Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 12:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%
Default High FBS normal A1c what's going on?

My FBS was up to 126 (highest I have ever seen was 116) but A1c was 4.5

I am aware of "Dawn Phenomenon" and the "Somogyi effect" and not on any medications.

I wondered if anyone else has this issue?
BTW I fasted from midnight till 2PM when I went in for the test -- except for a cup of coffee in the am :]

My HDL went up to 65 and Tri down to 110 so they were impressed with that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 12:41

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You might enjoy reading Peter at Hyperlipid on "physiological insulin resistance."

Clarification of Fasting Blood Glucose

Some fun quotes:
Quote:

A LC eater has a FBG of 5.5mmol/l, [100 in US terms] technically pre diabetic, but blood insulin is 3.5 IU/ml. This is VERY low. Glucose is in very short supply but blood glucose is maintained by physiological insulin resistance, ie the muscles are full of triglycerides assembled from free fatty acids (NEFA) from lipolysis. The LC eater has breakfast, with enough protein from his eggs or particularly casein from his yoghurt to raise insulin from 3.5 IU/ml to 5.0IU/ml. This inhibits lipolysis enough to reduce NEFA in the bloodstream, intramuscular triglycerides fall and muscle insulin sensitivity returns. There's minimal glucose coming from the gut and so plasma glucose drops to between 4.0 and 5.0mmol/l, probably nearer 4.0mmol/l. It fluctuates between 4.0 and 5.0 after and between each LC meal. In the early hours of the morning there is a growth hormone surge and NEFA from lipolysis peak early morning to give insulin resistant muscles and an elevated FBG.

A high carb eater with FBG of 5.5mmol/l implies chronic hyperinsulinaemia, 24/7 and is looking for something to die from.

A LC, very high fat eater with a FBG of 5.5mmol/l implies they haven't had breakfast yet. They are not going to be hyperinsulinaemic at any stage. Unless they eat a bagel instead of their normal bacon and eggs that is. If they do this their blood glucose will hit 10mmol/l before insulin can shut down lipolysis and get the muscle accepting glucose.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 12:48

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Could it be that the average of highs and lows are giving a good A1C that does not take into account the reactive hypoglycemia? I have heard of that happening. What did the doc say?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-09-15, 21:59

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I take it the fasting BG was a one-time test at the doctor's office? If you have such an outstanding A1c, your blood sugars must be pretty good most of the time. I wouldn't put too much stock in one blood test, done after a fast that you are probably not used to. My fasting blood sugars go up and down during the day.

If you are at all concerned, I highly recommend getting yourself a meter and some test strips. Both are quite inexpensive now. Do some testing at home to get an idea of what is going on over time, it can be quite revealing. But honestly, I would not be too concerned with an A1c (and other results) like that, and if your diet is good.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 19:04
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Could it be that the average of highs and lows are giving a good A1C that does not take into account the reactive hypoglycemia? I have heard of that happening. What did the doc say?
"You have an Pre-diabetic number test again in 3 mo."
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 19:08
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
I take it the fasting BG was a one-time test at the doctor's office? If you have such an outstanding A1c, your blood sugars must be pretty good most of the time. I wouldn't put too much stock in one blood test, done after a fast that you are probably not used to. My fasting blood sugars go up and down during the day.

If you are at all concerned, I highly recommend getting yourself a meter and some test strips. Both are quite inexpensive now. Do some testing at home to get an idea of what is going on over time, it can be quite revealing. But honestly, I would not be too concerned with an A1c (and other results) like that, and if your diet is good.
That's what I figure my usual readings between meals is 88, so it's probably a fluke.
I have a meter, but no strips left. I can probably buy a meter w/strips cheaper. It's like buying another printer every time the Ink runs out.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 19:16

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
"You have an Pre-diabetic number test again in 3 mo."

Is that a test to see what's happening over time? Like a glucose challenge or whatever they call it? I hope you figure it out.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 23:40
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Is that a test to see what's happening over time? Like a glucose challenge or whatever they call it? I hope you figure it out.
No, just a routine FBS blood draw.

Anyway the "glucose tolerance test" is basically meaningless for low-carbers. I would refuse that test.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-15, 17:09
Grease is the word!

Exclamation Lab Goofed

Quote:
True2Go meter from Walgreen's and HEB's Plus don't indicate any problems -- mine is consistently lower now than the usual 88 running 81 - 85.
Two hr after a huge carby lunch 106 mg/dL at 5 hr it's 94
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-15, 18:07

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Ha! Congratulations!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-26-15, 21:00
Grease is the word!

At ~ Seejay

It's 109 mg/dL now, but Iv'e had a few Pony bottles of beer to celebrate

Looking forward to the Moon show tomorrow -- might goto a friends house. They have Internet and a backyard observatory!

FYI All: home meters are only accurate to ~ 15% some 10% meters in the higher or lower reading ranges are "available" but very expensive.

See my "Why home meters can't ..." post above.

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, Sep-27-15 at 00:36.