Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: low carb in general
Stats: 288/282/160 Female 5'7
BF:toooo much!!!!
Progress: 5%
Default South Beach

Is South Beach actually a low carb program? Has anyone found much success with it?

Thank you,
MrsTU
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 09:14

Plan: Atkins.. somewhat
Stats: 286/268/160 Female 5'5"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 14%

I work in a bookstore and the South Beach Diet book has flown off the shelves.. and I keep hearing success stories about friends/relatives of the people that are buying it. I just checked it out from my store yesterday.. thinking about giving it a shot. It seems a bit more liberal than Atkins, but it is low carb.. just not AS low as atkins. It also has what they call Phase 1 which is similar to Induction and during that part it is verrrry much like atkins.. seems like after that it, it varies a bit.. keeping carbs around 30 a day and teaching you how to reintroduce things like bread, pasta, fruit back into your diet reasonably. Im still reading on it.. might give it a try.. but Im afraid it might to be too forgiving and I might need the discipline of the atkins plan. Anyways.. have a wonderful New Year and good luck!!
Tracy
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 09:45

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

This is a low carb perspective on the South Beach Diet by Dr. Byrnes

3. Book Review: The South Beach Diet

The South Beach Diet by Arthur Agatston, MD. Rodale, Inc., 2003.

With the popularity of low-carb diets reaching a high point recently, it was only a matter of time before someone adjusted it into "nutritional correctness." Enter the South Beach Diet by cardiologist Arthur Agatston, MD, of Miami, Florida.

The South Beach Diet is most certainly a low-carb eating regime with the usual carbohydrate foods such as bread (even whole grain), fruit, fruit juices, and rice, potatoes, and pasta excluded (or kept to a bare minimum) The emphasis is on high protein foods, non-starchy vegetables, and skimmilk and other non-fat foods. Of course, white sugar is out, as well as the whole gamut of processed carbohydrate snack foods. While there is certainly nothing unhealthful about eliminating or greatly reducing one's intake of carbohydrates and sugar, this book is full of shortcomings and is quite weak on the science which supposedly supports it.

In the first place is the content of the book. Of the books 310 pages, only about 100 are devoted to explaining the diet to readers. Sprinkled within those first 100 pages are real-life stories of people who succeeded on the diet. So the actual amount of writing from Dr. Agatston drops considerably. From page 108 on, however, the book's content is meal plans and recipes in line with the Diet's principles. While lots of the recipes look inviting and tasty, they all suffer from the same problem: They are full of low or non-fat ingredients, non-fat sour cream and half-and-half being favorite ingredients. Any recipe for chicken requires it to be skinless, again to get rid of those nasty saturated fats that Dr.
Agatston thinks are so lethal.

The book makes some bizarre and nonsensical claims about saturated fats. It claims that diets high in saturated fats cause chemical changes in the bloodstream leading to accelerated atherosclerosis and clogged arteries. They also raise the so-called "bad" cholesterol, LDL, which in the author's opinion, elevates one's chances of a heart attack and heart disease. Dr. Agatston is your basic run-of-the-mill cardiologist who adheres to the usual dietary claptrap taught about diet and heart disease. It does not seem to occur to him to check his theories with actual humanhistory. If he had done this, as Dr. Price had done several decades ago, he would have discovered the embarrassing truth that people who traditionally eat diets high in saturated fats do not suffer from heart
attacks or heart disease. It should also be noted here that the book contains no footnotes--not even a bibliography--to support any of the nutritional claims made.

Dr. Agatston gives the thumbs-up to politically-correct fats like canola oil and olive oil, but avoids butter like the plagues he thinks it causes. Instead, processed spreads are advocated and show up in a number of recipes. Nuts are OK, as well, due to their preponderance of monounsaturates. Fish oils are also ranked high on this diet. The author rightly gives the thumbs-down to margarine and shortening because of the trans-fatty acids in them. Despite this, margarine shows up in several of the books' recipes later on. Eggs are also viewed favorably, but egg substitutes show up in the recipes as well. He also totally avoids any dairy product with the fat still in it. The recipes are full of no-fat cheeses, skim milk, fat-free sour cream, etc. One wonders how any of the recipes on this diet could leave one feeling satiated or happy with the taste of the meals because fat is what makes food taste good and is also what makes one feel full after a meal. Animal fats are also the carriers of the fat-soluble vitamins A and D. There is no good source of vitamin A in this diet, something to be aware of considering how much protein one is ingesting. Vitamin A is required by the body to process and metabolize protein.

Though there is certainly nothing unhealthful about cutting out white flour, sugar, and processed foods from your diet, in the long run, the South Beach Diet has too many questionable components to make it a recommended form of eating day in and day out. Though people have certainly lost weight on the diet, the absence of animal fats is unhealthy, as well as the use of margarines, artificial sweeteners, egg substitutes, vegetable and canola oils.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 15:47

Plan: Atkins.. somewhat
Stats: 286/268/160 Female 5'5"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 14%

thanks for the input.. i think ill just take the book back and stick with my trusty ol Atkins Low Carb WOL . Its never let me down yet!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 15:30

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

There was something in the book yesterday that I read and he contradicted himself. Can't think of it right now.

