Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-15, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: modified S.B./Semi-Veggie
Stats: 206/153/145 Female 64 "
BF:too much to count
Progress: 87%
Default Help stomach pain after trying some wheat products

Hi all,
I been following the south beach diet for awhile and decide to try some wheat products to see how it goes weight wise. I haven't had any grains in about 6 months or more and missed them. So I tried some all bran cereal a few mornings ago for breakfast with a few blueberries, tasted great. A few hours later I developed severe stomach pains, felt extremely nauseated and had horrible heart burn and (sorry TMI) gas. I also experienced extreme hunger, shakes and sweating. I've never had a reaction like this to wheat before, so don't know what happened or why? It's been 3 days since this and my stomach is still cramping a little and of course I don't feel like eating much yet. Has anyone else experienced this when trying to reintroduce wheat products ? This makes me scared to ever eat wheat again. I know it wasn't the berries or almond milk I've used both of these things for awhile now and no problems with either of those so it had to be the cereal. Guess I go back to eggs and greek yogurt, definitely no more cereal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-15, 16:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbybythe
Hi all,
I been following the south beach diet for awhile and decide to try some wheat products to see how it goes weight wise. I haven't had any grains in about 6 months or more and missed them. So I tried some all bran cereal a few mornings ago for breakfast with a few blueberries, tasted great. A few hours later I developed severe stomach pains, felt extremely nauseated and had horrible heart burn and (sorry TMI) gas. I also experienced extreme hunger, shakes and sweating. I've never had a reaction like this to wheat before, so don't know what happened or why? It's been 3 days since this and my stomach is still cramping a little and of course I don't feel like eating much yet. Has anyone else experienced this when trying to reintroduce wheat products ? This makes me scared to ever eat wheat again. I know it wasn't the berries or almond milk I've used both of these things for awhile now and no problems with either of those so it had to be the cereal. Guess I go back to eggs and greek yogurt, definitely no more cereal.

Sorry that I haven't seen this until now. Hope that you're feeling better by now.
Yes, it's happened to any when they don't eat wheat/gluten for a long while and then have some. I think your body is telling you that you probably would do better without wheat/gluten in it.
You can try other seeds and or grains for cereal. There are gluten free oats that you can find online. Not all grains have gluten in them, think quinoa or rice. Chia and Flax seeds make a nice cereal too.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 07:59
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Yes, wheat is one of the products that I thought I was fine with, but testing over the last few years has shown that it can make me really ill - a single bread roll can make me ill for a week or two. I also get this reaction from oats as well - in fact I react more severely to oats.

As Judy says, your body is telling you that wheat is not a good thing for and you should avoid it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 08:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sometimes a long abstinence from wheat can point out an intolerance to it.

Read the book "Wheat Belly" to learn more.

My advice is pretty simple. Kind of like putting your hand on a hot stove. Don't do it. ;-)
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:05
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I concur. Don't do it.

I sort of 'phased out' gluten rather slowly, and one of the things I thought I was okay with was cheap beer. It's very low in protein anyway, and it's highly filtered, so very low in gluten (though not gluten-free.) I had some cheap beer last week. I was in agony the next day, and I'm STILL up 5 lbs with a bloated stomach. And yeah, the embarrassing toilet effects. -.-

Never again. I was thinking of doing a deliberate gluten challenge and getting my doctor to run me through the celiac disease tests because I'm laid off from work for the next month, and now, I'm like, NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Jul-27-15 at 09:16.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

There's some good advice from the other members . I just wanted to point out -- since you're following the South Beach program -- that Dr. Agatson has recently (2013) published South Beach Diet Gluten Solution and a companion cookbook

The link goes to the official SBD website, but you can always check to see if your local library has a copy you can borrow .. no need to buy anything
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:09
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I was thinking of doing a deliberate gluten challenge and getting my doctor to run me through the celiac disease tests because I'm laid off from work for the next month, and now, I'm like, NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.

I hear you The pain, the giant bloated stomach, the gas, the toilet trips - so not worth it!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 09:20
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
There's some good advice from the other members . I just wanted to point out -- since you're following the South Beach program -- that Dr. Agatson has recently (2013) published South Beach Diet Gluten Solution and a companion cookbook

The link goes to the official SBD website, but you can always check to see if your local library has a copy you can borrow .. no need to buy anything

Excellent, Doreen! Thanks!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-15, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: modified S.B./Semi-Veggie
Stats: 206/153/145 Female 64 "
BF:too much to count
Progress: 87%

