Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-13, 12:14

Plan: Atkins, VLC
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Glad I found this forum group, wondering about something

I'm really not sure how to word this question. But since this is the body image board I'm sure many will be able to relate. I have a friend who broke up with her fiance and lost about 15 lbs because of depression and not eating. She was thin to begin with, and now looks like a runway model (despite the circumstances it happened under, shes super happy now and I think secretly loves that it made her so thin) I think its safe to say that most women would love to look like that, but why is it so stigmatized to look so thin? Is it because she may look unhealthy? What if she had a little muscle to go with her low body fat percentage? I guess my question is, why is it okay for a woman to go to the gym and say, I want to be 17% body fat, and if she achieves that, do we say OMG she looks so thin. She has no fat on her. No, we say oh she goes to the gym, its okay for her to be that thin. She works out. Why does there have to be a "healthy" weight, and who the hell decided what "underweight" is? I technically have a "healthy" weight according to BMI charts (which are TOTAL BS by the way) I am 5' 5 1/2'' and weigh 140 on a good day. I would love to be 120 because even though I'm technically not obese or overweight, I feel like a fat cow because I have about zero muscle mass. So all my weight is seriously fat. So, who's to say that if I want to get to 115 because that's where I feel my best, why is that demonized? Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place, but I just feel like if you get on one of these forums and say your height and weight and it seems "normal" people are like, well thats why you're not losing weight. You don't have more weight to lose. Umm, yes. I do have more to lose. Thanks for your medical assessment. lol once again, sorry if my question is very vague, I'm just wondering why its such a social crime to want to look so thin.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-13, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

At 5'5-1/2" do you think you'll look muscular at 115 lbs - that you'll have more muscle mass? It may be difficult to achieve. There are lots of posts about ppl who "look" leaner on this diet at higher weights because of its muscle-sparing ability. If you work to build muscle its possible that you could hit 125 or 130 lbs but LOOK like you're 115 lbs because of how toned and lean you are.

I definitely agree that the BMI charts are out to lunch....I've lost 46 lbs and my BMI still falls in the Obese category. I have 28 more lbs to lose, and even then I will be categorized as "overweight" for my height. I think if YOU feel healthy, happy and strong at 115 lbs, then go there. Who cares what some stranger on a forum thinks. BUT....this stranger thinks it will be difficult for you to be muscular AND 115 lbs. I started yoga and strength training in January, and have only lost 5 lbs since then...BUT, I've lost 14 inches in total (between my arms, legs, hips, waist - but I can't seem to lose a damn centimeter in my too-big boobs) since then. That tells me that I'm gaining muscle, since more than a FOOT of size has come off of me....which would usually correlate to more pounds too. All I'm saying - muscle weighs more than fat. If you plan to tone up it may be hard for you to gain muscle and still get to 115 - but you'll probably look 115 anyways....and who cares what's socially acceptable? You can't please everyone. One person will say you're too thin, the next will say you're not toned enough....just please you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-13, 13:41

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilly921
Sorry if my thoughts are all over the place, but I just feel like if you get on one of these forums and say your height and weight and it seems "normal" people are like, well thats why you're not losing weight. You don't have more weight to lose. Umm, yes. I do have more to lose.
Oh I think there's a bunch of problems all rolled up there, no wonder your thoughts are all over the place. I knew an athlete in my fitness school class who was 5'2" and very fit and nice looking at 115. It's all about your build, and if you have a smaller build right now and are overfat, why the heck should you not shoot for 120? I think you have your own knowing of what is right and healthy and the problem is the messages you get, or that you feel unheard?

so here's what I would do for the bad things that you mentioned.
Caution this is just me and I'm old and mean.

For people who say that 140 is fine because BMI says so: "oh do you think so?".

For people who say "skeletor" looks good: "oh do you think so?".

For people who starve and like how that looks: "oh do you think so?".

For people who say what you should weigh: "oh do you think so?".

For you, hearing the kinds of people above: show them your better way.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-13, 15:41
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

When people respond and tell you that you may be at your ideal weight, they are probably not trying to judge you. It is a fact that on this WOE, most people are both smaller and heavier than they expected to be. When all anyone has is a number to look at, they go with the broad generalization.

I will assume you are a healthy person, with a healthy outlook of their body. If you think 120 is your number, go for it. Some people are "skinny" some are "athletic." Do your thing.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-13, 13:14

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

I think it depends so much on the person. If you look at a show like Chicago on broadway with all those beautiful muscular female dancers, to me that's really the ideal, but I don't think they are exactly skinny. Sure, they weigh a hell of a lot less than me, but probably not much under 120. If someone looks good skinny, great. I don't have a problem with that (except maybe jealousy, but I think not any more, at my age). There may be a tendency for people to think slim people are sick or something because so many people are overweight, and that is certainly not healthy. And it panders to the food industry that peddles so much crap.
I think it is understandable that people should worry about skinny models who make ordinary girls think they are fat. If someone is naturally slim where's the problem? So long as we remember that quite a few young girls become anorexic for reasons we don't yet fully understand and that a lot of women have a screwed up body image. In short, maybe it's better to have a pound or two too much on your frame than the contrary, but it will always depend on a lot of factors.