Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 13:05

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%
Default Help! Trying To Quit And Gaining Weight

OK, I'm trying to quit, but I'm bitchy as all get out and the scale is now up to 140.4. No, I haven't changed my stats yet, 'cause it is also TOM and my weight hasn't been that high yet for a week, but I'm so scared that I'll end up back at 205 where I started 2 years ago. I think it is just the metabolism change 'cause I'm still exercising and I haven't been eating more than usual. Actually I've eaten less than normal because of my work schedule. I'm frustrated and ready to restart smoking.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 13:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/218/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

grats on quitting! It is hard and yes from what I understand quitting smoking does affect your metabolism. I gained weight but I felt much better I could breathe and I smelled better. There are many reason you decided to quit whatever they were think about it. What is the worse of two evils
Please hang in there You can do this breath deep and maybe go for a walk I wish you all the best Sincerely~MargoP

PS. I gained 30lbs since I quit. Now that I am pretty comfy with being a nonsmoker I have started on weight loss. 9lbs down. There is hope

I have quit for 9 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, 13 hours, 34 minutes and 19 seconds (299 days). I have saved $1,254.42 by not smoking 7,489 cigarettes. I have saved 3 Weeks, 5 Days and 5 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 4/11/2005 11:55 PM

#3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/218/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

one reason to quit or not to start smoking again

Lung Cancer
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 16:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Some weight gain from stopping smoking is not unusual. Adding a 30 minute walk daily should counteract the tendency to gain.

It is better to have the temporary weight gain than it is to keep smoking. Any weight that may be gained will be lost, but smoking damage may get to be permanent.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 17:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yes, adjustments need to be made. After years of living with an artificially elevated metabolic rate due to nicotine, you are now returning to your 'real' metabolic rate.
The good news is that the nicotine raised your metabolism by maybe 10%, so you're talking about an average reduction in calories burned of about 150-200 per day or so; as Mike pointed out, that should be overcome by about 30 minutes of walking (practice deep breathing while you're walking and get a bonus of helping your lungs to heal at the same time ). There is no reason for you to regain all the weight; cut back a bit and exercise a little more.

Quote:
It is better to have the temporary weight gain than it is to keep smoking. Any weight that may be gained will be lost, but smoking damage may get to be permanent.

Agree 110% Smoking is hurting you far more than a few extra pounds will.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 18:23
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Coming from someone who quit a 2pk a day habbit and gained bigtime I can only give ya my personal advice.. STAY on plan. Sure, maybe allow extra veggies,some nuts or other legal items but do NOT go free for all.. I did, telling myself, "Ohhh well just while Im going through the worst of the quit." PFFFFFFFFFFFFT, as if.. Keep the quit first off and stay the lc way... I wish you all the best with this and your weightloss journey.

Angel
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-05-06, 18:49

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Thanks for all the replies. I'm trying really hard. I just don't see how I can add any more exercise to my day. I already go to the YMCA 6 days/week an hour each time, plus I have a dog that I walk 3 times daily. My dog and I walk at least 0.6 mile each time we go out. I'm busy the rest of the day with kids and work. Adding more exercise sounds ideal, but it really isn't possible.