Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 15:04
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Which pedometer do you use?

I'd like to know which pedometer you use and why you like it/dislike it.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:20

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

just commenting cuz Id like to know too. I do know they are fairly cheap....I think my clients have quite a few between the two of them.....maybe I'll ask for one.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:28
The Patient Loser

BF:

I did buy one from Walmart for $11, but I'd really love to get one of those iFIT or Fitbits, only they are quite expensive. Since I'm looking to make fitness part of my life, I feel it would be worth it, but honestly, I've never used a pedometer in my life, so I don't even know what I'm looking for it to do, or how cool it is to have one.

The one I bought will calculate steps, miles, and calories burned. I figure it's a start.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:35

BF:

When I was on Lindora/Lean for Life there was one in the "package" of goodies. I think 4,000 steps was a start.....then gradually increasing. I think it is an amazing tool to get you moving

The bits and such are amazing as well....but way too expensive for me....on the news they were showing really cute fit bracelets in different colours....gatta match your garb LOL....kind of over the top for me...but they will sell no doubt.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:40
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyDinCA
When I was on Lindora/Lean for Life there was one in the "package" of goodies. I think 4,000 steps was a start.....then gradually increasing. I think it is an amazing tool to get you moving

The bits and such are amazing as well....but way too expensive for me....on the news they were showing really cute fit bracelets in different colours....gatta match your garb LOL....kind of over the top for me...but they will sell no doubt.

Ha ha, yeah. I saw the other colors and stuff and thought that I'd probably not do that at all, and if I did, it would be with birthday money or something. We're kinda frugal that way where we don't just make 100 dollar purchases 'cause we want to. LOL

I think they are super cute tho.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:46

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

If you have a smartphone, you can download any number of pedometers for free. When I bought my new Nano it came with Nike Plus already loaded. It's nice to only have to have the one device, but it can be inconsistent on occasion. I walk the same routes and can have the step count vary by as much as 1500 depending how far I go.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 17:48

BF:

for that kind of money....I'll continue to buy quality shoes...that out weighs all the gadgets money can buy.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 18:19
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
If you have a smartphone, you can download any number of pedometers for free. When I bought my new Nano it came with Nike Plus already loaded. It's nice to only have to have the one device, but it can be inconsistent on occasion. I walk the same routes and can have the step count vary by as much as 1500 depending how far I go.

I know I'm totally in the dark ages, but I don't have a smartphone! If we do get them sometime soon, I will check out some pedometer apps for sure. Thanks for sharing!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 18:20
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
for that kind of money....I'll continue to buy quality shoes...that out weighs all the gadgets money can buy.

Smart lady.

Believe it or not, I have no idea how to shop for those either!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 19:22

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hubs got me a FitBit One for Christmas. It keeps track of your cals burned, steps distance, has a clock, flights of stairs, and if you really care, your sleep patterns.

It's been great. You get an account and you can view all your stats on their site. You sync the thing by plugging a dongle (it's a little bluetooth thingy you plug into your USB port). You are supposed to be able to stand within 20 ft to sync it, but I've always had to be closer. It's rechargable. Annoyingly though, the idiot thing won't sync any more. I'm not sure yet whether it is a "Microsoft update broke something again" or I sweat too much on it. Either way, it's a bummer. But it still counts steps and distance. I can't input my new weight so it can change the calorie burn stat though. Oh well...

It's expensive though. And easy to lose if you aren't super careful. I'd go for something cheaper, personally. Other FitBits cost less. The One is just a supped up model that really isn't any better than a lower-end one.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 19:26
The Patient Loser

BF:

Thanks so much for all the info, Jess! I'll take a look around to see what all there is. I really love the syncing idea, but I would hate it if it stopped working.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 19:39

BF:

Oh believe me....if I got one and it stopped working....Id have a new one in a second! I think someone here uses one too...I recall reading in a J that it took 2 minutes for her to fall asleep ( yup Im a nosy troll ) LMAO. Kristi, there is a web site somewhere out there that literally will tell you what shoes and size to buy...I didnt bookmark it tho. I ended up with NewBalance, they are AMAZING! Just looked for the number its rubbed off already :? Great.....I ordered online and saved 20 bux off retail....when I get another spam from where I ordered Ill link ya

edit: how can they tell you what shoe to buy....you get a brown paper bag and oil for foot measurements and check the diagrams for your arch etc....kinda fun LOL
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 19:55
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
Oh believe me....if I got one and it stopped working....Id have a new one in a second! I think someone here uses one too...I recall reading in a J that it took 2 minutes for her to fall asleep ( yup Im a nosy troll ) LMAO. Kristi, there is a web site somewhere out there that literally will tell you what shoes and size to buy...I didnt bookmark it tho. I ended up with NewBalance, they are AMAZING! Just looked for the number its rubbed off already :? Great.....I ordered online and saved 20 bux off retail....when I get another spam from where I ordered Ill link ya

edit: how can they tell you what shoe to buy....you get a brown paper bag and oil for foot measurements and check the diagrams for your arch etc....kinda fun LOL

That sounds fun, I'd like to check it out!

At this point, I'm doing all my exercise barefoot....but then again, I do all mine at home.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 20:07

BF:

I do all mine at home too and around my home when I walk outside....aside from yoga what else do you do barefoot? be mindful of your back and knees if they start hurting even a little bit you should get some shoes
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-14, 20:19
The Patient Loser

BF:

Quote:
I do all mine at home too and around my home when I walk outside....aside from yoga what else do you do barefoot? be mindful of your back and knees if they start hurting even a little bit you should get some shoes

I do my Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk. I'm sure you are right. I haven't had any pain doing the mile, but I did have some pain in my knee doing the Wii Active workout.