Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 08:23
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Deep Vein Thrombosis danger in cars, trains and buses

Passengers face DVT danger in cars, trains and buses too
By Ben Webster, Transport Correspondent

CAR occupants on long journeys are as likely as airline passengers to develop potentially lethal blood clots, according to a study commissioned by the Government.

All forms of transport involve a small but increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT) on journeys of four or more hours, the study found.

People undertaking long journeys were found by the study to be three times as likely to develop blood clots in the veins of the legs, thighs or pelvis. The clots can be fatal if they travel to the lungs.

DVT has often been described as “economy-class syndrome”, and most of the well-known cases have involved airline passengers. But the study, which involved several research projects, found that the risk was the same whether the journey was made by aircraft, car, train or bus.

The people found to be most at risk from developing DVT were those travelling for more than 12 hours, those using oral contraception and those taller than 1.9m (6ft 3in). The overall risk was found to be small. In all incidences of DVT, only 1 per cent of cases proves to be fatal.

The project was funded by the Department for Transport, the Department of Health and the European Commission, and carried out by a consortium of medical research scientists under the auspices of the World Health Organisation. The Department of Health website offers advice on reducing the risk of developing DVT during journeys. The department advises travellers to move their feet, or walk around as regularly as possible. It is also important to drink water or other non-alcoholic drinks to avoid dehydration.

This month, the House of Lords ruled that travellers who suffered DVT on flights could not sue the airline. The ruling was made against eight families of DVT victims who had sought legal approval to claim compensation from the airline industry.

They argued that factors such as cramped seats played a significant role in causing DVT. Lawyers representing the families have said that they may take their case to the European courts.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/articl...1953078,00.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 17:40

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Any time you're immobilized for any length of time you are at risk of DVT, but for most people the risk is very low. Most chiropractors will tell you to take a break at least every 2hrs when driving, flying, etc.....just get off the road and walk around....or in a plane, just walk around. If you CAN'T walk around, keep your legs moving, especially pointing your toes up and down to stretch the muscles. And very important.....if you suspect a clot (DVT) do NOT massage the area!!!!! It will likely be reddened, warm to the touch, and possibly swollen.This can cause the clot to dislodge and travel to the heart, lung or brain. It's ALWAYS best to have it checked out if you're not sure.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 19:42
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
It's ALWAYS best to have it checked out if you're not sure.

Yesss!!!

This is so true as I've gone through a DVT twice in the past 5 years. I now have to time myself when sitting on the computer because my clots came because I was spending too much time online...... embarrassed to admit to playing too much online backgammon!! I don't play any longer!!

By the way, if you have a chronic cramp in your calf and are in pain, get it checked out.... its called a doplar sonogram.

Be very careful if you sit too long also...anywhere ....not just traveling!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 13:16

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySue48
.if you suspect a clot (DVT) do NOT massage the area!!!!! It will likely be reddened, warm to the touch, and possibly swollen.This can cause the clot to dislodge and travel to the heart, lung or brain.

Excellent advice. My first reflex would be to rub it for sure
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 15:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Yesss!!!

This is so true as I've gone through a DVT twice in the past 5 years. I now have to time myself when sitting on the computer because my clots came because I was spending too much time online...... embarrassed to admit to playing too much online backgammon!! I don't play any longer!!

By the way, if you have a chronic cramp in your calf and are in pain, get it checked out.... its called a doplar sonogram.

Be very careful if you sit too long also...anywhere ....not just traveling!!
Are all clots considered DVTs? I've had three in the last 20 years or so. Two in my right knee and one in my chest (which traveled across my shoulder and down my back). All disappeared on their own, two while I was in a hospital getting tests done on them. They 'felt' to be near the skin and did not seem to be 'deep'. I had horrible doctors at the time and could get no information from them. The only information I got was from the technicians doing the tests who told me that the clot had disappeared during the test.

I have since started taking a daily aspirin and recently added fish oil (omega-3s) to 'thin' my blood.

Unfortunately, sitting is part of the civilized world's lifestyle.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 16:17
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Are all clots considered DVTs? I've had three in the last 20 years or so. Two in my right knee and one in my chest (which traveled across my shoulder and down my back). All disappeared on their own, two while I was in a hospital getting tests done on them. They 'felt' to be near the skin and did not seem to be 'deep'. I had horrible doctors at the time and could get no information from them. The only information I got was from the technicians doing the tests who told me that the clot had disappeared during the test.

I have since started taking a daily aspirin and recently added fish oil (omega-3s) to 'thin' my blood.

Unfortunately, sitting is part of the civilized world's lifestyle.

Hi Mike!

I don't know if they are called DVTs......mine were found in the deep veins of my legs, hence the DVT diagnosis.

I do take aspirin daily also. I was tested for genetic abnormalties and have 1 of 2 that are applicable to this condition. If I had 2, I would've been put on blood thinners for the rest of my life...ugh!!

Maybe you should go for genetic testing too...3 clots is alot!!

Happy Holiday Mike!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-05, 19:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Hi Mike!

I don't know if they are called DVTs......mine were found in the deep veins of my legs, hence the DVT diagnosis.

I do take aspirin daily also. I was tested for genetic abnormalties and have 1 of 2 that are applicable to this condition. If I had 2, I would've been put on blood thinners for the rest of my life...ugh!!

Maybe you should go for genetic testing too...3 clots is alot!!

Happy Holiday Mike!!
I think that I will skip the genetics test. No matter what they would tell me, I would not take blood thinning medicine (AKA rat poison).

