Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-14, 20:44
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I made 2 gallons of vegetable beef soup today. This batch had 12 vegetables. I added diced turnip this time around and it worked really well. My daughter thought it was potato.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-14, 20:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That sounds amazing Ken!! I just love a big pot of beef and veggies like that. Can you send a bowel over my way?
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-14, 13:55

Plan: LC
Stats: 303.8/273.6/145.0 Female 5' 5.5"
BF:50.1%/48.1%/24.1%
Progress: 19%

Glad to see this thread is still happening. I appreciate the posts, info and ideas!
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 11:41

BF:

So glad you like this thread Ivegotthis.
I just love this WOE and feel so healthy eating all of the nutritious vegetables every day. I love shopping for them and cooking them and I love finding new recipes and methods of cooking them...
I would feel so deprived and punished on a diet that is void of these valuable foods and anything less, to me, is only a quick fix and that is not a way to live long term.
The fiber and nutrients in veggies can be found nowhere else on Earth and a vitamin pill just doesn't fix that deficiency.

On that note I had the best most tender Asparagus with my Pork Chop last night.
I also marinated a sliced cucumber with oil and vinager, dill weed, celery seed and a little of stevia in the dressing mix, garlic salt and pepper. I just love that combination with a good cut of fatty meat. It's like ying and yang and helps cut right through the fat and rounds out the whole meal for me.
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 12:21
Say NO to Diabetes!

About my vegetable beef soup... I like to spice it up a bit with Frank's hot sauce, chili powder, & cayenne pepper. I thought I'd overdone it the other day on my 2 gallon batch. A hot bowl of soup definitely had two kinds of hot. But all I had to do was wait a day and it mellowed out nicely. My daughter said it was the best batch yet.

I froze 6 quarts -- but the 1/2 gallon remaining is nearly gone after 2 days. I've only had 1 cup! My family can't seem to get enough. Other than my daughter at college, the rest of the family is not doing LC at the moment. But when I make good food, they do eat less junk. So I'm happy to share.
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 12:50

BF:

Franks Hot Sauce is great stuff. My college age daughter bought some a few months ago and particularly pointed out to me that the carbs were low (Its soaking in)Now we're hooked.
Other daughter (collage grad now working)came home for Thanksgiving and although I had made some boiled shrimp for appetizers I forgot to buy any cocktail sauce because of too many carbs. So she looked through the fridge and found horseradish and the franks and with a few lemons from the tree we were in heaven with that new low carb cocktail sauce creation and the shrimp.
It's good for everything and I am so glad that it's good with beef stew because I will be trying it that way son.
0 gram carbs for the Franks Original and 1g for the catsup style, we have both LOLOL
I don't like REAL hot sauces but this is just fine with a great flavor and NO carbs..Yay
How much did you put in your pot? Just wondering for the level of hot...
About kids, If you put good like that in front of them, they are going to eat it!
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 13:16
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Franks Hot Sauce is great stuff...
How much did you put in your pot? Just wondering for the level of hot.

I normally put about 1 tbsp. per gallon, just enough for a little kick. But this time the bottle was nearly empty so I added water and shook it up to clean out the bottle. I love the stuff, too - and didn't want to waste a drop. The soup was definitely hotter - so I think I ended up adding much more than usual. I like hot, so I was fine with the spiciness of the first day. My family, on the other hand, was glad that it mellowed out a day later.

I'll have to give your cocktail sauce idea a try. I love horseradish, too. It puts hair on my chest.
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 13:31

BF:

Daughter's cocktail sauce...
It is amazing how this WOE is rubbing off on them. I have them all thinking and husband is actually on board now too! 100%
Amazing, who would have thought?
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 13:48
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I love using hot sauce in my cooking too. I haven't tried Frank's yet but will soon. I use sriracha sauce, just a little to spice things up.

Meme, that's a great idea your daughter for cocktail sauce!

I generally eat 1 big salad daily. Lettuce, a few grape tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, small amount of chopped red onion, shredded red cabbage, a small slice of avocado, bacon bits and whatever protein I have in the fridge. My dressing is usually a balsamic vinaigrette. I do try to keep my protein amounts 3-4 ounces. I still use a scale to weigh it.
  #115   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-14, 13:55

BF:

What's so special about Franks is are two things.
1.Not so hot as others so I can still taste after eating it.
2. Og carbs
I have looked at that Saracha that I hear about and it has carbs. Not a whole lot but when you're splitting hairs, it's there.

Yes I am rubbing off on all of my family, it's great....

I love a big salad like you have. I love balsamic too but I still have to wait since I am still on the way down and it does have more carbs....story of my life now. But some of the most wonderful Balsamics are out there now. I could seriously drink some of them they are so good!
  #116   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 12:39

BF:

I am in Brussels Sprouts Heaven....
I just took out my 2 cast iron skillets, put bacon drippings in both and cooked halved BS with a ton of bacon in one and pork chops in the other.
I knew I needed to cook the chops since it doesn't do any good to get them for $1.99 per pound if they end up in the trash because they got too old.
I wish I had learned how to cook Brussels Sprouts like this years ago because they are amazing. I had always tried to boil them whole because I didn't know what to do with them and it was just not good, the insides stayed undercooked and bitter.
Cooking this stir-fried way they are Caramelized and sweet.
YUM YUM!! .
  #117   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 13:02
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Have you tried to roast Brussels Sprouts yet? By far, my fav!

Cut in half and roast them with the cut side up. Drizzle with oil, salt and I put a granulated garlic/parsley on too. High heat(400?) for about 15 minutes.
  #118   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-14, 13:12

BF:

I have done it in the oven and it is great that way. It almost cooks itself that way which is a definite plus in my book..
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-14, 10:34

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

https://www.facebook.com/drmarkhyma...pe=3&permPage=1

here's a funny sorry, i cant seem to get the picture to show up, but if you click the link you can see it.
  #120   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-14, 11:47

BF:

I like the remarks too. A lot of smart people reading that one.