Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-21-03, 04:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Porkrinds: The fact is that porkrinds in Europe is obviously a different thing than in US/Australia. In most countries in Europe we cannot use pork rinds in the induction phase recipes, - due to the extremely high sodium content.

Hi Nille!

I don't recall reading where sodium is restricted during induction and they're salted here in the US as well. Just to give a comparison, though, 3 slices of bacon (US style) have 480 mg. sodium. 1 oz. of pork rinds (US style) have 520 mg. sodium. Most people wouldn't think twice about eating 3 slices of bacon even during induction, so I don't understand what all the fuss over the pork rinds is about unless we're talking about eating an entire large bag (which I honestly wouldn't recommend!). One serving on my bag is listed as 1/2 oz.

Also regarding the protein comments from doctors. Doctors have been saying for quite a while the too much protein stresses your kidneys, but there are NO studies that have proven that to be true for people with healthy kidneys to begin with. What they often refer to as "stress" in the kidneys is that the glomular filtration rate (GFR) goes up when a large protein meal is consumed. This is exactly what the kidneys were designed to do...filter. It's equivalent to saying that too much excercise stresses the heart because it makes your heart rate go up. This (protein stresses the kidneys or causes kidney disease) is one of those things that has been repeated so many times that everyone simply assumes that it must be true and documented somewhere. Do a search of the web...you won't find any published studies that show it to be true. The next time your doctor tells you that, consider asking him or her where that information is found and if you can possibly have a copy of the study.
I realize that people are not always comfortable questioning their doctors, but keep in mind that while doctors do have a lot of education and knowledge, they are not infallible or above giving incorrect information.