Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 15:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/190/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default ADD and needs medication

I have been following Schwarzbein -- sort of. I think my brain functioning and especially my depression have really improved.

Here's my problem: I am seriously ADD. I need medication to function on my job but that means something like Ritalin or Adderall because the other meds -- like Strattera -- did not work for me.

How can I protect myself from the necessary stimulant medication and its effects? Supplements? Certain foods?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-07-04, 17:10
Registered Member

Stats: 183/165/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 34%

Have you tried using more natural stimulants? Like caffiene?
No carbs.... and everyone drinks it so no stigma, or how about diet red bull or the other "high energy" drinks?

A teacher suggested this for my son to help him focus. He now has a cup o'joe every morning.... good thing I like coffee..
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-08-04, 11:17

Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Hi CarrotTop,

I have the same question and I take Adderall. When I try to cut it out two things happen: my energy goes away and what is left flies off into a thousand directions. Maybe the exhaustion is even caused by my inability to focus on one thing or two at a time.

Schwarzbein does say to be very careful withdrawing from stimulants if you're adrenal exhausted. She also says that her advice to taper off toxic substances does not extend to medications.

I'm seeing my psych doc tomorrow and I plan to ask him what the Adderall is doing to my adrenals in the long run.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-02-06, 14:55
Registered Member

Stats: 320/205/170 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 77%

Wow what was the result??
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 10:46

Plan: 90% classic Schwarzbein
Stats: 342/257/165 Female 5'7"
BF:>55%/51%/<30%
Progress: 48%

This is an old thread, but just in case someone else (like me!) has similar issues, I thought I'd throw in a reply anyway.

I have significant problems with ADD as well. When I began truly struggling to do my job, my doctor (with a psychiatrist) put me on Strattera and Ritalin. That did the trick, but I was unhappy. I like the fast-firing, sparkly-attracted, scatterbrained, passionate me! So, I changed my lifestyle to accommodate my ADD rather than trying to fit my ADD into my lifestyle. It's still hard sometimes, though.

Ever since reading that high fat diets can calm epilepsy in children, I've wondered whether a low-carb diet might help with ADD. I thought I saw a difference when I tried low-carb years ago. This week (after two weeks on Schwarzbein), I noticed a clear difference. Organization isn't a struggle. My procrastination is gone. I think my memory is less patchy. I'm also more calm and more energetic at the same time, if you know what I mean: it's a good, productive energy rather than that restless fluttery energy interspersed with exhaustion that I used to have.

I still drink coffee and one Coke Zero daily -- my adrenals are pretty burnt -- and this may be a temporary condition. For now, I'm pleased with the change and I'm hoping it will continue and allow me to eventually taper off of caffeine. I feel balanced this week, not sedated, and that's pretty darn awesome.