Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 11:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/163/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default question for veteran Schwartzbein eaters

I just finished reading the Principle- it appears that the diet (way of eating) is not exactly low carb... but is more carb-conscious. It appears to also be a very balanced way of eating and I like the fact that it takes into consideration all aspects of health, including diet, exercise, lifestyle choices.

This way of eating seems quite sustainable, healthy and sensible, especially since I am looking to improve my health, not just my waist measurement.

My questions is, for those of you who have been at this for some time, what have your experiences been? I would expect that health and energy would improve, but maybe not weight loss...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 12:18
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Denise,

You're exactly right - TSP is a very balanced program that takes just about everything into account (even stress management). It actually goes beyond WOE to WOL (Way of Living).

It is difficult to get testimonials for TSP, though. That's largely due to the fact that it's not an "instant fix" weight loss type of program. We Americans want everything, and we want it instantly. So if we don't see pounds melting away by Day Three, we tend to get discouraged and move on to something else. TSP is a longer-range program, and the weight loss occurs typically one, two or even three years out.

So one of two things usually happens.

One, a person trying the program quits after 6 or 8 weeks, because they aren't seeing weight loss (in fact, people who really need TSP actually gain some weight!). Or Two, TSP begins working for them, and they no longer need the support of this group, so they quietly drift away.

The net result is that you don't find many people frequenting this group (sometimes I wonder why I'm still here ), and testimonials are pretty hard to come by. But read all of the posts in all of the threads, and you will definitely read of people getting positive results.

So I encourage you to give TSP a real try. A minimum of 6 months. I think you're looking at it correctly, as a WOE/WOL that will make you healthier and feel better. At some undetermined point, your weight will correct to fit your new metabolism.

Hang in there, and give it your best shot.

Blessings,

-Don
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-13-07, 18:19

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Hi, I usually just post in my journal for my own outlet and generally don't bother anyone on this forum anymore. It got to be too time consuming keeping up with all the journals and lives, if you know what I mean. But I do read here once in a while. If you would like some info on long term success on SP, you can read my journal. It's quite detailed, and started it in I think Feb 2002. You will see posts by folks who had been on SP for longterm and can read their old journals from there!

Although I don't subscribe to the exact SP program, I do eat whole foods and I don't count anything--including carbs and calories. It's a lifestyle change as the above poster mentioned. Permanent change is a result of small changes over a long period of time, custom fitting them to YOUR needs. In other words, you get to know what you can and cannot eat and won't need to measure.

The key is this--whole foods (of every category) PLUS activity equal success! And not eating for an army at every meal. Portion control is important, but the good news is that portions control is MUCH easier when you adapt to eating whole foods and no crap foods (processed, fried, sugary)--because you are satisfied with smaller portions when your body is being fed properly!!!

One thing I definitely follow from her book is the no caffeine thing. I tried to have it in moderation, but it messed with my body and really just avoid it completely in beverages. I do still eat a lot of dark chocolate, which has caffeine.

I also do not as a rule consume artificial sweeteners, although I did use a lot of stevia at one point. I have suspicions that the stevia was causing me to have some heart palpitations, so I stopped using it and they went away eventually. I will have Splenda now and then, but generally just eat the real thing (sugar/honey) when it is warranted.

Basically, whole foods in equal portions and plenty of ACTIVITY. The movement is key. Not crazy sweaty huffy puffy stuff for hours on end, but a very brisk walk EVERYDAY, preferrably slightly uphill at times (treadmill works great!), and some strength training a few times a week PLUS an ACTIVE LIFESTYLE on a daily basis.

This means I park the auto far away and walk. I take the stairs. I don't ask others to do things for me, I do them myself. I clean the car. I clean the house often. I have learned to make movement a desired part of my day and feel awful without it.

Hope this helps. It's pretty much the old fashioned way of life your great granny would endorse: Whole foods, exercise, modest portions. Decrease intake as you lose, etc. Wish you the best!

Oh and I don't drink gallons of water every day. I drink one to one and half 25 ounce bottles of water a day, mostly during my workout. And then I have 2-3 cups of herbal or decaf tea. That's it! And I don't pee all the time, I pee normally. I have found the drinking tons of water thing is a myth and my doctor even agreed. I am not a slave to a diet. I LIVE!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-15-07, 22:16

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I started dropping weight after about a year and a half on Schwarzbein. I cut out gluten and that started my weight loss. Now I'm losing about one pound every week and a half.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 21:31

Plan: Schwarzbein II
Stats: 139/138/125 Female 60.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

My experience has been similar to the others' in that I didn't lose a ton of weight, but the program has helped me to feel like a human again -- getting tired at night, sleeping well, feeling refreshed in the morning, feeling good after moderate exercise, not climbing the walls for my next meal or snack, being generally more upbeat and not so irritable anymore.

I was initially attracted to the fact that Schwarzbein advocates only real, whole foods. No chemically-manufactured fake foods, just real, unprocessed, whole foods. I was eating those foods anyway, because "eating clean" can only be good for us, right? Her plan seemed the most sensible to me because it focused on what I knew to be healthy to begin with. It was just the proportions of those foods I needed to address.