Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 00:28

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Red face Emotional Eating

I just read an article that made me mad, and then stalked over to the kitchen and started eating! I angrily ate slices of cheese and olives, every so often stomping over and ranting something to hubby. I was not hungry, though! Just really pi**ed off. Eventually I calmed down and realized that I didn't need to eat, but the damage had already been done.

I have no idea how to control myself in that kind of situation. If you are an emotional eater, what things do you do to catch yourself? What are your personal methods of intervention?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 00:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 447/190/230 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 118%

I take my dog for a walk
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 04:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

I feel like eating when I'm:

bored
busy
sad
happy
angry
glad
hopeful
depressed
tired
energetic
thirsty

And the list goes on.

I'm RARELY hungry if I'm honest with myself...I have to watch that constantly.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 09:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 165/152/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 52%

So. Moving threads.

My threads always get moved!!!!!

Before I started this thread, I actually looked for a time for a different forum to start in. The place where this thread ended up did not jump out at me during that time! It is difficult to navigate through the intricate web of various other, somewhat dead forums. Also, I like the people on this forum. It's fun here.

I do not understand the passive aggressive tendency to move my threads to the low-traffic suburbs. Is it that my questions are too easy? Or too hard? Are they questions that you do not want to think about? AM I BORING!

I am miffed. Mad! I can tell when I'm not welcome. I'll find another place to post things. But don't worry, I wont emotionally eat right now. Since it's the morning, I'll just emotionally drink a cup of coffee and remove all of this forums links from my book marks. WE ARE BREAKING UP!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 09:25
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysoda
So. Moving threads.

Before I started this thread, I actually looked for a time for a different forum to start in. The place where this thread ended up did not jump out at me during that time! It is difficult to navigate through the intricate web of various other, somewhat dead forums. Also, I like the people on this forum. It's fun here.

I do not understand the passive aggressive tendency to move my threads to the low-traffic suburbs. Is it that my questions are too easy? Or too hard? Are they questions that you do not want to think about? AM I BORING!

I am miffed. Mad! I can tell when I'm not welcome. I'll find another place to post things. But don't worry, I wont emotionally eat right now. Since it's the morning, I'll just emotionally drink a cup of coffee and remove all of this forums links from my book marks. WE ARE BREAKING UP!

No, your thread was moved, IMO, because of its content. Nothing to do with your personally....and you should try to not take it that way.

Learning to become aware of what sets us off to go eat out of an emotion is a hard thing to do. Once we do it the first time, it will become easier to recognize after that. It is a very consciouness raising task...we need to remain vigilant at all times. I know that I do....
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:07

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellysoda
So. Moving threads.

I hope you are making a joke; if not..you need to figure out what in life is worth getting mad about and what's not.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think that's called a "flounce".

Jellysoda, that isn't passive-aggressive and has nothing to do with you, I'm guessing. More like this forum was a more appropriate place for the topic. It is the job of moderators to do that. Usually they leave a link in the place you originally posted so people can see where the thread went to.

You got several really good replies to your posting and we found your post. Or do you not value our replies?
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:53

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jellysoda: when a post gets moved it doesn't mean that it's lost to the dead-thread cyber graveyard. People who click on New Posts will always find anything there that has been moved. My personal routine is User CP, then General Low Carb, then New Posts. After that I pick and choose around the board depending on what interests me that day.

Oh, you had a question. Well, I eat my co-workers M&M's when I'm aggravated or bored. I could just kill him for having that dispenser on his desk. The only way to stop myself is to go outside and walk around the block once or twice. That usually helps me think through whatever upset me and then the M&M's are forgotten.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:58

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Yeah... I will overeat sometimes when I'm stressed or angry. Fortunately, eating low carb, it's not as harmful a result as it otherwise would be.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 13:06

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I never understand when people don't want to post in "less trafficked" areas, because when I come on here to read what's been posted I just use the new threads link and it shows me everything I haven't yet seen, regardless of WHERE on the boards it's actually posted. When I was new, I had threads moved, too, they still got read and replied on.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 13:54
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Quote:
I have no idea how to control myself in that kind of situation. If you are an emotional eater, what things do you do to catch yourself? What are your personal methods of intervention?

Tracking and food logging actually help me with this. If I make it my rule to log every bite that goes in my mouth, then I can see how a nice, under-control 1600 calories day got sabotaged into a 2500 calorie day, and that motivates me to want to not do that again. I use Fitday.com

Oh, and like the others, my routine upon coming to the board is also "User CP" first, to check for new posts in threads I've already posted too, then "New Posts (No Journals)" to see what's new and of interest. That's how I found your thread. I have/had no idea what folder it was in. Doesn't matter.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 14:32

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think that's called a "flounce".

I'd grade that as an epic flounce, actually.

Not being an emotional eater myself--when I'm emotional the last thing I want to do is eat--I do know people who eat when they're sad or bored. This was the first time I'd heard of somebody eating because they were angry. Every day's a surprise on the internet.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 14:43

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I've never thought of myself as an emotional eater - I tend to feel physically sick and lose my appetite if I am sad or angry.. However, recently some people offered to pray with me, and I just poured my heart out, leaving a big hollow, empty feeling in my stomach. Later, at my parent's house, I stuffed my face with cheese scones I'd bought for my dad. It was almost like I was trying to fill that void in my soul. Probably if I'd been at my own home, I'd have sat down with the computer and distracted myself, or done something else. I guess you just need to form new habits and different ways of coping.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 11:09

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I don,t think there was any call for the drama but I do think this forum is way too divided up when it comes to threads. When someone is doing a paticular diet plan then why is it not aproprieate for them to post everything diet related on that forum? Emotional eating is diet related as is falling off the wagon . General nondiet related chat should be posted else where and for diet related topics like posting health and diet studies it make sense to have thier own area so they don,t fall out of the picture to fast and are easier to find for referancing at a later date.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 14:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA

Not being an emotional eater myself--when I'm emotional the last thing I want to do is eat--I do know people who eat when they're sad or bored. This was the first time I'd heard of somebody eating because they were angry. Every day's a surprise on the internet.

Really? Thats actually shocks me!

I'm a person who was taught very young to keep my feelings to myself, stuff them down, so to speak. So my anger got stuffed down with food. Its very common, especially amongst women.

The only time I truly lose my appetite is when I am feeling true grief over a loss.