Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 12:45

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Determined not to let a break-up derail me

Broke up with my BF 2 days ago. [Insert backstory here that would be boring to anybody but me].

I think it's for the best, but I miss him. I miss the "Hello Beautiful" email he sent me every single morning since the day we met. I feel despondent at the prospect of never finding anyone I want to share my life with again. I know these feelings will pass and I'll be meeting new people soon; believe me, I have no intention of staying home to mope. But I'm in a bit of pain right now and I have the urge to use alcohol as a form of anaesthetic. Well, we all know how dangerous that is to our w.o.e. I had 3 glasses of wine at home alone last night which is unheard of for me. I have been known to sometimes drink to excess when out with friends, but never alone. I'm not ready to cry on my friends' shoulders about this yet, nobody knows. But I thought that posting here would help dilute some of the feelings I have right now and maybe that will make the alcohol/anaesthetic "cure" less necessary when I get home from work today. So far I've been under-eating even with the wine, but that's just shock I expect. Eventually I'll get my appetite back with a vengeance and then it will be imperative to ditch the wine - before the crazy food choices begin, LOL. Oh, I typed LOL and I smiled! Posting this did help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 13:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sorry Whofan. *hugs* I send some strength and happiness your way. You will get past this!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 14:13

Plan: SBR/Atkins
Stats: 154/135.5/130 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 77%

((Hugs Whofan))
You are self-aware and here and we are here for support!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 16:19

BF:

Thank you both. Knowing someone supports and understands you really does help.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/150/150 Female 63 inches
BF:

Oh baby! Stay strong.. the next worse thing to breaking up..is breaking up AND getting fat!! If there is a time when you want to feel confident about yourself..it is now! The only good news.. broken hearts do heal.. and some day you will look back and be thankful for winning the battle!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-12, 17:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

AW man. That's awful, but it does get better. Sounds like your attitude is pretty good.

My best to you!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 06:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskergram
Oh baby! Stay strong.. the next worse thing to breaking up..is breaking up AND getting fat!!

That did make me smile. No, I'm not going to get fat over this. In fact my commitment to staying slim is renewed. I see a pretty new dress in my future. Hell, maybe even a little botox to wipe away the frown lines he gave me! Thanks for your kindness huskergram and werebear!

Glad to report that I had no alcohol last night, but cooked a juicy ribeye steak with sauted spinach, followed by a bowl of raspberries topped with plain greek yogurt. Then I went to bed and slept the sleep of the dead for 9 hours. Woke up feeling healthy and energetic today with much of the sadness gone and a little hint of anger instead - which I think is healthy. I believe the 5 phases of grief/loss are denial, bargaining, sadness, anger, acceptance. I've finished with the first two and am on my way to the fifth.

I'm sorry to whine about all this when other people have worse to deal with. But there's been a lot of loss in my life (deaths and divorce) and that aching hollow feeling in the stomach just never gets easier.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 07:15

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
that aching hollow feeling in the stomach just never gets easier.

I would bet we all know that feeling, whatever the cause. Glad you decided to post instead of drinking alone. Best wishes to you as you move forward.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 07:58

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

why the break up?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 08:00
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
That did make me smile. No, I'm not going to get fat over this. In fact my commitment to staying slim is renewed. I see a pretty new dress in my future. Hell, maybe even a little botox to wipe away the frown lines he gave me! Thanks for your kindness huskergram and werebear!

Glad to report that I had no alcohol last night, but cooked a juicy ribeye steak with sauted spinach, followed by a bowl of raspberries topped with plain greek yogurt. Then I went to bed and slept the sleep of the dead for 9 hours. Woke up feeling healthy and energetic today with much of the sadness gone and a little hint of anger instead - which I think is healthy. I believe the 5 phases of grief/loss are denial, bargaining, sadness, anger, acceptance. I've finished with the first two and am on my way to the fifth.

I'm sorry to whine about all this when other people have worse to deal with. But there's been a lot of loss in my life (deaths and divorce) and that aching hollow feeling in the stomach just never gets easier.

No, the aching empty hollow feeling doesn't stop at first but it does go away over time.
I'm sorry that you are having to deal with these feelings.
At the same time, you knew how to take care of yourself last night by making yourself an amazing meal! Good girl!

I too, am glad that you came here to write about this. Very smart!

FYI- There is a baby boomer meetup on 8/2 with swing dancing on the UWS. If you pm me your email, I'll shoot it over to you.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 10:31

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:

You sure aren't whining! I admire that wonderful dinner you substituted for a pity party.

If what we are holding in our hand is not right for us; we must let it go, to find a home elsewhere. Otherwise; we are making two people unhappy.

Then we have an open hand to present to the Universe; so it knows it needs to be filled

Life, light, and love to you, Whofan.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-12, 11:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
If what we are holding in our hand is not right for us; we must let it go, to find a home elsewhere. Otherwise; we are making two people unhappy.
Then we have an open hand to present to the Universe; so it knows it needs to be filled

Wise and wonderful words. Thank you.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 08:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc

FYI- There is a baby boomer meetup on 8/2 with swing dancing on the UWS. If you pm me your email, I'll shoot it over to you.

Update: The more time I had to think about the breakup the more I realized it was for the best. Am now fully in the acceptance phase and even have a slight sense of relief that it's over - which I didn't expect.

I've connected with a couple of interesting guys on line and am having dinner with one of them next week. And last night I went dancing at the place Judy mentioned. I had a great time! It's been decades since I went dancing. I'd forgotten how much I liked it. I met two very nice men who kind of took me under their wing, introduced me to people, and re-taught me how to dance. I'd definitely like to go to next month's dance since now I won't feel like a complete stranger.

I'm not saying this break-up has been easy, but the future doesn't seem as bleak any more. I've only had one drink since my first post, and that was a glass of wine last night. Eating has been healthy and almost clean lc. In my youth I would have smoked a carton of cigarettes and drunk a gallon of vodka by now!

Thanks Judy and everyone else. You have no idea how much you helped me get through this.

Last edited by Whofan : Fri, Aug-03-12 at 09:07.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-12, 08:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Update: The more time I had to think about the breakup the more I realized it was for the best. Am now fully in the acceptance phase and even have a slight sense of relief that it's over - which I didn't expect.

I've connected with a couple of interesting guys on line and am having dinner with one of them next week. And last night I went dancing at the place Judy mentioned. I had a great time! It's been decades since I went dancing. I'd forgotten how much I liked it. I met two very nice men who kind of took me under their wing, introduced me to people, and re-taught me how to dance. I'd definitely like to go to next month's dance since now I won't feel like a complete stranger. Thanks, Judy!

I'm not saying this break-up has been easy, but the future doesn't seem as bleak any more.

OH GREAT! I was wondering if you went and how you liked it!
You are doing great! I'm sure that the men really enjoyed you there....in your new very slim body!