Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 18:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
One of my faves, and so unlike the frozen-into-a-block-and-then-boiled-to-death Brussels sprouts I remember with a shudder from childhood.

Which is why I haven't touched one of them in over 50 years.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 19:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Which is why I haven't touched one of them in over 50 years.

Which is exactly why you really should try them again by roasting them. Truly one of my favs and not a veggie that I ever ate growing up.
Cut in half, cut side up, sprinkle with salt, garlic and oil and roast on high heat (400-425) for about 15 minutes.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 20:40
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I grew up eating 90% of my veggies out of a can. I'm really enjoying the switch to fresh and frozen. I love green beens sauteed in butter with a pinch of salt, pepper, and sweet basil. I love spinach soup and putting chopped spinage and onions in my scrambled eggs. I like hot and spicy -- so I go through plenty of jalapeno and other peppers. I make a vegetable beef soup where I thow in just about anything but potatoes. One batch had 20 different veggies tossed in. Yes I like my veggies!

This WOE is often characterized as being "that diet where you eat nothing but MEAT". The reality for me is that I sometimes have trouble working in enough protein -- especially when I'm eating soup as the main course.

One vegetable that I've never tried is eggplant. I don't know if it is the name or just because it looks weird -- but I've just never managed to put one in the shopping cart. Maybe if I read someone raving about an eggplant recipe -- I'll consider giving it a try.

Next spring, my plan is to plant a vegetable garden for the first time in my life. I'll probably start a new thread at that time looking for a helping hand and good ideas.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 21:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I grew up eating 90% of my veggies out of a can. I'm really enjoying the switch to fresh and frozen. I love green beens sauteed in butter with a pinch of salt, pepper, and sweet basil. I love spinach soup and putting chopped spinage and onions in my scrambled eggs. I like hot and spicy -- so I go through plenty of jalapeno and other peppers. I make a vegetable beef soup where I thow in just about anything but potatoes. One batch had 20 different veggies tossed in. Yes I like my veggies!

This WOE is often characterized as being "that diet where you eat nothing but MEAT". The reality for me is that I sometimes have trouble working in enough protein -- especially when I'm eating soup as the main course.

One vegetable that I've never tried is eggplant. I don't know if it is the name or just because it looks weird -- but I've just never managed to put one in the shopping cart. Maybe if I read someone raving about an eggplant recipe -- I'll consider giving it a try.

Next spring, my plan is to plant a vegetable garden for the first time in my life. I'll probably start a new thread at that time looking for a helping hand and good ideas.

Ken, there are a lot of good recipes with eggplant as the main ingredient, but for a complete newbie to that vegetable I would suggest grilling it. Slice the eggplant about 1/2" thick, brush all over with olive oil, and sprinkle on your herb of choice (I like my own version of Herbes de Provence). If you have fresh herbs, even better. Grill till you get nice grill marks on the veg (sorry, I never took note of the time involved), turn it over and continue till it feels soft to the tip of a sharp knife. This is an easy way to ease into the whole eggplant thing, and then you can branch out. Look into Middle Eastern recipes; they eat a lot of eggplant. If it helps think of it as "aubergine" instead of "eggplant"; adds a European flair to the veg.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 21:25

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I grew up on the California coast, kind of half way up (or down, as you prefer). Very close to the Salinas Valley, where most of the nation's winter lettuce crop grows. Also just around the corner from Castroville (artichoke heart of the nation), and Gilroy (garlic capitol - I always want to say garlic head - of America). We ate a lot of fresh veggies, because there are so many all through the year. Except corn. My mother grew up in the midwest, and apparently had an "episode" with corn in her teenage years; ate an overdose, I think. At any rate, she cooked corn for us children only a couple of times a year, and, though I like it well enough, I never developed much of an interest. I don't remember ever having canned veggies as a child; frozen, yes ... sometimes it is just easier. But we had a lot of fresh options, and my mother took advantage of that. First time I ever (knowingly) ate canned peas was in Germany; that was all German hubby had known as a child (in the post war years), and he actually preferred them to frozen. I used to serve them to him every once in awhile as a "treat"; it was only a few years ago that he finally said that he didn't need that anymore :-). We have been part of a CSA for several years, and have enjoyed the variety very much. A nice basket of seasonable veg every week from the beginning of June through the end of November - lovely. Even DH, who is a fairly conservative eater, likes the variety that we get. Our area of Oregon isn't the Salinas Valley, but we still get a pretty good selection, as the climate is fairly mild.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 23:27

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've been buying eggplant from a farmer and decided to use it in a lasagna recipe in place of the noodles and it is great that way!
Eggplant Lasagna-
I made my sauce to save carbs because most all of the pre-prepared sauces have too much added sugar.
I read every can of tomatoes and found that the crushed tomatoes had the lowest carb count but I'm sure it depends on the brand.

1.First I sautéed 1/2 onion and 1-2 cloves of chopped garlic to taste.
2.Then added two cans of tomatoes and also spiced it with an Italian herb mix, salt and pepper.
(I found Italian herb mix at the grocery store made by Rachel Ray which is excellent.)
3.Next I cooked the about 1 1/2lb. of ground beef.
4.Then mix ground beef with the tomato sauce.
5.Eggplant- I sliced it lengthwise about 1 inch thick, leaving skin on but cutting off outside edge.

