Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Default Another LCer stalled

Thrilled to death with the weight I have lost. Certainly continue to have faith in the LC WOE! Just wish I could start to lose weight again. I was doing so well - until the turn of the New Year. Haven't gained or lost much since then!!

I keep a journal and haven't really had time the past week to write, but I do well with keeping the carbs out - may need to micromanage them for a while!!

Just wanted to vent because I am getting tired of looking at 166# on the scale!!!

The frustration is getting to me - obviously not enough to try Stillmans or Fat Fast yet...

MaryB
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-02, 10:13

Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Wink Just passing by...

Hi Mary, was just poking around and read your post.

What I have found is this. A "stall" is 4-8 weeks in which you have no change in weight or measurements. I have lost inches and had no weight lose and the reverse too. Stay the course for 3-4 weeks and with still no changes, I added a little more carbs to my eating habits for one day. Then right back to the routine. Wait a few days and re-check measurements and scale again. Usually this sent my body into a mild shock, kind of throws off the body for a day or two and then will break the stall.
I also noticed that the weights I paused at for a while are weights I stayed at, on the way up, for a long time. The body seems to remember that weight and thinks it's the weight you should be at. (set-point) Just give it a little time. I personally stalled at 225lbs and just couldn't break thur for 2-monthes! Augh, I hated that one! But remembering that was a weight I was at for a while, while gaining, I knew it would only be a matter of time till I lost again.

Stay the course, it WILL happen! Hope this helped a little.

Cheers, John
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 20:01

Default Thanks!

Thanks John!

It's nice to hear from someone who has stalled for long periods and then went on to darned near goal! Good For You!!!

mb
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 10:12

Stats: 246.5/186.5/160
BF:
Progress: 69%

MaryB,

I can relate to what you're going through. For the past month I have hovered around 210. Sure, I got to 207.5 and up to 212, yet it has been nothing short of frustrating. Sometimes almost enough to eat that pizza with my son!

What was said in the post about past weights I think is fairly accurate. I seemed to be at 206 for several years, right before I threw on 40 pounds in a single year. I guess I expected to lose it faster than I put it on! hee hee

I read once before (gee, how many books have I read!) that during a stall, the body is transforming into its new weight. Who knows?

Best of low carbing days to you. You have come so far already!

Smile,
Live Love
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 12:43

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

So called "stalls" are a normal function of the body during a weight loss project. As John mentioned it's not really a true stall until it reaches lengthy periods of time...a month and more. I've survived a few myself and I understand the frustration that goes with it, but I do know that with patience and persistance, you will get going again. Often, posting menus in a journal will allow some of the food gurus around here to look over what you are eating and possibly spot something that could be slowing you down.

Marlaine
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 09:49

Almost forgot I started this thread!! Just an update - I do believe I had an actual stall - no weight loss, no iiches lost for over a month and a week, and even tho I understand it happens to most of us, that certainly isn't much of a pick-me-up day after day after day...

The good news is that I broke the stall! On Feb 9th I weighed in with a 5# weight loss and then in a few days I was down to 159.5# WOW!

I had reread the PP and Atkins sections on stalls, as well as here on the web site - completely stopped eating cheese, peanuts and mushrooms. Didn't take very long for the weight to start coming off again. Maybe coincidental, but I DOUBT IT!

Thank you all for your support and your comments!

One happy dieter,
mb
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 12:26

Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Thumbs up

WTG Mary!!

Thanks for the tip on your foods. I'm going to have to recheck myself. Recently gained 4lbs for 2-weeks now. Going to cut back on the foods you listed and see what happens. Thanks.

Cheers, John
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 07:46

Plan: atkins/x factor
Stats: 157/157/133
BF:
Progress: 0%

MaryB
Why mushrooms?----omg i live on mushrooms as i love them and they seem to be about the lowest veg about 0.6g carb per 100g according to British info (this is with fibre deducte)-----can they really stall?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 11:56

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

The only problem with mushrooms is that they are a fungus and will affect someone who is stalled by a yeast overgrowth. If you are losing, don't worry about it.

Dr. Atkins says its very difficult to lose weight if you have a yeast problem. The most common foods to avoid are (sugars and starches) cheese, nuts, mushrooms, vinegar-containing products and anything else with yeast in it i.e. bread and some vitamins.

I just started a yeast avoidance regime yesterday and dropped three pesky pounds as of this morning. I have been stuck for six weeks. This cannot be coincidence. The food is pretty boring, but it's got to be worth it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 20:11

Default That's why!

That's why I decided to stop using the mushrooms - I read through the stall tips in several books and websites - and the "fun-guy" can cause not so fun stalls...

Don't know if that was my particular problem, but I find plenty of other things to eat and I've lost another 10 pounds in a month!

mb
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

So glad to read that so many of you are breaking through your stalls!! I read 265 on the scale day after day for six weeks!! and had no change in the way the clothes fit etc. I didn't think of giving up, as I am committed to this wol, but it is so frustrating, and I know my friends were sick of my whining!! I have finally moved down to 263! Not much of a change but confirmation that the scale isn't broken! I to really cut back my cheese and nuts based on reading other posts and perhaps that was the key! Continued success to all of us!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 14:41

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 220/160.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Unhappy I know the feeling well

SusieQ,
I know the feeling well .... I've been at a dead stop since before the holidays... I DID splurge alittle for the holidays and held at the 178, but started behaving myself again after the new year... so that means legitamately it's been for at least 10 weeks no change in the way my clothes felt, or the scale (Good grief I'm starting to HATE that scale!!! )

My next weigh in for myself is the 15th of this month, and I'm truly hoping that I'll have something new to say... other than 178 178 178 178 178 ... as of this morning (3/9/02) I WAS at 176 ... but I've seen that before... but I was so happy -- I changed mystats, as a positive reminder....

Sally
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 13:03
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I found that artifical sweeteners were causing my stalls. I seem to be losing now that I gave them up (temporarily that is). At least I know that I can maintain using artifical sweeteners. I'm starting to get used to drinking water with my meals instead of Diet Rite.