Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 06:38

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 158.5/158.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Day 16 and Counting

Hello everyone. I have returned to the low carb diet world after finding that I was a lot healthier and happier with the low carb lifestlye. I have been on induction for 16 days and have lost 7 pounds. (I have 35 pounds to go). I have been measuring my ketones with keto sticks and have range consistently between small and moderate. Over the last 3 days I have not lost, in fact gained almost a pound! I am tracking and very disciplined. Please help, not sure what is happening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 07:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151.7/135.0/125 Female 5'1 inch
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi 4debbs,
Don't get discouraged. If you are a daily weigher, I recommend that you average it out for the week. That's what I do, and there I can see that I am actually losing a pound a week. Also, I was stalled for 2 weeks and then suddenly dropped 2 lbs. If not, then look at what item in your diet may be holding you up; sweeteners, alcohol or nuts. I quit the Adkins bars and I feel it helped me. I still do a shake each day but I'm not ready to give that up yet, it's convenient for me. Good luck!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 08:01

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Losing 7 pounds in two weeks at your body weight makes a plateau or brief weight gain very likely, this happens all the time. The body gets ahead of itself with waterloss, the gain probably isn't fat, it's a little water rebound. Fluctuations are normal, you need a longer timeline to really see the trend. I do find I can minimize the fluctuations--by pretty much eating the same foods every day, with the same amount of salt, at the same time of day. It gets a little tiresome, I can't really tell whether it improves weight loss or not, but it does seem to make it easier to see. A friend posted this graph in my journal a while back;

I ate pretty much the same amount of fat, protein and carbohydrate up until February 14, that day I made some savoury ribs--so no increase in carbs--and ate more protein than usual, I'm not sure how much. Certainly not enough to gain four pounds of fat. After that, because I guess I was dissatisfied with really predictable weight loss, and I'm a dork I started doing one 24 hour fast a week--and the waters stay choppy from there. A few days after this graph, I started skipping the weekly fast (until Wednesday, because, again, I'm a dork), went back to eating more or less the same amount of fat, carbs and protein every day, and the fluctuations went back to a bare minimum. My bet would be, that trading protein for fat, calorie for calorie, my fat loss probably wouldn't slow down or reverse--but that switching protein up and down day to day would result in greater fluctuations in my water weight than a steady diet would.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 08:22

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 158.5/158.5/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Lol. To Teaser, I just charted my weight loss chart in my plan and it looks a lot like the one you posted. Feeling better.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 08:23

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

What is happening is probably pretty normal. As teaser pointed out in his graph, the same thing can happen at the macro view. Take a look at my chart and few month long "plateau"...

You mentioned right off...
Quote:
I have returned to the low carb diet world after finding that I was a lot healthier and happier with the low carb lifestlye.

so maybe the only thing you might be doing "wrong" is placing your focus and expectations on the scale rather than "healthier and happier". You are already there so it's a good time to practice maintenance of those aspects

You will do well.

my .02 cents
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 14:08

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

We're in much of the same place weight and goal wise. I restarted a very strict Atkins program (staying pretty much on induction eating) on Feb. 13, so I'm now in Week 6, day 40. I make sure I weigh myself every morning no matter what, I never let myself off the hook for that. Every single thing I eat in a day, I want to see how it affects my weight the next day.

I've incorporated some 24 hour fasts here and there, probably at least once or twice a week (not sure that helps or not, to be frank about it). My pattern is typically to lose a few lbs right off the bat (obviously water), and then I settle into a pattern of lose some, go back up a bit, hang there, finally lose some more. There doesn't seem to be a darn thing I can do to change this pattern. I once read that as fat cells lose their fat, the body tries to equalize everything by filling those empty fat cells with "placeholder" water, then after a bit the body will release that water as no longer needed and that is when you get your perceived scale weight drop. It's all a process that is slower than any of us want. HOWEVER....understanding that it's not ever going to be quick (especially if you are within maybe 20 lbs of your goal) and that the only way to reaching your goal is a lot of patience and consistency, this is the key to putting your mind in the right place and staying the course.

So my own goal was to drop 20 lbs in 13 weeks before a Hawaii trip in May. That seemed reasonable and do-able. So far so good...as of today (Week 6, day 40) I'm down 11 pounds, and that averages out to about 1.8 lbs per week, so honestly, I can't complain about that. I hope I can at least keep up this same pace over the next 7 weeks.

By the way....I use keto stix for fun, and for MOST of this last 6 weeks I've gotten somewhat dark readings pretty consistently, although never dark beyond the moderate level. So while the keto stix probably aren't all that informative, they do show some sort of consistency of fat burning as far as I understand the process. Keto stix, scales and the tape measure are all tools to measure progress, that's all. My clothes are fitting better and better, so that's what counts.

I'm putting a little graph of my progress so you can see how up and down it is, despite real consistency of diet. The light gray line is the trend, the darker line is my scale weight. Will I make my goal of 20 lbs in 13 weeks? I can't be sure yet, but what I can do is stay consistent with what I've been doing thus far.

One more thing...if you click on my journal for today's entry, you can see the whole list of weights and what my weight has done, up and down, for every one of the last 40 days.
Attached Images
File Type: png Graph.png (16.5 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by CMCM : Fri, Mar-24-17 at 14:18.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 14:13

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Teaser or Thud....How did you get your graphs to open up and show in your post? I can't figure it out...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 14:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

use the IMG tag to open and close a link to an image like

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2017misc/Avocadonnaise.jpg

#9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-17, 18:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 151.7/135.0/125 Female 5'1 inch