Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 11:07

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 310/230/200
BF:
Progress: 73%
Angry Bad Back

I have had a bad back for at least seven years now. Its been ok for last three weeks but yesterday I was walking around the mall and it started acting up I know its because of my weight and I want to try some excercises that will strengthen it. I was told that strong ab muscles equal stronger back (is that true). I want to attempt an exercise by where you lie on your back and raise your feet in the air and peddle like your riding a bike. I read in an article in my newspaper that there was a study done showing that this is the best exercise for abs even better than crunches. My question is how can I strengthen my back and is this the right exercise? I walk everyday and swim four times a week. I get plenty of exercise, but my back does not seem to be getting the benefits. I don't have any work out equipment and don't go to a gym. If anyone has any comments or suggestions I would really appreciate them. Thank You

Steven

310/284/180
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 04:11

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default yes

Strong abdominals does help with your lower back. This is because if you have any excess weight in your midsection, and you have weak abdominals that don't support the weight, it will pull on your lower back.

The best thing to do is strengthen both muscle groups.

Since you do not have gym access, the best way to strengthen you lower back is an exercise called a Straight-leg deadlift. Normally this is done while holding a barbell, but you can use a broom, or other stick-like device to hold instead of a barbell.

To perform a SDL , you stand straight up .... shoulders back (so you look like you are sticking out your chest). Now, slowly bend from the waist until the bar is about knee level. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KEEP YOUR BACK FROM ROUNDING -- if you keep your shoulders pulled back, it will not round. When you are at knee level, slowly come back up to the start position and do it again!

For abs, the exercise you mentioned is great. I call them "bicycle crunches" and yes, they are effective. Give them a shot!

When the SDLs with no weight get easy, try adding weight. Use ANY form of weight you can. Gallon of milk, growing child, favorite small pet, WHATEVER. Just be sure it takes about 3 seconds to go down, and three seconds to come back up.

Let me see if I can get a link to a picture of this exercise ....
OK, no direct link, but go to www.strengthcoach.com. Once you get in, click to GO TO VIRTUAL WEIGHT ROOM. Then, choose LOW BACK. Next, choose Stiff-leg Deadlifts. When the stick figure appears, click ACTIVATE.

While you are there, check out REVERSE HYPERS for low back.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 07:56

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 310/230/200
BF:
Progress: 73%
Smile Thanks Trainerdan

Thank You so much Trainerdan. I'm going to give it a try. I'll keep you up to date.

Thanks Again!!!