Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 04:13
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%
Default New Low Carb TV Dinners

Hey folks,

For the first time ever I saw that they have some new low carb TV dinners at my supermarket.

https://www.healthychoice.com/simpl...roccoli-alfredo

https://www.healthychoice.com/simpl...esto-vegetables

They are still adding some sugar and starch, but the amounts do not seem that excessive. They've basically replaced the rice with more veggies. You can tell the food scientists and nutritionists worked on these because they've actually tried to balance the sodium and potassium levels to the recommended ratios (also a first!).

Net carbs are 4-6g per package, which isn't terrible.

Unfortunately I think they are also trying to do low fat at the same time as low carb, so that they can check all the "healthy" boxes in the marketing department. But there's no reason you can't just add some (artery clogging butter to it to make it better.

At least they seem to be trying now.

Last edited by BillyHW : Fri, Jun-01-18 at 04:19.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 10:45

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hey Billy,

I normally cook from scratch, but it would be useful to have a couple of these in the freezer for a quick meal. I haven't and probably won't replace my microwave since it died. Do you know if these are microwave only or is the package oven ready?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 11:15

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The first one with 4g looks good and is equal to one of the Atkins frozen meals.
I don't see the nutritional info on the second one and it does have pasta and green peas so I would bet it's higher than 4-6g carbs.

Good to know that they're coming around from their 24g of sugar in their usual low-fat selections.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 12:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
The first one with 4g looks good and is equal to one of the Atkins frozen meals.
I don't see the nutritional info on the second one and it does have pasta and green peas so I would bet it's higher than 4-6g carbs.

Good to know that they're coming around from their 24g of sugar in their usual low-fat selections.

That's pesto, not pasta. Here is the nutrition label. Seems to have 6 net carbs.

http://smartlabel.healthychoice.com...97457/nutrition

Sadly we don't get Atkins frozen meals in Canada.

I also wish they put more fat in these, and they weren't just protein, but I'm just going to add some butter to it.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 12:17
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Hey Billy,

I normally cook from scratch, but it would be useful to have a couple of these in the freezer for a quick meal. I haven't and probably won't replace my microwave since it died. Do you know if these are microwave only or is the package oven ready?

If I remember correctly from when I tried them last week, the tray it comes in seems to be plastic, so I don't think they are conventional-oven friendly. I will get a couple for lunch today and see what the package says and let you know for sure later.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 14:38

BF:

Funny how they didn't label them "Low-carb"
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Funny how they didn't label them "Low-carb"

I think in Canada at least it's illegal to label anything low-carb.

You can label it low-fat, cholesterol-free, low saturated fat, all-natural, organic, vegan, halal etc...you can label it with whatever you want *except* low carb. Because reasons.

The one thing the government won't tolerate is healthy dietary truth.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/la...0/1409845010355
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-18, 16:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW

You can label it low-fat, cholesterol-free, low saturated fat, all-natural, organic, vegan, halal etc...you can label it with whatever you want *except* low carb. Because reasons.

What? Are you serious?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 05:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyHW

Makes sense to me as "carbohydrate" is a non-essential nutrient. Why label it and make outlandish meaningless claims?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-02-18, 14:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
Hey Billy,

Okay, so the trays are plastic and there are only microwave instructions on the box. So they seem so be microwave only.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-18, 11:02

Plan: Atkins Concept
Stats: 225/190/175 Male 70.5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Makes sense to me as "carbohydrate" is a non-essential nutrient. Why label it and make outlandish meaningless claims?

In a world of dieting that is completely focused on carbs, I'm curious how listing something as low carb is outlandish and meaningless. Net carb count is everything in Atkins, whether one considers carbs a non-essential nutrient or not, people are looking for the information.

I will patronize any business that caters to my low carb life. Make it easy for me to know the carbs in your food, and if it is low carb I'm likely to buy it.

So, on a web site focused on low carb, I cant understand why such data or labeling would be considered outlandish and meaningless. Non-essential or not, focusing on "low carb foods" has been successful weight loss for me.

Canada is weird with advertising. So are some other countries. I dated a British girl many moons ago and she could not believe ads in the U.S. were allowed to name their competition...like Advil saying "compared to Tylenol". Apparently, at least at the time, naming other products and comparing them to what you are advertising was a no-no.

The AMA is myopically focused on cholesterol and fatty foods, antithetical to Atkins low carbing except for some reason, so many people's blood numbers seem to improve eating low carb and high fat. My guess is they are more tied in to the pharmaceutical industry and push folks to being on poison statins...my opinion, but anything thats strips your natural CoQ10 and in my case, actually hurts, cant be good for you.

My opinion only, I know you delve in to deep technical studies, etc., so you are more versed in the details.