Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 16:06

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default starting Synthroid today

Just wondering if any of you lost weight on it? Also, after starting the medication, how long does it take to reverse some of the symptoms (hair loss, fatigue, joint pain, low libido?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I take synthroid and armour thyroid. My symptoms didn't disappear until I had my T3 and T4 levels at the right place for me. They usually start you on small doses and increase. With me, my thyroid levels kept dropping for 2 years so I had to keep increasing the dosage. Most of the symptoms like fatigue, joint pain went away quickly. It took 2 years before my hair started growing back and my nails got long around the same time. I think my body had more important things to take care of first. I still tend to gain weight a lot faster then I lose it. But at least I can lose weight now.

Good luck with everything! I was forced to learn patience with the medical process, don't be surprised if there are a few backward steps along the way.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 20:21

BF:

Thanks for that. I was reading about selenium supplementation and was wondering if it was a good idea to add that.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-09-09, 23:20

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

Hopefully you'll get good results. Unfortunately, I didn't. Initially, my fatigue got better quickly, but in no time I was feeling rough again, and some of my symptoms like hair loss and joint pain got worse. I am slowly reducing my thyroid meds now.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-09, 07:39
Registered Member

I think the lack of thyroid hormone is the #1 cause of our symptoms and replenishing the hormone is the #1 solution to our problems. IMO all other thyroid solutions are minimal compared to replacing the hormone that we need to live.

How are you feeling these day?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 00:16

BF:

(sorry - this is kinda bloggity)

I am not feeling great, but think I have noticed a slight increase in my energy level. The mental part, knowing this is an autoimmune disorder that I will battle forever is most difficult for me at the moment. My menstruation is so heavy today and came 10 days early so I am dealing with that crap also.

I am worried what they will want to do about the lump on my thyroid. My brother got his biopsied twice which has inconclusive results and caused more swelling in his neck. I also am getting angry at my endocrinologist (who is also a friend of ours) because he totally dismisses my extra 13 pounds, telling me it really is a "non-issue." My libido has been greatly diminished for a while now and I am hoping that will return as I wasn't ready to be "retired" so early! The extra pounds haven't helped that at all. I feel disfigured - which is a little extreme - but this weight came on my butt and thighs and I just friggin hate it! As a resident of the outer banks of NC, we practically live in bathing suits and are out on the ocean almost daily and now I hate the thought of even putting one on.

I realize now that I have probably had this going on for two years, and though it was sub-clinical, I instinctively knew something was going on (more than just aging.) One of the first symptoms I had was a change in my menstrual cycle (skipping periods) and now I have very heavy periods that last at least 11 days.

Also, I have increased anxiety but I don't know if it's the medication or if it's just me? Since my TSH was normal, I am hoping that means this was caught "relatively" early. I am thinking of scheduling an appt. with my endo's partner (he is going to Hawaii next month, and this would be a good way to do this without him knowing.) I know this sounds weird but I have heard his partner (who is a woman) is more sensitive to weight issues and is not against Atkin's. My endo is not against low carbing in a general sense, but he isn't exactly pro Atkin's either, so I wanted a different opinion and some support on this. He gets irritated now when I bring up the weight issue too. I KNOW it's about health as much as anything else - I am not dumb - but I am a woman so this is something he does not understand. (LOL - plus - I have noticed the last few women he has dated have been bottom heavy and I am fighting this tooth and nail!)

If I can't get it off, I will consider plastic surgery. I think I would need an inner thigh lift too, which scares the hell out of me for sure, but I cannot just "accept it" as people have suggested.

I am usually not this depressed and I am hoping I can feel more encouraged soon. Sorry for being such a whiney baby!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 08:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow... I can't believe you're considering surgery for a 13 pound weight gain.

IMHO you sound like you're body dysmorphic. Yes, it's real to you but you're viewing your own body through a distorted lens.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-09, 18:05

BF:

Nancy - the lumpy thighs gotta go. They rub together and I feel so self conscious. I have a new collection of Bermuda shorts and I don't want to be resigned to this forever! Yes - it isn't much and I am not saying that it is - weight wise. But it is a cosmetic issue though that I don't really want to live with forever. I'd probably be the right candidate for this type of surgery though I am not sure I want to go through the suffering involved. If it was just lipo, I would have already done it. The skin in that area isn't tight anyway. I saw some pictures of a lady that got the inner thigh area done (like I need) and her skin in that area looked like California raisins! Yuck! So, without a lift procedure for that area, the fat actually looks better. I guess I should be glad that I am losing it so painfully slow - for that reason alone.

I really burnt my endo's butt when he kept saying it's a "non issue." I said "Greg, didn't you go to Bosley or some other hair club and do something about your receding hairline? Why did you feel the need to do that? I find bald men attractive!" I think he may have gotten it then.

I am losing a little finally........knock on wood........but he told me it is mostly water. I have been really puffy for so long so I am relieved that SOMETHING is FINALLY happening. SOMETHING is finally changing!!!! WOO HOOO!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 10:20
Registered Member

The increased energy is a really good sign. Some of the period and libido stuff could be pre-menopausal. I'm the same age as you and just started having some changes. That kind of complicates your other issues. It will all be better when you get thyroid levels normal.

Your dr probably isn't going to fret about your few pounds overweight compared to the more serious issues endos deal with like blindness, amputations and heart disease. Maybe a different type of dr would be of more help with the wt stuff. You're really lucky, I haven't seen a beach in 4 years, living in a swimsuit sounds wonderful!

It is a life long issue but once you get the right replacement levels of thyroid hormones, you just take your pills and put it out of your mind and get back to worrying about your thighs.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-09, 14:43

BF:

Definite increase in energy and mood seems to be improving today. Worked out for an hour and a half in my pool and I am not that tired. In fact, I think I am going out for a night on the town!

I haven't been so worried about everything today, and that's why I think my mood is improving. I have always been a very hyper person and I think can feel some of that energy beginning to return.

I have always been a night owl, and last night, I think I only slept about 5 hours. I hope the synthroid doesn't keep me awake. I have never been able to sleep anyway!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-20-09, 18:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/iodine.html

I am going to try it and I read synthroid is not that good so I am going to try armour and get more iodine.

I am Barb and I been feeling like crap even on meds and I am fat as a house and hard to lose but sure can gain like crazy.

I am down some so I will keep trying.

Barb