Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/120 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Portion Control

Hi everyone!

I just started Atkins Induction Phase. I would've liked to say I started it a week ago, but I've not been doing it strictly I think. These are the rules that I am breaking:

*Drinking caffeinated soft drinks (coke zero/diet coke)
*Chewing Extra gum
*Eating more (way more) than 4 ounces of cheese

So here I was, feeling pretty good about this diet cos it seemed that for once I was in control of my food consumption. Not binging and going crazy.

But this evening...I binged till the point of sickness. I had 200g of steak, then I ate some cheese, and at this point I was full. But I couldn't stop! I don't know why!!! My brain just shut down and I was on AUTO PILOT to the fridge and pulling out some minced beef that was leftover from my brother's pasta and then after that, I nibbled on fried broad beans. All this while watching TV. My brain finally woke up when my stomach started hurting from the excessive food.

I crawled to bed. I was in so much discomfort then... I passed out and woke up 2 hours later. I don't feel as uncomfortable but I feel like an absolute pig. I need help.

I am of course banning TV.

Did any of you have trouble with portion control or oversnacking or overeating when you started Atkins? Everyone keeps saying how you never feel hungry anymore, and you "forget" to have your meals cos you're still full from the last meal...is that true for all of you in Induction or is there an "adjustment" period where you break your old habit of over eating and having portion control discipline???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-06, 08:56

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I have a problem with portion control too. For me the first step was sticking to the low carb plan and I lost weight without paying attention to portion size. It was psychologically important for me to be able to eat all that I wanted of certain foods. I think that not trying to limit portions was the key to my initial success. Now as I get closer to goal, limiting portions is necessary and I am finding it easy to do it. As long as I am eating low carb, portion control does not seem to be a problem for me anymore. I have never gone significantly off program though(in three years) and I fear that if I did I might slip back into my old ways. That old adage really is true "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels"
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 02:18
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi disOBdian,

When I first started with Atkins, I had a problem with it too. I would cook up 500g beef (with veggies etc), eat half then still be starving and eat the other half too - in one sitting! I asked on this board about it and it was suggested I may be eating a lot of protein and not much fat. From my low fat days, I just automatically bought the extra lean beef from the supermarket and cooked with cooking spray etc. I found when I started cooking with a good amount of butter and changed back to the cheaper mince, I wasn't as hungry anymore. It still took a bit of self control to make sure I stopped when I'd eaten my max for that meal (500g meat in one sitting is way too much!) but it helped immensely. Then, it just started fixing itself and I naturally eat smaller meals and don't hang out for my next meal (like I used to).

So, that's my suggestion lol. Up your fat intake and that will quash a lot of your appetite. Also, give your body a little time to adjust to the new foods. Don't worry at the start about portion size too much but you really should stop when full. If you're unsure, stop eating for about 10mins and see if you want to eat after that. Don't eat in front of the tv hehehe .. but I'm sure you've learnt this lesson already. Also, a glass of water is always handy - often one confuses thirst with hunger so try some water next time if you've eaten and are still hungry. It may just be the sodium in the meal you've just had.

Good luck! Let us know how you went

e
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 02:49

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Make sure the cheese is the mature type, so you end up eating less of it.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 09:01

Stats: 143/143/120 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi! Thanks for the advice! I have started using more butter in my food. I am able to control my portions Mondays to Fridays cos I'll be at work and the lack of nearby delis or supermarkets help me control myself. But once I get home, I'll have a feast! Steak, fish, cheese, veges! ALL OF THEM! I get full, and it'll tide me till the next morning. I'm gonna slowly work on controlling my dinner. I am not really keeping track of my calories but I KNOW I am yet to keep below 20g carb continuously for 2 weeks. this is more due to my lack of portion control than anything else. I really need to discipline myself with my cheese intake. CHeese is my crutch when I start craving for snacks (i don't like olives very much) and carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 10:17
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

BF:

I was exactly the same!!

Ummm how did I overcome it ... I think I just started learning how to cook for one and put that in a bowl. Any extra in the pot goes straight into a container and into the fridge. I spend the rest of the time either talking with bf, friends or online reading in the Media section. If you like exercise in the evening, you could do this before or after your meal. Or maybe do the dishes, get your meals ready for the next day etc. How many hours do you have in the evening you need to control? It seriously gets easier with practice

e
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 22:52

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

In the last two weeks I cut out cheese and my acne cleaered up. For one of the few time sin my adult life I had not zits!

Cheese is a problem for me too.

my advice is to watch the portions as you say, but don't beat yourself up if you have the occasional splurge.

I wouldn't have been able to start this WOL, if I had to do it perfectly!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 02:26
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

BF:

Dave,

Have you always been a cheese eater? Or just since you started lc?

e