Layering Lasagna
6.In a medium size casserole dish I pour enough sauce to cover the bottom of dish.
7.Then add raw eggplant slices and arranged to cover all of dish.
8.Next meat sauce.
9.Then a layer of cheese. (I used mozzarella and parmesan.)
10.Next another layer of eggplant.
11.Then more meat sauce
12.And more cheese
You get the idea. I topped it with the cheeses and bake at 350 for about 1 hour, covered with foil.
Let it rest for a few minutes when it is cooked and then cut into servings.
Sorry I don't know the carb count.

Ingredients are:
2 smaller eggplant or one large
1/2 onion
2-3 cloves garlic
Italian spices
Two cans tomatoes(mine are 14.5 oz)Lowest carb you can find
1 1/2lb ground beef.
Mozzarella cheese. I buy a block and grade it
Parmesan cheese-I just use the green can-kraft
1-2 cups cheese, Just use enough to make it good and cheesy
This is a great way to try Eggplant!
It's really easy.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 04:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Hi Kristine, Did you say pumpkin sausage soup? YUM!
Can you share that one?

Sure! Here's the original recipe I tried, but it's very flexible. Last time I made it, I used remnants of our jack-o-lantern and forgot about the mushrooms. I've also done it with Italian sausage and red bell peppers.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 11:18

BF:

Christine, Thank you so much for the pumpkin soup recipe.
I can't wait to try it! It sounds so good
Also, I just Love LindaSue's recipe website.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 11:52
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Oh veggies, my other love!

I can eat most of them in almost any form.

We grabbed a bag mix of fresh stir-fry veggies with a low carb count to make dinner the other night (stir fry of course!) so those were stir fried.

I love to roast broccoli, cauliflower, radishes(!) and the like. High heat and finish with salt, pepper, a toss in a tbsp of EVOO and a splash of lemon juice. So freaking good. Can be adapted to most hearty veggies.

I put fresh Pico De Gallo salsa in my tuna salad, and eat it with celery sticks.

I'll stop myself there. But fresh veggies beat the pants off of the canned stuff I grew up with.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 12:29

BF:

Tchice, I love roasted veggies too. One day at the store I saw these premade skewers in the produce section so a bought a couple and roasted them in the oven and they were amazingly naturally sweet. So next time I went shopping I thought that I could do the same thing for half the price, just buying the veggies and cutting them up.
I used Zucchinni squash, Red onion, mushrooms, Red pepper and cut them in1-2 inch triangles, coated with olive oil, garlic salt and pepper and oven roasted on 500 turning a couple of times and then I added some butter and chopped garlic about half way through which really added a lot of flavor. Garlic burns fast and becomes bitter so I wait to add them.

The best part about cooking the veggies like this is that while they are in the oven I am cooking my meat on the stove and voila, dinner is served in less than 15 minutes.

Judynyc You are right about oven roasting Brussels Sprouts after cutting them in half.
For years I would try to cook them whole and they were always bitter inside and not cooked well inside while the outsides were over cooked.
Also, I now love to stir frying them in my heavy cast iron skillet, also cut in half with a lot of bacon and cooked in the bacon drippings....

The other day I saw them on this huge stem covered up and down with all these little Brussels Sprouts. I had never seen that before.

Verbena, I love artichokes too!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 15:00

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Judy- i know the whole cauli recipe you mean- i have been interested in it as well.
I cook just for myself and my fella, so haven't wanted to make the entire head- hence i did the "steaks"= they turned out beautifully! and made 4 perfect servings- just right for us (dinner, plus one lunch each).

Last edited by Robin120 : Sat, Nov-15-14 at 23:00.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 22:13

BF:

I usually cook the entire Cauliflower because it just doesn't keep well very long. They tend to mold quickly even if not cut up.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 22:24
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Thanks for the eggplant ideas. I passed on it again today. But I promise I will try it. I bought some turnips today -- another veggie I've never tried. I'll have to see what I can do with them.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-14, 11:53

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

my husband made me some turnips for dinner last night, he diced them and then fried them up in a cast iron pan on the stovetop. turned out really really good! (the rest of the family was having another much carbier root veggie cooked the same way, i did not feel deprived at all!)

loving this thread!

a couple of my favourite veggie recipes:
http://www.djfoodie.com/Fried-Rice (i have to change a couple of things because of food intolerances but this is one of those recipes that has enough flexibility to withstand changing ingredients to match food tolerances and ingredients on hand)

http://wellnessmama.com/5909/roasted-cabbage-slices/ we almost always sprinkle the cabbage slices with nutritional yeast too(and i use parchment paper to line the pan). soo yumm and works with lots of different types of veggies. acorn squash is another fave to do like this but it's a bit carbier, so watch portions and daily carb limits, etc.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-14, 13:30

BF:

Walnut, I haven't used turnips much but when I have it was nice adding to a beef stew with vegetables and it takes the place of the potatoes.
I've cooked a pot roast with lots of veggies around it as it cooks down.
With oil in your pot, brown roast on all sides.
Put in sliced onion and let wilt down some.
Pour in 1-2 inch water and let stew a little, then add spices.
Add more water until about 1/2 up on roast and add all veggies.
Cover and cook on very low. Add more water later if you like a lot of natural gravy.

Usually I use: lots of celery(low-carb), some onion, garlic, carrots (either eat a couple bites or leave for others) and turnips would work in great =Replacing the potatoes I used to use.
For flavoring I always put in bay leaf, sage, thyme but count the carbs because they're higher than you would think.