And a happy solstice to you! From now on the days get longer!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-05, 01:43

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

DVT is a clot that is in a non-superficial vein, as in one deep inside or under the muscle. Veins depend a lot on the massage of the muscle to work properly. If you don't move your legs, or arms for long periods of time, the blood can pool and then start to clot. When the clot attaches to the side of the vein it causes an inflamation, so you often see redness, swelling, and a not feel to the area.....but all of these symptoms are not always present.

Clots can form in the superficial veins, but aren't common and usually not as dangerous.

Anyone who has had more than one blood clot, episode of DVT and/or pulomary embolism should be very careful about eating foods that can increase clotting. At the time of the clot diagnosis, testing with ultrasound and other means should be done. While I agree that "blood thinners" can wreak havoc in your body, there are some that may need them. I don't think genetic testing is necesarily needed tho.....simple blood clotting tests can tell you if you clot fast or slow....and the slower you clot, the better....within reason of course.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 19:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I know I'm bumping a thread from many years ago but reading through the responses I felt the need. Judynyc makes great comments which is typical.

I have idiopathic recurrent DVT. After the second one my left femoral vein was completely blocked with scar tissue. It was what prompted me to start Atkins. Once the blood tests came up negative (50% of the possible causes are blood/liver/genetic related) I was left with the possibility that I had cancer (40% of those who don't have a blood/liver/genetic disorder) and wanted to lose weight before I had to start any cancer treatments. So far all tests are negative so at least I've got that going for me.

The best source I have found on how to diagnose the cause of DVT is http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=1550 . After reading it and showing it to my doctor, we found that one of the protein tests I had was incorrect and had to have it redone.

DVT is no joke. 1/30 patients die of a pulmonary embolism before getting to the ER. 1/100 die within a week after getting there. 1/10 die of cancer in two years. Pay attention to your body, listen to your doctor and take your rat poison!

Last edited by inflammabl : Mon, Jun-17-13 at 19:14.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 19:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've got a gene that predisposes me to it. I'm glad I had my genes tested, now I can take precautions! Although, I realize I don't know what precautions I should take. I guess I should mention it to the doctor tomorrow.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jun-17-13 at 19:52.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-17-13, 20:42
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
I know I'm bumping a thread from many years ago but reading through the responses I felt the need. Judynyc makes great comments which is typical.

I have idiopathic recurrent DVT. After the second one my left femoral vein was completely blocked with scar tissue. It was what prompted me to start Atkins. Once the blood tests came up negative (50% of the possible causes are blood/liver/genetic related) I was left with the possibility that I had cancer (40% of those who don't have a blood/liver/genetic disorder) and wanted to lose weight before I had to start any cancer treatments. So far all tests are negative so at least I've got that going for me.

The best source I have found on how to diagnose the cause of DVT is http://www.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=1550 . After reading it and showing it to my doctor, we found that one of the protein tests I had was incorrect and had to have it redone.

DVT is no joke. 1/30 patients die of a pulmonary embolism before getting to the ER. 1/100 die within a week after getting there. 1/10 die of cancer in two years. Pay attention to your body, listen to your doctor and take your rat poison!

I'm sorry that you're facing this. Did they tell you to start to wear surgical support hose yet? I suggest that you ask about them if you weren't told to do this.
They come in different degrees of compression. I wear the heaviest, 30-40s. I get them from:
http://www.supporthosestore.com/?gc...CFcqh4Aod034Agw

Good Luck!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 05:01

Quote:
I'm sorry that you're facing this. Did they tell you to start to wear surgical support hose yet? I suggest that you ask about them if you weren't told to do this.
They come in different degrees of compression. I wear the heaviest, 30-40s. I get them from:
http://www.supporthosestore.com/?gc...CFcqh4Aod034Agw

Good Luck!

Support hose? No real man would wear a support hose. Support hose. Pleah. What do you think I am, some girly man? Please. I do wear a G-sock. 30-40mmHg Sigvaris like a fighter pilot. Yeah.

BTW - Thanks to you and others I've lost so much weight that I've dropped a whole size in G-socks (L to M).
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 05:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've got a gene that predisposes me to it. I'm glad I had my genes tested, now I can take precautions! Although, I realize I don't know what precautions I should take. I guess I should mention it to the doctor tomorrow.

My BIL (not related by blood) got a PE a few months after I got my first blood clot. He was fortunate to survive but after all the tests they found that not only did he have a genetic issue, he also passed it on to his two daughters. He takes warfarin. His daughters don't.

There is an age issue with the frequency of PE's/clots. The older you get, the more likely it is to occur and it increases at an exponential rate. When you're young, it is very unlikely to be an issue. When your old, it is more likely. Since I didn't have the genetic cause I never researched the proper age to start warfarin. Your family doctor might know. The way to ask him/her is not to say, "Should I be on blood thinners" but "At what age should I start blood thinners". The answer to the former is "No". The answer to the latter is a number you can use. He'll probably want to wait until if/when a problem manifests itself as warfarin has some side effects that are not good... especially if you aren't meticulously monitoring the dosage.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 08:02

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow. What a timely bump - I have vein surgery scheduled for Friday this week. I went in originally to have some spider veins removed and was told I had deep vein insufficiency in both legs that needed to be dealt with first. They ran all the dopler sonogram tests, I was there for more than an hour. I don't know if I've ever had a blood clot, but the young woman who sat next to me at work died of a sudden Pulmonary Embolism at Christmas, so it's on my mind a lot.

I'm going on a long plane journey in August and will be ordering the support hose from the link above to be on the safe side.

On a final note, my gut instinct tells me that if I hadn't been addicted to walking and long hikes for the last 30 years I would have been in big trouble by now. Not smoking, eating low carb, and walking might be the three best things we can do for our health.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-13, 08:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I hope my low carb diet will protect me from some of the danger. In my reading yesterday it sounded like high carb consumption was an issue.