I thought he was trying to copy Atkins but say that Atkins had the fat part all wrong. His diet also seemed alittle more strict to me in some ways...such as no cream or butter etc. Also the meat selections where not as desirable.

The book repeats itself alot too. I am going to get some of the recipes from it and sell mine on ebay. Live and learn I guess. I will stick to the plans that I know work!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:42

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Ive been thinkin of switching to SBD after I lose all of my weight, however I find the book is a little nonspecific. They give meal plans , but dont discuss caloric intake, or what you are monitoring . It is more of a good food/bad food approach I think. I dont know that I trust myself on it.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 11:36

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

Just thought I would take this time to say we should have our own South Beach forum on here
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 16:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 330/318/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I just got this book for Christmas and read it in one day. That's how little actual content there is. I like the food plans. I think it is low carb, although it opens by saying it isn't. I think it's worth reading, if only for some different food ideas.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 13:22
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 209/179.5/140 Female 5'8"
BF:I am afraid to ask
Progress: 43%

I have been doing the SBD but maintaining the Atkins approach on the saturated fats... I am primarily following the recipes that are low carb... some of them are still what I consider high in carbs as I am still in induction. I love the little follow up good fats good carbs guide... it has helped my hubby & myself when we go to the grocery store.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 01:39

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

One thing that I find really interesting is comparing Atkins For Life with some of these other plans. I don't know how many have read it, but if not I highly recommend it. I actually read it before DANDR (read the old Diet Revolution first) and found it very useful.

Dr. Atkins doesn't say a person can never again have pasta or breads or rice or what have you. He simply recommends the least processed and most natural foods one can get ahold of, and lists food that should be used frequently, moderately and sparingly (and of course things like processed flour is in the 'sparingly' list).

Anyhow, like I said, if anyone hasn't read the life plan book, you should. It is a very informative read.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 09:53

Plan: BANTA
Stats: 152/146/128 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Smile South Beach

I'm just starting South Beach, after losing 30 lbs over the last 3 years with different diets, I have found that Lo-Carb really works the best and is much easier to stick to. I have the last 15 lbs to lose (seems a lot harder when you get closer to your goal), and I thought I'd give South Beach a try. The first phase is similiar to atkins, but keeps you away from a lot of saturated fat. Later the plan re-introduces whole grains and fruits, but you can stay in the first phase to lose most of your weight before you move on. It just seemed very logical and healthy, to me (read the book!). I am wondering if there is a forum on this site for South Beach? Let me know, I'm anxious to talk to anyone who is following it.

Jayjoy[FONT=Arial]
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 11:18

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

What's wrong with saturated fat? The only saturated fat that has been shown to be unsafe is transfat, and that is allowed on South Beach. The low fat, no fat foods, again allowed on South Beach, are loaded up with sugar, That's healthy? Nyah Levi
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:51

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Red face wondering also....

....why this thread got moved and why there isn't a sbd forum. i really don't want to buy the book, but am interested in learning more. i haven't exactly plan hopped, but i have tried different plans as i don't lose on any of them. i lost my initial weight on atkins(the first 2 weeks). my body can't process on atkins. the big C left me with an apendectomy and i suspect ibs or shhould i say atkins aggravates the ibs. i have held for all these months. i am an exercise fanatic. though i have kicked back these last days. and now i am ready to regear. the only thing i can think to try now is to reduce the fat. sbd might just work or maybe i will stumble on to my own combination of lo carbing. i am also interested in knowing how sbd is working for people.
~catherine
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 14:31

Stats: 169/149/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I too would like to see a sbd forum. I bought the book and have read most of it... started 3 days ago. I guess it's all about various interpretations and maybe some selective recall of what you've read (about any diet). So, it would be nice to have a forum that would bring forth different perspectives. I've done Atkins for most of the past 7 months. What has bothered me about it is the elimination of too many nutrient rich foods and the reliance on nutritional supplements. 20 years ago, I did the Overeaters Anon thing and did quite well. That eating plan is basically the elimination of white flour and sugar. What I like about the sbd is that after the 2 week phase one (almost identical to Atkins 2 week induction) you can have certain fruits, whole grains, milk, and even a little dark chocolate. Supposedly, the carb cravings don't return while eating this way. This just seems so much healthier to me and if it works for me, I'll be thrilled!

Happy New Year to all of you!

Vicki
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 16:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

I think you can get alot of those important nutrients on Atkins also through nuts and seeds mostly, But also if you can trust yourself to stick to 1 slice every day or every other day I don't see why you cand whole grain bread as well as long as it is not made from sudar or white processed floue. Its easy to stay in you carb limit with that as still be getting the nutrient.