Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 19:51
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Unhappy need expert advice on cardio

Before Bfl I usually did 40min cardio with 30min being at 75% max heartrate. 75% max is the highest hr I can get to without causing heart problems. I never really improved my cardio with this workout. Doing the interval of bfl got my heartrate way higher and really irritated my heart condition any though its only for a few minutes. (bad valve which causes something called exercise intolerance).

What is the next best cardio workout for fat burning, I can do lower intervals but do they do any good lower? Or should I do longer cardio. My goals are having good heart condition and fatloss.

I'll appreciate any advise.

Nancy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 19:55

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

You did not mention what you are doing for your cardiovascular workout. I would suggest swimming. All movements are resisted, you are only 1/6th your body weight than on dry land which also unloads your joints from the stress that is added when jogging, aerobics, running, etc.

Keep a variety in your workouts too. If you jog, make sure you are changing your route so that your body does not adapt and platueau.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 07:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nancy, if the intervals in the 20 MAS are interfering with your health cease and desist!

When it comes to fat burning and creating a calorie deficit intervals outdo moderate cardio - when you're talking a traditional 'low fat' diet. However, as LCers we burn fat as our primary fuel - whever you are going to burn doing cardio will come from fat stores. Do what you can do - 70% intensity, 75% intensity - it's all good.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

thank you both for your replies.

pt - i usually do something with a heart monitor since the rest of my body is dying to speed up I have to kind of restrain myself. So I do the cardio at the gym treadmill, elliptical and lifecycle.

nat - you are so right, I ended up at the hospital today and I realized I've been foolish. I'm going to wear a 24hr portable ekg tomorrow and they want me to do the 20mas so they can try and read where my heart is malfunctioning. They told me to take the coconut oil, caffeine anything that seems to irritate my heart and go for it. Now I'm really scared to.