Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-12, 07:18
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Balsamic Chicken

My husband quietly ate his dinner last night as we sampled a new creation. He's not so fond of balsamic vinegar in salad dressings, so I knew up front this one might be "iffy" for him. I reminded him of how much he liked the balsamic steak we had years ago and he began eating. I honestly couldn't tell by his facial expressions if he like this dish or not. He usually does that when he DOESN'T like a dish. But when he reached for seconds, he said "This one's a keeper" with a smile on his face. Hate when he keeps me in suspense like that. Hope you guys like this one as much as we both did.

There used to be a little Italian restaurant here in town that went out of business a number of years ago. We loved their chef’s more unusual dishes and were sorry to see them go under. I was thinking of that place today while I was trying to decide what to do with two large chicken breasts. This restaurant used to serve a delicious grilled rib-eye steak smothered in a rich balsamic red wine sauce we both loved! I wondered if that flavor might be good on chicken so I decided to get creative this evening and came up with a tasty, quick chicken dish. Of course, I think this would be very good served over a char-grilled steak as well. This dish is not suitable until On-Going Weight Loss (OWL) phase due to the wine. You can substitute cream for the almond milk, which I’m sure would be very good indeed, but I was out of cream. My husband took one bite of this and said “This one’s a keeper. You can make it again any time” I just love when he does that with a new creation.

INGREDIENTS:

16 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut laterally into four thinner slices
2 T. unsalted butter
3 oz. onion, sliced
1 oz. sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped (I used the ones NOT in oil)
2 T. hazelnut oil
¼ c. balsamic vinegar
4 T. white wine
½ c. unsweetened almond milk
1 c. chicken stock, low-sodium
1 6.5 oz. can sliced mushrooms, DO NOT drain off juice
1½-2 T. peppercorns, slightly broken up (mine are black, red and white mixed)
Dash sea salt

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Melt the butter in a large non-stick skillet over high heat. Sear the pieces of chicken until golden and nearly done through. Remove chicken and add sliced onion to the skillet. Saute until they begin to caramelize and slightly brown. Add diced sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms with their juice. I placed my peppercorns into a quart ziploc bag, zipped it up and hit them 3-4 times with a meat cleaver to break them up a bit. Add pepper, salt and all remaining ingredients to the skillet and simmer 1-2 minutes to allow tomatoes to begin to plump up as they absorb some of the juices. Place chicken back into the pan and spoon some of the juices over the top. Pop into hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes to allow the vinegar and wine to caramelize and meld their wonderful flavors together. I don’t bother to thicken mine, but you certainly can if you are so inclined. Serve each chicken portion with some of the sauce alongside your favorite vegetable dish. Balsamic vinegar goes nicely with green beans, so I served mine with some of those to which I added some finely minced shallots.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 4 servings, each contains: (numbers reflect almond milk, not cream)

369 calories
17.7 g fat
10.15 g carbs, 1.73 g fiber, ;8.12 g NET CARBS
37 g protein
439 mg potassium
147 mg sodium
48% RDA Vitamin B6, 33% E, 31% Iron, 115% niacin, 58% selenium, 43% phosphorous
Sponsored Links