Thanks all for your replies,
After searching online checking my symptoms and all I have been going through I seriously believe I'm either gluten sensitive or have Celiac disease. Doesn't really matter either way to me, the only way to feel better is omit all gluten products, which I have. I was shocked to discover that my sunflower seeds contain wheat, and my Lindt dark chocolate bar may contain some gluten.. bummer for me but not worth the pain or feeling like crap. I recently found the "South Beach Gluten Diet" book at Amazon, just started reading it. I have checked out some gluten free products, but most are high carb with lots of added sugars. So back to natural food diet minus any grains.I'm a little afraid of trying oatmeal...just not sure how I will handle it. I thought about seeing my Dr. but from what I've read to get a positive test result you have to add gluten back into your diet.. not something I want to deal with again after days of pain,bloating,gas (my poor family), loss of appetite and all the other stuff I have gone through. I will check out "Wheat Belly" too, always wanted to read it anyway just haven't had time.
A few other items I found out about gluten intolerance is a lot of people have other autoimmune problems, like me for example I also have Lupus. Also there is a connection between gluten intolerance and sometimes lactose intolerance..which I didn't know. Nothing like scouring the internet when you have a major belly ache 😫 and your looking for answers. I do feel a little better now and from what I've read it can take a few days to a few weeks to feel completely better. It's just a relief to figure out what was wrong.. I figured it had to be something I ate that didn't agree with me. Thanks again for all the help.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 20:28

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemack
Yes, wheat is one of the products that I thought I was fine with, but testing over the last few years has shown that it can make me really ill - a single bread roll can make me ill for a week or two. I also get this reaction from oats as well - in fact I react more severely to oats.

It may not be the gluten at all. Gluten is all the rave right now, but if (gluten-free!) oats give you the same or worse reaction, it means it is not likely gluten. There is new research suggesting that these reactions are triggered by certain carbs, not gluten (a protein).

Do research FODMAP - those are certain carbs in wheat, rye and oats, and a lot of more recent research out of Australia says they, not gluten, may be why "gluten free" diets work for some people without celiac disease.

If you can stand it, try gluten balls - pure gluten but none of the carbs
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 20:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

That is interesting--and one of the reasons why I eat NO grains. But gluten has its own issues, whether or not one is going to get sick from it. Gluten triggers the opioid receptors, leading one to want more and more.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 20:53
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika4
It may not be the gluten at all. Gluten is all the rave right now, but if (gluten-free!) oats give you the same or worse reaction, it means it is not likely gluten. There is new research suggesting that these reactions are triggered by certain carbs, not gluten (a protein).

Do research FODMAP - those are certain carbs in wheat, rye and oats, and a lot of more recent research out of Australia says they, not gluten, may be why "gluten free" diets work for some people without celiac disease.

If you can stand it, try gluten balls - pure gluten but none of the carbs

Thanks for the concern

I'll pass on the gluten balls thanks, I don't really have a need to eat gluten.

I'm very well aware of FODMAP having spent more than two years healing gut issues, including figuring out which FODMAPs I have a problem with, testing different foods etc.

I've gone from being able to eat only plain well cooked chicken and potato, to now being able to eat a good range of foods. This was accomplished with a comprehensive programme ( my own design) probiotics, digestive enzymes, other supplements and strict food restriction to allow my gut to heal.

In two and a half years I've gone from being hospitalised and seriously ill with gut issues on IV antibiotics (after getting progressively worse with gut pain, constant diarrhea - upwards of 20 times a day - and nausea), to no diarrhea at all, no nausea and no pain (apart from after testing garlic recently to see if my gut could now handle it - turns out very tiny amounts or infused is fine, but larger amounts are a no), and off of all gut related medications.

So yes, I'm aware of how complex and difficult gut issues are, and the patience that is required in healing the gut.

As you can probably tell, I'm really proud of being able to solve an issue that doctors had no clue about and were happy to just ignore as chronic.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 14:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have had similar kinds of gut issues. I was never hospitalized but I was pretty much housebound and living in the bathroom. For a while the only food I ate was ground lamb. I too had to figure it out on my own and it took a long time. You have reason to be proud that you figured it out for yourself. I know I truly enjoy having my life back. I'm happy just to be able to leave the house.

Jean
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 15:37
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have had similar kinds of gut issues. I was never hospitalized but I was pretty much housebound and living in the bathroom. For a while the only food I ate was ground lamb. I too had to figure it out on my own and it took a long time. You have reason to be proud that you figured it out for yourself. I know I truly enjoy having my life back. I'm happy just to be able to leave the house.

Jean

I know Jean, it's totally amazing getting your life back after having a long term illness like that. I'm so happy for you that you too managed to figure it out. I've found that docs are pretty useless when gut issues are concerned. I still have other issues so don't get out much, but I know that once I'm able, I'll be able to travel, eat out (I never used to be able to eat if I had to leave the house), and actually enjoy myself rather than having constant worry, and having to over medicate.