Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-29-05, 19:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Trying something new: PSMF

PSMF, protein-sparing, modified fast. It's a low-carb, low-fat, low-calorie diet. The idea being you eat lots of protein and periodically refuel your depleted glycogen stores to lose fat rapidly with a minimum of lean body mass.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/

It's pretty spartan and will be much more difficult to follow than Atkins, but after being stalled the better part of a year, I'm ready to shake things lose.

I start tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 07:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Good luck! I don't think I could hold out on that.

I think I might buy Lyle McDonald's UD 2.0. Do you have it, perchance?

I registered at that forum a few weeks ago, and though it's "rated R" and not for the easily-offended, I LMFAO every time I'm there.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 08:25
Experimenter

BF:

I don't have any of his other books, unfortunately. I have heard good things about most of them however.

My first day went well. I had about 1000 calories, which is more than I should have, but I'm going to take it easy until ketosis kicks in, then the hunger shouldn't be a problem.

The higher protein is very filling. Eating so low fat is pretty depressing though, especially after being on Atkins. Man, I had forgotten how nasty non-fat salad dressing is.

Yesterday I had:

Breakfast: 3 oz cooked shrimp and a dab of low carb cocktail sauce.

Lunch: Large spinach salad, more shrimp, asparagus and artichoke hearts on top... nasty fat-free salad dressing.

Snack: More shrimp, beef jerky, a piece of low fat ham with some fat free cream cheese and onion inside.

Dinner: Chicken breast with veggies and herbs inside.

Dessert: Fat-free, low-carb yogurt with Da Vinci syrup.

I wasn't hungry at all, but that might be because of the binge I had had the day before... oy.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 22:02
Experimenter

BF:

Down 3.5 pounds from my weight same time yesterday. Yay! Still not into Virgin Territory, that's a ways off yet.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-01-05, 07:59
Experimenter

BF:

Horray! Morning of day 3, down 4.5 pounds. Ah, the first week of any new diet is always grand.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 09:09
Experimenter

BF:

I think I lost another .5 pound, my eyes were pretty blurry this morning.

Yesterday afternoon/evening I had some pretty bad hunger that even several large helpings of brussel sprouts and some chicken didn't solve. Eventually a whey/milk/frozen raspberry smoothie got it under control. Phew!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 09:34

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 185/184/150 Female 5ft4in
BF:
Progress: 3%

HI Nancy..I too am hypothyroid, and Nat recommended that this WASN"T a good diet for hypos, due to extreme nature and very low carbs...was wondering why you're doing it (besides breaking a stall....) if it's usually advised against it? How long are you planning on doing this, btw? Just wondering out loud, as I'd like to consider something as well, to get my weight loss started. I like your results so far!! That seems promising to me!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 09:37

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Holly, Nat said it wasn't good if your levels were not optimized - which yours aren't. It's also hard on the adrenals, something to be careful with in your particular case.

Doesn't mean you can never try it - just that it's not the greatest idea right now.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 09:40

BF:

oops...got caught!!! Thanks! So, what IS the definition of knowing when your levels are optimized? Is it a combo of lab numbers AND the way you are feeling??
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 09:42

BF:

Labs shlabs. It's how you feel. If it weren't then a lot of the people who feel good would be labled hyper.

Caught shmaught!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 11:49
Experimenter

BF:

I think I'm probably pretty close to being optomized on Thyroid and with the other hormones Dr. Rouzier has me on, Testosterone and DHEA, I should be in good stead to get some weight off me!

I just started on some isocort too. Hoping that'll help me with my joints and muscle pain. Maybe I just need to give that some time with the optomized hormones.

As far as how long... hmmm... dunno. I'd like to lose 30 more pounds. That would get me to 150 which is at the top of the BMI range, but I am tall but very small boned. So it might not be perfect, but its a goal!

I'll definitely be taking part in the breaks and free meals and probably refeeds if I can figure out how to do them without becoming a total oinker. I'm not really lifting because of my issues with muscles and joints, so maybe that should disqualify me from a refeed since I'm not doing anything constructive with all that glycogen/glucose.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 11:53

BF:

thanks Nancy..just got the "NO" from my dr. re: isocort....she wants me to stay on ARmour for about 4-5 weeks, will then check my cortisol, etc..and THEN I may know where I stand...Until then, I think I"ll stick w/SBD.

good luck..I'll be checking in on you to see your progress and learn from ya!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 12:25

BF:

Nancy, the purpose the refeed on this diet is not chiefly to replentish glycogen. It is to help restore leptin levels. The cheats are for psychological comfort and the refeeds are to keep the diet working. You may not need them as often when you're fatter, but you will need them.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 13:10
Experimenter

BF:

Ok. That's good to know. I gotta go back and reread about that.

I keep thinking of loaves of really good bread from a certain bakery... *drool*
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 08:51
Experimenter

BF:

6 pounds gone in less than a week. Horray! Tonight is a "free meal" and I'll probably make it a refeed at the same time by including lots of carbs, so that'll probably kill any loss for the next couple of days.