a few lettuce leaves, 1/2 a cup of cucumbers and 1 tablespoon of ranch dressing.

I am eating 5,5 grams of carbs and eating like 500 calories and I am convincing myself it is enough. I am convincing myself that it is alright to eat little fat and little carbs. Because the thought of adding fat seems "Unnecessary" to me. Like I don't get why I need to eat so much more fat.

I have SO many options at home to add fat with I have peanut oil, olive oil, high fat olive oil margarine, mayonnaise, different types of lettuce, sour cream, ground beef, "lean" steak cutlets, chicken thighs with skin and bone, freezer full of bacon and big jumbo eggs yet I will not eat more then 2 eggs and 1 piece of bacon and a plain chicken thigh and a side salad without feeling like it is going to make me fat.

I am one of those people who think "Fats make you FAT" and I am especially worried since I only want to lose 20 pounds and I feel like the only way to lose it would be to be extremely difficult on myself and keep my carbs and fats low. I am not even eating 10 carbs right now! I am actually eating around 5.5 carbs.

This is one of my many attempts of LC and my second attempt was my most successful I feel. I was eating a bit, fat sausage for my first meal with eggs and spinach cooked in some butter and garlic and for dinner eating chicken with a big salad. And I noticed results much quicker them not, my carb bloat disappeared within a matter of about three or four days. Now my stomach is just sticking out more, I feel hungry at the end of the day and force myself to keep going without fat anyways.

I do not even use ONE tablespoon or high fat olive oil margarine to cook with or cover my chicken thigh with. I do not even use ONE tablespoon of olive or peanut oil. I do not use mayonnaise and will not eat tuna and mayonnaise lettuce wraps because I fear the mayonnaise is too fat filled.

I feel ridiculous because I feel like everyone eats fat on here. I am also concerned if I start eating fat I will eat too much! I would LOVE to add another piece of bacon and some butter to my breakfast and perhaps another jumbo egg to make a nice big batch of buttery eggs and bacon but I am concerned about the fat! It is all about the fat!! Ugh what do I do?
IT IS NOT FAT! IT IS HEATHY DIETARY FATTY ACIDS AND HEALTHY DIETARY LIPIDS!!!

Remember that HDL means high-density LIPOproteins! That means FAT AND PROTEIN. They work together. Helps remind me that fat is necessary to keep the body from robbing itself to make the fat my body needs for health.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 10:25

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Repeat after me, FATS DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT - that is a (pardon the archaic expression) wive's tale.

Fats do not go from your digestive tract to your hips, waist or wherever your problem is. They get digested and broken down in your gut like all the other foods you eat.

Sugar doesn't make you sweet.

Blueberries don't make you blue.

Veggies won't make turn you into a plant.

The LC diet is a modification of a ketogenic diet. The K diet is a high fat, moderate protein, very low carb diet. It was given to epileptic children and it reduced both the frequency and intensity of their seizures.

There was one side effect. The high fat diets made them lose weight.

The way I understand it is that high glycemic foods make you fat. High G foods are those that are either sugar or turn into sugar quickly in your body (most starches). This causes an insulin burst which in turn tells your body there is an excess of sugar and it starts to store that sugar in your body's fat cells so you can have some reserves when the starvation season comes. But we don't have a starvation season anymore because we have food storage and importation down.

Fats have a very low glycemic - next to nothing. Therefore they do not trigger an insulin reaction.

So fats don't make you fat, starches and sugars do.

Learn about how your body processes the food and you will understand why fats don't make you fat.

Other than sugar/insulin there is one more thing that will make you fat. Eating more calories than you burn. Fat does have a lot of calories, so if you sit down to eat a few pounds of bacon, and you don't exercise, you can expect to gain some weight.

The grain industry started telling people that fat makes you fat, and complex carbs do not. So the people in the US started eating a low-fat, high complex carb diet. What happened? America got more and more obese, and heart attacks climbed through the roof.

The grain companies like this because they are making huge profits, the doctors don't mind because they are making money with drugs and operations, and so the ads (both overt and covert) keep on coming.

But the proof is in the pudding. Fat makes you skinny.

Of course, there are special circumstances in a small percentage of people where fat may be a problem. Always use caution when changing a diet and check with your health care provider if you have any problems.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 10:35

BF:

Quote:
I ate a sausage with a high fat content one single one had 13g of fat (in the lower one) and the other kind I ate had 16g of fat. And I also used a tablespoon or two of high fat margarine while cooking my spinach so was eating probably 20-30 more grams of fat then I am now.
I mean, how did you get over your fear of eating fatty sausage? Or your fear of adding fat to cook spinach?

I'm wondering if baby steps might be less freaky for you. Like just have 2-3 eggs and saute them lightly in butter. Starting out from total fear of fat, to eating the poster child for fat, fatty sausage, is like jumping into the deep end when you can't swim.
And tuna salad - you can moisten it with olive oil and have avocado with it. Still more fat but without another poster child for fat, blobs of mayo.
Or have full-fat cottage cheese. It's not so blatantly fatty but still gets your body what it needs (dietary fat).

