Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 12:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227.8/196/167.8 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Antibiotics or Asthma medicine=stall?

I started Atkins and began running the begining of October, I lost just short of 30 lbs. Last 2 weeks, about the time I started taking this asthma medicine called QVAR (Beclomethasone Dipropionate) and an antibiotic (Amoxicllin), I've completely stalled. Are either of these 2 drugs know to do this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 14:50
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Prosdog,

I don't know about the antibiotics, but corticosteroids such as beclomethasone are known stallers. In fact they can be resonsible for weight gain at times. (I'm living proof )

I think you need to be really strict for a while with your plan, and you may soon recommence losing. Did the doctor say you will need to take the beclomethasone long term? Perhaps you'll be able to eventually decrease the dose which will help.

Many low carbers have found that their asthma has improved on this way of life. Once your infection has cleared, you may well find your breathing to be substantially improved. I hope so!

And congratulations on losing the first 28 pounds!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 15:25
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Antibiotics have no effect on either lowcarbing or weightloss / stalling. However, infections are known to cause elevated blood sugar and insulin ... diabetics often have to increase their insulin or other diabetes meds when they have an infection or virus. In a non-diabetic, the reaction is less pronounced, nonetheless the increased insulin would certainly affect your body's ability to burn fat. Coupled with the corticosteroid, this is the most likely cause for your stall.

As Rosebud stated, the beclovent can and will cause weight gain. It does this through 2 mechanisms .. (1) by increasing blood sugar (cortisones are known as glucocorticoids .. and (2) by causing sodium and water retention.

Try to have smaller more frequent protein-containing meals, and spread your carbs through the day rather than saving them up for one meal. This will help to prevent blood sugar and insulin spikes. You might also consider taking extra vitamin C, which has shown some benefit with asthmatic bronchospasm as well as infections .. http://www.healthwell.com/healthnot...ntentID=2929001

hth,

Doreen