Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 08:04

Plan: Atkins-Phase 2 OWL
Stats: 230/172.2/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default body image

I really hate it that my perception of my body is so far off, still. I was just looking at the gallery, and I can look at someone's picture, and think to myself, we are the same size, and look and they are 40-50 lbs heavier than me in the picture. I need to condition my mind and learn to view myself correctly. I have felt so fat for months after feeling so thin for several months, it is even harder now. It doesn't help that I have gained a bit back and I can feel it and see it in places. But then I have people act shocked when I tell them I have gained 20 lbs back, they honestly don't see it... which in a way kinda makes me feel a little better, but I wish I could see what they see... *sigh*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 11:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/150/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Originally posted in Crissi's journal.............

Hmmm....self-image....now that's a topic! Like Gina said, its a mental game, indeed!!

The million dollar question is how to turn our negative and sometimes distorted views to a positive, more realistic reflection!

Over the years, I have done quite a bit of research on this topic. For many years while my two kids were young, I was a single Mom and wanted to instill and provide a positive, healthy experience and foster a positive self image and level of confidence to my daughter and son. I wanted to focus on their strengths, accomplishments and goals rather than their weaknesses, failures and negativity of who they were in comparison to others. Believe me, it wasn't easy! There's so many factors; lets face it, kids at school can be cruel and then there's the peer pressure. But some how, we managed!

Fast forward years later when my daughter now 24 thanked me for giving her the greatest gift, CONFIDENCE! (tissue time!)

I found this particular segment of an article very informative and helpful!

Specific steps to foster a positive self-image

The following are steps that you can take to begin fostering a positive image of yourself:

Take a self-image inventory
Define personal goals and objectives
Set realistic and measurable goals
Confront thinking distortions
Identify childhood labels
Stop comparing yourself to others
Develop your strengths
Learn to love yourself
Give positive affirmations
Remember that you are unique
Learn to laugh and smile
Remember how far you have come

Like I've said before; we are works in progress.....beautiful ones at that!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/125/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

I think we get used to being smaller, and when we look in the mirror, we no longer see the weight loss. I'm a size 4 now, but I can look in the mirror and think I'm too big. I also see friends who are bigger but I think that we are the same size... it's a mind thing and I don't like it one bit!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 11:48

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Many years ago when I was a lot younger and thinner than I am now, I thought I was fat. One day as I was looking in the window of an antique shop I noticed a young woman standing inside the interior of the store. I looked at her enviously, wishing I could be as slim as that and wondering what it would take to achieve it. As I turned away, I noticed the woman turned away at the same instant. I looked back and she looked back. That was when I realised I was looking at myself, an optical illusion created by my own reflection in a mirror in the shop window reflecting onto another mirror inside the store. The sad part about this story is that the moment I realised the woman was actually me, I no longer thought "she" was slim and enviable. Yeah, it's a mind game all right.

Last edited by Whofan : Tue, Dec-13-11 at 12:11.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 15:07

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

You know I have body image issues too. I think some of mine might actually be because I'm surrounded by very physically fit people in my free time. I spend a lot of time at the gym or with my running group. My best friend is a local semi-competitive lifetime runner.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-11, 19:54

Plan: Atkins-Phase 2 OWL
Stats: 230/172.2/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 64%

yep, I hear ya Tara... definitely my worst problem by far as well.. comparing myself to others