PS margarine is not as good as butter and olive oil - check the ingredients, might be a ton of junk in there. It is here where my stores are.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 11:09

BF:

I am going to attempt to add some more dietary fats today. I am adding another piece of bacon and going to add 2 tablespoons of high fst margarine (I don't have butter at the moment but this margarine has 9 grams of dietary fat per 2 tablespoons) and for dinner add half a can of tuna and be bold and add some mayonnaise to the tuna and have it piled over some Romainr Heart Lettuce Leaves and have another teo tablespoons of high fat margarineelted on my chicken thigh. Is that too much fat for the day?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 11:12

BF:

Ah the errors in that text post lol! Meant to say I will melt some of that high fat olive oil margarine over the chicken thigh....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 11:17

Plan: sort ofatkins
Stats: 205/144/140 Female 5;6
BF:
Progress: 94%

hi, I think most of us have found it strange at first to eat high fat when we start on lc..why is it different now for you and fat then it was when you were ok with eating higher fat amounts?..When I started I was unsure also, but I trusted the people that gave me the fat info and for me its the one thing that helps me loose, kill my cravings, make me feel better and more healthy..but I do think as have been suggested you should read about how its all broken down, this might help with the fear of it..I would suggest like seejay has said that you just add bits slowly.if you arent loosing with what you are eating and you dont feel great, always hungry etc then you have nothing but a lot to gain from adding some good fats into your diet,if 1 bacon and egg in the morning is ok for you then why not try it later when your hungry or scrambled eggs with a bit of butter, not marg, butter is your friend..
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 11:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramaya
hi, I think most of us have found it strange at first to eat high fat when we start on lc..why is it different now for you and fat then it was when you were ok with eating higher fat amounts?..When I started I was unsure also, but I trusted the people that gave me the fat info and for me its the one thing that helps me loose, kill my cravings, make me feel better and more healthy..but I do think as have been suggested you should read about how its all broken down, this might help with the fear of it..I would suggest like seejay has said that you just add bits slowly.if you arent loosing with what you are eating and you dont feel great, always hungry etc then you have nothing but a lot to gain from adding some good fats into your diet,if 1 bacon and egg in the morning is ok for you then why not try it later when your hungry or scrambled eggs with a bit of butter, not marg, butter is your friend..

Thanks I know you all are right and I appreciate ALL of your help SO much! I just need to get over the fear of fat! It is so yummy though and it makes me less cranky and feel more full and less hungry. I would why lol?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 14:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Adding this here also should others have the same issue:
Read 8 reasons not to fear fat.
http://authoritynutrition.com/top-8...saturated-fats/

This website has many good other articles that will help you, also read the top 20 most popular articles, especially the ones about nutrition myths:
http://authoritynutrition.com/most-popular/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Oct-18-13 at 15:58.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 14:11

BF:

Quote:
Thanks I know you all are right and I appreciate ALL of your help SO much! I just need to get over the fear of fat! It is so yummy though and it makes me less cranky and feel more full and less hungry. I would why lol?
I know that is funny right, when our own bodies are telling us this is so great, but i'ts not sposed to be? what's up with that.

Also one thing took me a while to figure out. Trying things for a week at a time, nothing very bad can happen in one week, and I could learn a lot about how I responded. and then, I could still make changes! nothing is written in stone! I somehow have this idea that I wanted to find the ultimate permanent eating plan that I could set and forget once and never think about it again. Ain't going to happen. I change, times change, food changes
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 15:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Information is the enemy of ignorance and fear.

Why don't you read a book like "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living"?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-13, 16:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
I know that is funny right, when our own bodies are telling us this is so great, but i'ts not sposed to be? what's up with that.

Also one thing took me a while to figure out. Trying things for a week at a time, nothing very bad can happen in one week, and I could learn a lot about how I responded. and then, I could still make changes! nothing is written in stone! I somehow have this idea that I wanted to find the ultimate permanent eating plan that I could set and forget once and never think about it again. Ain't going to happen. I change, times change, food changes

Thanks I am definitely going to keep trying this! I feel SO good after adding in the fat. I ate over an hour ago and usually around this time I am feeling weak and tired and kind of in a "Vegetable" state but today I feel better and am currently sitting up feeling awake and alert and was even able to carry in all the groceries my mom brought home and go for a small walk! It is crazy how much of a difference I feel! This must be what people who are experts of LC (like yourself) are talking about with the extra energy. I am looking forward to going in Ketosis hopefully within the week and feeling much better while doing it. Do you think the added fat might help me get into Ketosis easier then before (I calculated i was eating about 27 grams of fat now I have upped it to 54 and will probably go even higher when I eat some ground beef my mom picked up for me today it has 15 grams of fat per 4/5 a cup). I have currently been unable to get into Ketosis with the lower fat count each day. Hopefully I will be able to now that I have upped my fat level and literally doubled it!

Have an awesome day, you deserve it!!