Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 20:31

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 260/198/145 Female 65
BF:I do
Progress: 54%
Default Physically ill from my cheat meal!

I found this so interesting... so I've been waiting for weeks for my 'cheat meal'.. I like to plan a cheat meal once a month or so, and I really work myself up over what I'm going to eat that meal

So this month, after not cheating since Christmas, I was so worked up about Mexican Food that I talked a friend of mine into driving to the other side of town to eat at one of my favorite mexican places!

I was so excited I got there 30 minutes before her. And since this was my cheat meal, I ordered myself a nice margarita while I waited for her (but no chips till I sat at the table, I mean a girl has to have some restraint, right?!

So I had my margarita and when we got to the table, I really enjoyed sharing one basket of chips with my friend. I was in heaven, lord do I miss those yummy chips sometimes!

I ordered a mixed grill of sorts... meat/veggies/beans and rice. I had one flour tortilla and some of the beans/rice, but not much. At this point I was pretty much full. I ate two pieces of the meat (oh, and had another margarita)... and I stopped, FULL and almost miserable.

Or so I thought. About 10 minutes after stopping, I started to get this burning in my stomach. I broke out in a sweat, and I had to go to the bathroom for fear that I was going to throw up. I didn't, but I had 2 more of these episodes... where I actually had wet sweats, burning up from the lower part of my stomach up to my rib cage, and had to breath through this...

Now I remember a few months ago having a margarita and something similar happening. I ended up going to bed that night.

I'm guessing there's too much sugar in margaritas now? I mean I drink pretty regularly, but always red wine or diet tonic/ vodka... apparently with my new lifestyle tequila and lime juice are out!

So, does anyone else react -almost- violently to certain 'cheats'? I almost feel like my body can no longer handle things! Not that I'm complaining necessarily, but I find it most interesting never the less.

I do hope I didn't gain too much. My friend hadn't seen me since Thanksgiving and she couldn't get over my changes in my body and face! What a great feeling it was
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 20:40

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 283/279/190 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 4%

oh sweetie let me tell you!! i get VERY ill any time i eat anything off plan (which is about once every other month or so) AND i have discovered im allergic to chocolate.... rash. icthing sweating. bumps.. all that fun stuff...blah.
i go out for mexican food with my sister once every 2 months or so and i do ok with it but i always get chili rellenos.. but at christmas dinner at adams moms i ate a few cressent roll puff things and 2 sweet potatoes and didnt even want to get out of bed the next day...
i cant drink anymore either.. wanted a margarita so bad for my birthday but i remembered how sick they made me before. got upset and had some rum the other night.. same thing... yuck.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 20:58

Thanks Amanda

I do alright with other cheats it appears... at Christmas I even had a piece of pecan pie and nothing bad happened.

It appears to only be margaritas at this point... and I do so love them...

And let's hope that I'm not upping my weight next week on our weigh in! LOL

***Um... I posted this in the main forum because it wasn't a Confession... it was more of a question to see if anyone else gets sick. Frustrated I got moved because it seems the responses are so much slower here. Ah well, I'll get over it.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 21:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 180/150/140 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Have you had margaritas before without this happening? If not, maybe you're allergic to tequila. Some people can't tolerate it. (My mom is one, it makes her very ill.)

If you have had margaritas and have been fine afterwards, then you're not allergic to tequila, so it must be something in the carb area, or all of it.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/297/180 Male 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

No margaritas! Noooooo!!!!
LOL... I admit I do miss them. I feel for you.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 21:59

Plan: 25 carbs or less a day
Stats: 240.6/240/175 Male 70 inches
BF:Ohh Yeah
Progress: 1%

Why move this? there is plety of posts more off the topic than this...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 22:03

Plan: Lowcarb
Stats: 283/279/190 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 4%

i guess maybe admitting to a cheat = confessing.. who knows?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-09, 23:23

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

that Mexican thing is not so crazy. Several years ago, I was lo carbing successfully. I had a few well planned "cheat meals" a month and it worked well. Like you , I planned very carefully b/c there was no second chance for at least a week.

I have a bizarre weakness for fresh salsa and chips (not grocery store stuff but homemade or Mexican restaurant stuff only). I rarely indulge, but when I do it is hard to stop.

So my meal of choice was mexican with a margarita and chips and salsa. I had to leave the restaurant before we could order dinner b/c I felt weak and dizzy. By the time we got to the car....get this- I went blind -for about 5 minutes. As we were heading to the ER, I started to feel better, went home and made a doc appt the next day. Explained the incident, blood work and physical all normal. Sent to cardiologist, had an ekg, all normal. Never explained. Doc said I was probably in process of fainting to lose vision.

This almost happened a second time...after extreme lo carbing and again the chips and salsa. I cannot stop eating this stuff whether I am dieting or not so I avoid it. I think it is the corn as I feel very carb loaded and woozy after corn bread, grits, polenta etc.

It is not the tequila, I can assure you, since I have enjoyed this w/o incident on a a number of occasions.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 08:01

Well I don't know... this did happen in a similar way the last time I had a margarita, so I'm betting on the 'rita's at this point. But you can bet I will consider my cheat meal next month differently! I DO love those chips and salsa though... and while I have no urge to eat them now, I might in a month LOL

Thanks for all the replies! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that gets sick from eating off plan!

Now hopefully I didn't mess up my losses, as I'm really looking forward to hitting the 180's soon!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 08:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmonden
Why move this? there is plety of posts more off the topic than this...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought this... you know, since it was my post and all maybe I'm a bit prejudice

But it wasn't meant to be a post on confessing a cheat. I don't feel badly about planned cheats, so no need to confess... but hey, I'm a reformed Catholic, so perhaps I take confession to a different level anyway
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 08:37

BF:
Progress:

There are people allergic to tequila and cannot drink it, just as there are people allergic to any food or drink. Mexican food is pretty heavy, and there could have been an ingredient that set it off. Those chips and salsa sound mighty potent!

Pam, what is a reformed Catholic? Someone who left the church and came back?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 09:11
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

If my cheat includes wheat or corn, I get the same thing. Hot, wet sweating, heart palpitating, can't breathe. It's almost like I'm having a panic/anxiety attack. I have to sleep it off.

I ALWAYS gain 9lbs after a cheat. No matter how little, or how large an amount, it's always 9lbs. It takes me a week to get it off. It's just not worth it anymore.

Took me a few times to learn that.

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/189/154 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 38%

Whenever I cheat I also get stomach pains. It feels like my stomach has shrunk when on Atkins (the actual organ) but when I eat carbs it has to expand really quickly and that is what causes the pain.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 11:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You might want to consider that your body might be responding badly to a food you're intolerant of. Often times when you've been away from a food your body doesn't like you develop a stronger immune reaction to it when you do eat.

Wheat is often the culprit.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-09, 09:25

BF:
Progress:

I have a hard time with fried foods. Maybe it's the flour? It just doesn't sit well with me, like a mattress inside me, and bloating and gas. Nix is right, it isn't worth it.